Menu

Could this be a reaction to an antibiotic...

Joker

I took my last dose of doxycycline (sp?) on Friday. Tonight I have hives popping up all over my arms. I've never had hives before and the medicine is the only thing I can think of that is different. Should I just pop a Benadryl and not worry about it, or should I check in with the dr tomorrow about it being a reaction to the medicine?

Guest inoubliable

Seems like a bit too long between your last dose and the onset of the hives to think it's the medication. I'd think hives (or any allergic reaction) would have come up when you first started taking it. I'd pop a Benadryl tonight. If it doesn't go away by tomorrow, maybe give your doc a call.

idk - i had a boyfriend who had a rash once and I thought it was from abx, but the doctor said it wasnt possible. however, a few years later he had the same abx, and the same rash. i think his rash showed up on day 2 or 3, though. he never had any trouble breathing.

which is to say it could be, but i dont know what to tell you!

I was thinking it's been too long as well, but nothing else is different or new. I'll probably call in the morning just to double check but I can't afford to go in again so hopefully they won't ask. Oldest gets hives all the time due to her allergies but I have never had even one that I can remember. I guess I'll take a Benadryl and see what happens.

I would try Benadryl to be on the safe side and call in the morning.

I've also had good luck calling a pharmacy to ask drug related questions; even if it wasn't my own pharmacy, they didn't mind answering my questions.

Ds had huge hives about 12 hours after his last dose, the ER doc told me to just consider him allergic, just to be on the safe side. There are plenty of alternatives to what he reacted to, so it has not been an issue at all.

I once broke out in hives everywhere on my last or second to last day taking Bactrim. I racked my brain for what we could have changed and the only new item was the medication. The on-call place who prescribed it said there was no a chance it was related or I would have broke out in the first couple days. A coworker had me call her doctor whose nurse told me that there was a really good chance it was an allergic reaction, cease all further doses and write down Sulfa as a allergy from now on. Whether I am allergic or not, I am not going to take a chance because she said it could be worse next time.

I remember breaking out in spots after taking medication and being out in the sunlight for 30 minutes. Does your medicine say to avoid sunlight?

It does say I'm more sensitive to sunlight. I am one who is easily burned anyway so I always take that seriously. I was out a bit today but it's been chilly so I was in a sweatshirt. My face got sun though.

DS got a head to toe rash from amoxycillin when he was 2 years old. It happened on the second or third day he was taking it. Since it's been a few days since you took your last dose, it seems less likely to be related - but I wouldn't rule it out completely. You may want to avoid doxycycline in the future just to be on the safe side.

Hope the Benadryl gives you some relief!

I broke out in hives from Macrobid. It was awful. It wasn't the first time I had taken it. It was at least the 2nd, maybe even 3rd. It wasn't till day 3 or 4 that I broke out, 6 or 8 doses in. The spots from the sun aren't hives, from what I understand. Mine definitely was hives, VERY ichy and all over my body. I could even feel them in my throat at times. (scary) Also, my hives lasted 2wks after I stopped taking the meds. I couldn't take Benedryl because I was newly nursing twins and that can affect your milk supply. But, the dr. did put me on prednazone (sp?) after about a week and it did absolutely nothing. I was told I am definitely allergic to it. Also, one of my newborn twins broke out in a rash too! The pediatrian had me bring him in because she would not admit it could be from the antibiotic I was taking being in my milk. She took one look at him and admitted it looked like an antibiotic allergy reaction and to consider him allergic to Macrobid. So, now I put that on his medical records and everyone looks at me cross-eyed because it is almost exclusively used for bladder infections in women. Ha, ha!

Anyway, point is, it could be the antibiotic. It stays in your system for a while after you stop taking it. Doxy may even be one that is a slow release...I can't remember even though I've been on it several times. Unless you find another cause, I'd declare yourself allergic just to be on the safe side. Reactions do get worse with each exposure.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

idk - i had a boyfriend who had a rash once and I thought it was from abx, but the doctor said it wasnt possible. however, a few years later he had the same abx, and the same rash. i think his rash showed up on day 2 or 3, though. he never had any trouble breathing.

which is to say it could be, but i dont know what to tell you!

DD got a rash on day 5 of taking amoxicilin. Doctor said it was an allergy, avoid all the penicillin family of medicines and it doesn't matter that it was so late in the course of medication.

I would think it's too long, Ds is allergic to penicillin, and he got hives immediately. He'd take it many times before, and taken 3 doses that day, but that fourth dose just triggered something. Thank god I needed to ask him something and he was in the shower (this was years ago, he'd kill me for walking in on him now in the shower!) and I saw the hives. I gave him benedryl, but he still had hives and trouble breathing and to go to hospital. If I hadn't seen it as soon as it started (took the Meds, went right up and got in the shower) it might have been a lot more serious!

My grandma had a reaction to a sulfa drug a couple of weeks later - hives and breathing issues - that put her in the ER for hrs. They said sulfa drugs are bad for delayed reactions. A couple of years later they had to give her one again and the same thing happened.

DD had a reaction, full body hives and we have just called it unknown because she had had 5 that week. Last week the hospital doctor said it was more than likely the z-pack she took last and declared it that. I'm still treading lightly when she get anything!

It's not uncommon to break out in hives days after starting an antibiotic, even if you had taken it before with no side effects. This summer my 8 yo was on Amox, which he had been on before, and on the 9th day he broke out in hives and his face/lips/fingers/feet swelled terribly. He had to be on steroids and benedry for days. It took 2 weeks for the hives to go away. I googled it and was surprised to find out how common it was.

I'd say it's the Doxy. It's common to have a reaction after the drugs are completed. They stay in your system for quite a while, and can build up during the dosing. Benadryl is a great idea, but you may want to call your doc - if for no other reason than to have doxy listed as something you're allergic to Whoops! Just saw the OP's response..... NM :)