Menu

World Ed games start today!

DD has her gatoraid, stuffed hydra mascot, headset for her computer, cheering section of stuffed friends, and her reference placemat of "flags of the World" ready. I did insist that she eat breakfast first. Anyone else have excited kids this morning?

Go Hydras! Use ALL your heads!!!

Day 1 finished-not high enough to make the high score table, but she did well-more words correct than last year, even though she moved up from being at the top of an age range to the bottom of the next one, so the words got harder, and nearly 100% accuracy (she missed a total of 2-one because she misheard it, the other she just plain missed-it was "tomorrow"-which she has had no trouble with in other contexts, but it came right after "deciduous", which I think threw her because she wasn't sure on it.)

If this is like last year, spelling will be her lowest overall score, so she's pretty happy-she's not a fast typist.

my teen is back at it, after martial arts and lunch. spelling has always been his strength. my younger one, tho - we just started LoE from teh beginning, because spelling is NOT his thing. he quickly gave up. he says he'll participate in the other two, tho.

Depends on the age level-At age 4-7, I think spelling starts at about level 3, and you go a couple of levels in before the DC actually has to type anything. At age 8-10, which DD did this year, levels 1-2 are basic, easy spelling (I'm guessing 1st-3rd grade level), level 3 is content area vocabulary/spelling, and 4-5 are harder spelling words (4th-6th). Typing was definitely the limiting factor here.

I thought this was going to start tomorrow and then received the email that it started today (since it's already March 5 in some parts of the world). Does this mean that the competitions for literacy and math will happen tomorrow? And then math and science the following day and then one more day of science?

Yes-each event has a 48 hour window so that everyone gets the same amount of time. I suspect it also helps to accommodate schools that have one computer lab for all their classes because it gives more time to get the kids rotated through.

Good, since we were root canal-ing and at dance class for most of the day!

DS has been hard at it. He can't type fast enough to equal the really high scorers... 3000+!!! But he met his personal goals and came ever so close to 2000 answers. We had a number of weird glitches, but it all seems to have worked out in the end.

Good luck to everyone competing! We signed up but gave up because of computer issues and the fact we are on our last days in US. The sunshine is a bigger draw! One laptop and two dc's Was just too hard.

Math today :001_smile:

DD's up and ready to start. Again, I'm not expecting her to hit the top scores, simply because of keyboarding speed, although she's improved a LOT at mental math/facts memorization since last year, largely because I think she was embarrassed about how slow she was compared to many of the other competitors last year. But she's still excited-this was the competition that really got her started on competing, so I think she's looking forward to a rematch.

I really want a hydra smiley....

Math is done-I think that she'd be a lot faster if she didn't reword every single problem involving regrouping orally first (76+9=70+15=85) but I guess that's what Singapore taught her. Anyway, she's very accurate-just not super fast. She's pretty happy, though.

Is it too late to compete? I've had a migraine during the last 5 days and wasn't up for teaching DD what to do on the site.

Oh dmmetler, just saw your comment about keyboarding speed - I guess we shouldn't bother because DD doesn't know how to type and it would take too long looking for letters. Maybe the numbers would be fine if she uses the number pad on the side of the keyboard. And, I don't think we are even in the right category.

Literacy will be available for the rest of today, Math today and tomorrow, Science tomorrow and The day after, so no, it's not too late. Some of the high scorers....honestly, I don't know HOW they can enter answers so fast. It's still been a good experience, though.

The typing speed of some of those kids is unreal. I'm sure the top scorer for her age group in literacy would beat me by 1,000 points.

it's incredible, eh! I'm looking at those scores and trying to imagine my fingers moving that fast... not happening! Caned by a 7 year old :rofl:

The girls are loving it so far!! My girls are both in the 4-7 and not typists, but they are having a great time. Even my phonics-hating K'er got "Speed Demon" on the first two levels of literacy, and flew through the first level of math. AND she was happy getting 2nd and 3rd when normally she is upset if she doesn't win. She was really focused. The Sponge doesn't type and has focusing issues (part of the ADHD) but she completed all the of the literacy levels and ended up with Almost Einstein, and is happy to have gold medallions to look at.

Oh, the ADHD is KILLING The Sponge in science. I feel so bad for her. Science is her obssession and her gift, but the lack of focus, slow reading, and slow processing speed in a 1.5 minute game is like her own personal &*%$. She spends ages just picking each square to click on, I ended up reading the questions aloud so she would have any chance of answering them, and if it's a fill-in-the-blank her processing/retrieval speed means she eats up a third of the time just thinking about it usually. Her little sister who doesn't even "like" science has twice her average. And this is on her medication (makes her functional but you can still see the signs, esp in timed or pressure situations). Off of it I can't even imagine how it would go. :(

This might be a better choice for her next year. That timed element, and, especially, the direct competition in science can make it hard. DD hasn't done the science (she's doing math and language this year), but so far, the length and difficulty of the tests have been set up to allow a lot of processing time and accommodate slow writing speed. (And I'd imagine IEP modifications, like scribing, would be OK, too). One thing I really love about CML-they're super-friendly to homeschoolers or kids who want to do it on their own.

http://www.continentalmathematicsleague.com/nsl.html

Regardless, give her a big hug and go out for ice cream or something. We made cupcakes for "school" today :).

Both of my "older" kids had lots of fun. Some frustration for the 6yo, but I think they both learned a lot. DD9 made it onto the science hall of fame, though not as high as she was hoping. I thought it was amazing that she made it at all considering we haven't really "done" science. We'll definitely do it again! :)

This might be a better choice for her next year. That timed element, and, especially, the direct competition in science can make it hard. DD hasn't done the science (she's doing math and language this year), but so far, the length and difficulty of the tests have been set up to allow a lot of processing time and accommodate slow writing speed. (And I'd imagine IEP modifications, like scribing, would be OK, too). One thing I really love about CML-they're super-friendly to homeschoolers or kids who want to do it on their own.

http://www.continent...ue.com/nsl.html

Regardless, give her a big hug and go out for ice cream or something. We made cupcakes for "school" today :).

Thanks!! That looks much more appropriate for her.

It's over-she managed to stay on the high score table ;). Not the top 10, but she's pretty happy, especially since she moved up an age level this year.

She does want to know-did the kids in the Southern Hemisphere get a bunch of Northern Hemisphere questions? It seemed like almost every game had a SH specific category-which led to a lot of "Uh, well, that looks like a good answer..." Thank you, National Geographic (and I think her obsession with herpetology came in handy...what's the deal with Cane toads?).

It's over-she managed to stay on the high score table ;). Not the top 10, but she's pretty happy, especially since she moved up an age level this year.

She does want to know-did the kids in the Southern Hemisphere get a bunch of Northern Hemisphere questions? It seemed like almost every game had a SH specific category-which led to a lot of "Uh, well, that looks like a good answer..." Thank you, National Geographic (and I think her obsession with herpetology came in handy...what's the deal with Cane toads?).

Not sure, but as a USA player I had to explain a "torch" was a flashlight, lol.