Menu

I need chapter books with pigs

Dick King-Smith is your guy. He's usually pretty well-found at libraries, and I've always seen him at used bookstores.

We had a pig lover here, too, and he wrote several funny chapter books.

A few that come to mind: Pigs Might Fly, All Pigs Are Beautiful, Daggie Dogfoot, the Sheep Pig, .. and, of course, Babe.

There are a few more but the names escape me. There are a few featuring a pig named Lollipop.

Pigs from A to Z (Geisert)

Freddy series (Brooks)

Suddenly!: A Preston Pig Story (McNaughton)

Amanda Pig series (Leeuwen)

Olivia series (Falconer)

Perfect the Pig (Jeschke)

The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig (Trivizas)

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs (Scieszka)

The Three Little Javelinas (Lowell)

The Three Ninja Pigs (Schwartz)

Richard Scarry Busytown books (the firemen are pigs)

Pig and Crow (Chorao)

Toot and Puddle (Hobbie)

Pigs Will Be Pigs series by Axelrod -- fun with math, money, time, cooking, etc.

Charlotte's Web (White) -- read aloud

We've already done charlotte's web numerous times. Most of the other books listed are picture books we've also read many times. I haven't done the piggens book. I think the library had one about nanny piggens

Well, how about books with a pig, but who is a minor character or in just a chapter or so:

- Lester, in Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (MacDonald)

- Little Pig Robinson, from Beatrix Potter stories

- Gub-Gub, in Dr. Doo-Little (Lofting)

- the pig brothers, in Fern Valley (Stewart)

- Piglet, in Winnie the Pooh (Milne)

Or, two others with pig protagonists:

- Poppleton series (Rylant)

- Ace, the Very Important Pig (King-Smith)

We've already done charlotte's web numerous times. Most of the other books listed are picture books we've also read many times. I haven't done the piggens book. I think the library had one about nanny piggens

Lori D suggested the Oliver and Amanda pig series. These are longish readers, and there are tons of them. My library has 19, I think. They are very cute. Her other suggestion, the Freddy books, is composed of longer chapter books. My library has almost 20 of them. So, she actually suggested nearly 40 chapter books from these two alone. :)

Poppleton is a pig, too. There are quite a few in that series. Dick King-Smith has quite a few pig books as well. You'd be surprised. "The Petsitters Club" has one volume (#5) in which they watch a pig.

Beatrix Potter has Pigling Bland, Stolz has Quentin Corn, and Van Nutt has the Lucky Hart series.

Dick King-Smith is your guy. He's usually pretty well-found at libraries, and I've always seen him at used bookstores.

We had a pig lover here, too, and he wrote several funny chapter books.

A few that come to mind: Pigs Might Fly, All Pigs Are Beautiful, Daggie Dogfoot, the Sheep Pig, .. and, of course, Babe.

There are a few more but the names escape me. There are a few featuring a pig named Lollipop.

:iagree:

Freddy the Pig series, another vote. Hilarious books (when my mother was a girl, she used to read in her treehouse, and one day, when reading a freddy book, she laughed so hard she fell out of the tree and broke her arm.)

These are funny. The first time one of these were read, my dh read it to the boys. The door to the bedroom was shut and you would hear mumbling and then peals of laughter, I was finally called in to read because dh was laughing so hard.

Dd loves the vocabulary. She makes me reread paragraphs just to hear the words again.

Lori D suggested the Oliver and Amanda pig series. These are longish readers, and there are tons of them. My library has 19, I think. They are very cute. Her other suggestion, the Freddy books, is composed of longer chapter books. My library has almost 20 of them. So, she actually suggested nearly 40 chapter books from these two alone. :)

Poppleton is a pig, too. There are quite a few in that series. Dick King-Smith has quite a few pig books as well. You'd be surprised. "The Petsitters Club" has one volume (#5) in which they watch a pig.

Beatrix Potter has Pigling Bland, Stolz has Quentin Corn, and Van Nutt has the Lucky Hart series.

I didn't want to come across as snarky toward LoriD I'm sorry if I did. It's just that I've been at this for about 4 years now, so we've exhausted what our library carries of those series. These aren't books for him to read, these are the books I use as read alouds for him. Again sorry if I seemed ungrateful or snarky.

maybe he needs to start dictating his own pig stories to you? There is a very famous writer, whose name escapes me, who said she became a writer because she couldn't find a book she wanted to read.

I am not being glib. I have done this a number of times with my own kids. When they have run out of books on their favorite topic we start on them making their own. Aliki has a great book for kids about how a book is made. They do the illustrations and everything.

I didn't want to come across as snarky toward LoriD I'm sorry if I did. It's just that I've been at this for about 4 years now, so we've exhausted what our library carries of those series.

You may have exhausted all pig stories, then.

Beatrix Potter also has Little Pig Robinson. Arnold Lobel also has a book of pig limericks called Pigericks.

How about Peter Porker, Spectacular Spider-Ham? Or Bob Burke's Third Pig Detective Agency series?