Menu

S/O of the Pink Poll - Pronunciations

I grew up in Oklahoma, but have lived in OH, TX, and CA. I love how words change their sounds when going to different places. Most of my examples are from OK.

Pink = Paynk

School = Skoo-al

Window = Winda

Pen = Pin

Pinking Sheers = Peenking Shers

Drawer = Dror

Italian = Eye-talian

Sometimes words mean different things too...

Coke = all carbonated beverages (What kind of Coke do you have? We have regular, diet, root beer, etc.)

Sack = bag (I put my groceries in a sack.)

When I lived in Dayton OH people would say "please" instead of "excuse me" or "huh?" if they didn't understand you and needed something repeated.

Add yours, please :)

I grew up near Boston.

"Haughty" and "hottie" sound the same to me, as do "caught" and "cot"

"Aunt" rhymes with gaunt, haunt, flaunt, etc. rather than can't or pant.

"Dawn" and "don" sound the same

"Aaron" has a short a sound like apple, while "Erin" has a short e sound like egg. Neither have the vowel sound of air.

"Marry" has a short a sound, "merry" has a short e sound, and "Mary" has the air sound.

"Horrible" has an ar sound in the first syllable rather than or

"Drawing" has an extra r sound in the middle so that it rhymes with sparring.

I have a pronounced glottal stop in words like button, kitten, mountain, etc. so that it sounds like but-n, kit-n mount-n, etc.

I don't usually drop my r's unless I'm wicked tired :tongue_smilie:

I grew up near Boston.

<snip>

... unless I'm wicked tired :tongue_smilie:

When I saw you were from that area, I wondered if you said things like "wicked tired." :laugh:

I was going to say something about that region using "hot top" vs. "black top", but we've moved around so much I'm starting to forget who says what. And I used to know the correct terms for ordering milkshake-type things in that area, but I've forgotten those, too.

Now we're in the land of saying warsh for wash, and the infamous pronunciation of 40 as farty. We also pray to the Lard, and eat with farks. Some of us drink melk instead of milk.

I was going to say something about that region using "hot top" vs. "black top", but we've moved around so much I'm starting to forget who says what. And I used to know the correct terms for ordering milkshake-type things in that area, but I've forgotten those, too.

Never heard of "hot top" so that must be somewhere else. Frappes are what most folks call "milkshakes". "Tonics" are what folks elsewhere call "soda" or "pop" or "soft drink".

When we were near Pittsburgh, everything sounded funny.

In Tennessee, I didn't mind "fixin' to," but "fi'in' to" sounded so odd.

I'm originally from Upstate New York, although I'm not sure how much of that accent is left. The one thing that I still say is the ending -tary, like elementary or complementary. I say it as el-uh-men-tair-ee, which my husband insists is wrong.

I grew up near Boston.

"Haughty" and "hottie" sound the same to me, as do "caught" and "cot" same

"Aunt" rhymes with gaunt, haunt, flaunt, etc. rather than can't or pant. mine sounds like ant

"Dawn" and "don" sound the same same

"Aaron" has a short a sound like apple, while "Erin" has a short e sound like egg. Neither have the vowel sound of air. both are like air to me

"Marry" has a short a sound, "merry" has a short e sound, and "Mary" has the air sound. both of these have the air sound for me

"Horrible" has an ar sound in the first syllable rather than or or sound

"Drawing" has an extra r sound in the middle so that it rhymes with sparring. no extra r

I have a pronounced glottal stop in words like button, kitten, mountain, etc. so that it sounds like but-n, kit-n mount-n, etc. I skip the middle sounds in words like button and kitten so it becomes mi'in, bu'in, ki'in, moun'in

I don't usually drop my r's unless I'm wicked tired :tongue_smilie:

So there you go pronounciations from an Albertan

"Aaron" has a short a sound like apple, while "Erin" has a short e sound like egg. Neither have the vowel sound of air.

I have a friend whose boys are Aaron and Eric. She is originally from the northeast, and gets distressed that no one down here (in Florida) says their names with the proper vowel sounds, including her husband. I am from the midwest and they both have the air sound to me.

Some of us drink melk instead of milk.

My mom drinks melk. No wonder I still have trouble with pen and pin. I do drink milk, though!

Regional pronunciations here (which I try not to use):

leg = laig

tired = tard or tah-erd

quite and quiet = quah-t

pen and pin are sometimes the same, and sometimes pronounced pay-en

Aaron and Erin are pronounced the same = air-in

Marry, merry, and Mary are also all the same = mairy

I live in a town where misfits from all over the World land, so we get a little of everything in terms of pronounciation and terminology and even languages. The thing I find amusing is the way we describe location here. For example I can say we camp at the East Fork of the North Fork of the Big Wood and 99% of people know instantly where that is. Everyone is very attuned topography.

I've lived too many places to have weird pronunciations. Every time we go to a new place things sound weird to us for a while. People say I have an accent but nobody can actually place it. Because of all the moving I've done in my lifetime I pick up accents easily. If I watch too much BBC America I start thinking in British English.

I did not know people from Boston peeps got wicked cold like we do up here.