Menu

How do I get this clean? How do I prevent this next time? (cooking ?)

joannqn

I make this really popular breakfast/brunch snack that leaves the pan so stuck on that I just want to throw the pan away. I need help getting this pan clean, hopefully something other than throwing the pan away or scrubbing it for an hour.

The recipe involves cutting bacon in half width-wise. Use the bacon pieces to line the insides of a mini-muffin pan. Then fill with scrambled egg mixture. I used eggs, green onions, spinach, salt, and pepper this time, but you can use anything you like in the eggs. Then you bake it at a 350 oven until set. Pop them out and egg. They are yummy!

Anyway, the mini-muffin pan is impossible to clean. This last time I greased the pan very well, but it didn't help. It's been soaking since Sunday, and it is still impossible to clean. It took me an hour of carefully scrubbing each little cup in the pan to get it clean the first time, and I really don't relish the thought of doing that again.

So, are there any cleaning tips? This is/was a non-stick muffin pan.

Any way to prevent the sticking? I don't know if paper muffin cups would work with the bacon grease and eggs. I imagine them soaking through and being adhered to the bacon.

I have the same trouble with hash brown's in a muffin tin. I envisioned a hash brown cup with an egg baked in the center. The hash brown's are VERY stuck. I've been ignoring it for days. I'm gonna try sealing it Ina plastic bag with a splash of ammonia. That usually works.

Maybe this will work; it does for me. I put hot water in the pot and add enough baking soda (usually a lot) to make a runny paste - a watery slurry. It can take up to 3 days, with me changing the hot water, making the mixture again, once a day. Usually by the third day in very difficult cases, I can clean the item fairly easily. My other option is to throw it away, which I never want to do.

I like foil muffin liners. They work really, really well.

:iagree: Love these! Way better than paper liners. Cost a bit more but it's worth it. To me.

ETA: For cleaning, I know when you have gunk stuck at the bottom of a pot you can simmer water with baking soda to help get the gunk off. Maybe you can figure a way to do that with this pan. Oh, I see now RC has already suggested something like this. (Sorry, didn't read all the responses before I posted.)

Oh yeah! I have a silicone mini muffin pan and a liner. The sheet pan liner I use for my toffee and nothing sticks to it. I love it!

Once you cook bacon in silicone, I would suspect it would forever smell like bacon. LOL

My thought is the foil liners as well, they are great.

Other wise try soaking the pan with some Bar Tenders Friend. It has an enzyme in it to help disolve food.

What about just making it in a baking pan and skipping the muffin pan? Line the pan with parchment or foil to make it easy clean up.

What about just making it in a baking pan and skipping the muffin pan? Line the pan with parchment or foil to make it easy clean up.

I'm not sure how I would do that? In the muffin pan, they come out as a not-too-greasy finger food. Finger foods are what we are looking for at church as there generally isn't silverware for eating with. The table is mostly cookies, muffins, donuts, fruit, and other finger foods. I'm trying to get creative because I know there are gluten free people in the church that can't have most of what is brought.

About the pan...I tried filling it with water and sticking it in the oven to boil. Too little water so I ended up burning the egg to the pan. I think the pan is toast.

My usual combo for baked on stuff like that is (1) soak in really hot water for 10 minutes or so (if it's not hot enough to nearly scald coming out of your tap, then heat the water); (2) using a plastic scraper, scrape out any big or thick clumps; (3) dump out any water and liberally sprinkle with baking soda and scrub with a dish cloth.

I've made those before. Even in my non-stick muffin pan it was hard to clean.

I like foil muffin liners. They work really, really well.

I never thought of these! You are a genius.

For cleaning really hard to clean pots/pans I heat up vinegar (to boiling) and pour in the little compartments. Let soak and scrub. You may need to repeat.

My usual combo for baked on stuff like that is (1) soak in really hot water for 10 minutes or so (if it's not hot enough to nearly scald coming out of your tap, then heat the water); (2) using a plastic scraper, scrape out any big or thick clumps; (3) dump out any water and liberally sprinkle with baking soda and scrub with a dish cloth.

This is what I do as well.