Menu

What can we eat? (Food allergies)

Spryte

We have to eliminate another food. :(

Please give me some ideas on what to eat? Every new ingredient that we lose throws me into a tailspin.

Our list of no-nos:

Peanuts (even trace amounts)

Tree nuts (trace amounts)

Sesame (trace amounts)

Lentils

Most raw fruits and veggies due to OAS

Spinach

Wheat

Eggs

Dairy

Dairy is the newest.

I am struggling with breakfast for the kiddo, and snack food. Lunch and dinner are covered. But... Treats? Healthy snack ideas? Breakfast? I am stumped.

Allergies stink.

Sorry to hear about having to eliminate yet another food. BTDT, thought I would starve. :( But I learned what we were able to eat and eventually ds outgrew enough of the allergies to allow us to eat more variety again. It's hard though -- big hugs to you.

Something I really enjoy is miso soup. You can make the regular soy-based type, but there is also a brand of miso made with chickpeas (and another variety with red beans) that is soy-free. It is very easy to make (add hot water) and satisfies that umami taste sense that is hard to fulfil when you have allergies.

Rice pudding made with coconut milk is good for breakfast (or dessert).

You can make your own sushi by rolling nori (seaweed) sheets around rice and whatever veggies you are allowed. If we have leftover fish I put that in sushi rolls too.

Quinoa salad is great for lunches and snacks and very flexible with ingredients.

dairy means you just lost cheese, right? there are no cheese alternatives worth eating straight, and even in sandwiches, you want to wait a few months until you forget what cheese tastes like. daiya and vegan gourmet are the best

can you do sunbutter? its sunflowers, but if you can do sesame . . hmm

we actually do a lot of cereal for breakfast - but i'm not nut free so most of my sources might not work for you. enjoy life's products are all dairy and nut free, check those out.

i make home made turkey breakfast sausage and serve with home made gluten free sandwich bread. mm, my main recipe for bread uses eggs. do you have a bread recipe?

allegies definitely stink. my youngest lives off of rice cakes and gluten free pretzels.

hummus and celery/carrots?

:grouphug:

Allergies do stink.

We're nut, sesame, dairy free.

Enjoy Life products were mentioned - they're free of the top 8 allergens. I'll even eat their chocolate happily.

Ds enjoys Daiya "cheese". I don't like it at all, but it's a good topping for him.

If you're not aware of FAAN, it'll have some useful resources (food allergy and anaphylaxis network).

For breakfast try buckwheat (this is not related to wheat at all), rice, millet, oatmeal, and amaranth all as hot cereal. All of them are yummy and you can use soy, rice, or hemp milk. Can he do goat products?

All of the above listed can be found in flour form for pancakes, waffles, breads, etc.

Can he have beans? Hummus is a great snack food around here. You can get gf pretzels, potato chips, and any veggie he can have to dip into hummus.

You'll get the hang of it. Good luck.

We have allergy testing tomorrow.

I'm sorry. It's difficult, but it does get easier once you've figured out a basic go-to menu for your child. :grouphug: DS is free of 9 different foods, as well as various food additives (no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, MSG, or HFCS). But at least he can eat all fruits and veggies, so his diet is not as restrictive as your child's diet.

Breakfast:

- Are Kinnikinnick breads available in your area? We buy their Sunflower Flax Rice Bread at our local health food store and it's quite good. It's free of all your restricted foods (no wheat, dairy, eggs, or nuts).

- Bacon or canadian bacon

- Certified gluten-free oatmeal (some people who are allergic to wheat/gluten can't tolerate this, but some can)

- Breakfast burrito with a corn tortilla, black beans, and whatever cooked veggies your child can tolerate (again, some people who are allergic to gluten react similarly to corn, but some can tolerate it)

Snacks:

- Seeds processed in a dedicated gluten-free/tree nut-free facility (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.)

- Sliced chicken breast (maybe in some type of roll-up with corn tortillas if tolerated)

- Sunbutter and honey sandwich on the bread listed above (my DS loves these - Sunbutter is awesome)

Bacon/sausage/ham/steak and potatoes, fried, and served in a corn tortilla with roasted veggie salsa (or no salsa). Baked apples (or other fruit). Cranberry sauce with orange.

Can he eat coconut? Coconut milk yogurt. Coconut milk ice cream.Pudding with corn starch, sugar and coconut milk. Check out Bruce Fife's coconut cookbook. Pancakes. Muffins. You'll have to find an egg substitute though. Check vegan sites for that. There are gluten free vegan bread (and other things) recipes. Its worth doing some research.

Chocolate avocado popsicles (although I haven't tried this with cooked avocado...the avocado isn't noticable and it makes a nice treat).

Chocolate candies with coconut oil and chocolate. Sticky rice sweets.

I'll think some more and see what I can come up with. I wish you well on this journey.

Oatmeal? Rice? Rice noodles or steamed rice is good for breakfast. A friend used to make the most delicious fried rice patties that we ate with applesauce....

Think of breakfast as First Lunch. Corn tortillas ok? They make a nice wrap for sliced meat for a grab and go breakfast. I think soup for breakfast would be nice - that miso soup sounds good. Pho isn't too hard to make either.

Or cook enough for dinner that you have leftovers for breakfast. We do that often here.

We have dairy now and it does make a huge difference but my tree nut and sesame ana, peanut avoiding son likes some things that would be safe for yours:

Teff--I make crackers with teff as I coudn't find any sesame safe crackers, oatmeal, sunbutter, Berlin Natural Bakery Spelt products (not gluten free but wheat free and free of all your other allergens), quinoa, canadian bacon, Enjoy Life cereals...all of those as well as less standard things like baked chicken and rice can be breakfast here. You may find it easier to think outside the traditional breakfast box. He often eats meal type stuff for snacks too.

I'm feeling your pain, Spryte. My youngest was diagnosed with 21 food allergies yesterday. On top of some that we already knew he had. I had a pity party for myself this morning (just had to get it out of my system). Then, my best friend and I sat down and wrote out all of the things he CAN it. That was more helpful. Then, we went food shopping based on this list, getting different versions when we could. (Ex.- dried pineapple, fresh, frozen.)

My son loves the SoDelicious yogurt. It actually tastes like yogurt. He likes their ice cream, too. We've tried a buckwheat hot cereal, as well as Bob's Red Mill oat bran (something different than just oatmeal. And they are both good.EnviroKids Goriila Munch cereal has just 3 ingredients- Organic Corn Meal, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Sea Salt. That's a favorite of his. He can eat corn, but not beef or sunflower seeds, go figure. Nature's Path has some ood options as well. YumEarth organics has some pretty good treats.

I hope this helps some. I know this is so hard, but I can see that you are doing everything you can for him. You rock!

Rice milk with cereal.

Oat flour pancakes, teff flour pancakes.

Rice cereal, oat cereal.

I gave up on breakfast food and just ate lunch/dinner type food for breakfast.

I stopped losing as many foods when I went to a strict rotation diet. You eat the same food all day long, then a few different foods all day long the next day, etc. If you google food allergy rotation diet you will get ideas.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Taking notes and making a shopping list as I read... These are great ideas.

I had not even considered some of the ideas listed - bacon, etc - because I am on a very low fat, sugar free diet - so those things fell off my radar, but I can make them for the kiddos. That might help kick us off on this new adventure because it will feel like a treat. And I love getting more ideas re: brands... It always helps! ...You can bet I'll be making a ton of the foods listed here.

There are just so many good ideas, thank you!

What is Teff flour? And is it possible to buy it without cross contamination from nuts and seeds?

ElizabethB, I'd love to hear more about your rotation diet. Kiddo's doc (not his allergist, but a different doc) has mentioned that he should do that, that it would help prevent losing more foods. I will google it and see if we can make that happen for him. I am *so* tired of him losing foods!!! And he is, too.

We don't have allergies but we are on a gluten free and casein free diet for other reasons. I've been surfing blogs trying to figure out what to do. One blog I stumbled across fed her son leftovers for breakfast. She'd make enough dinner so that he could eat enough for breakfast too. This was good for several reasons: high protein, warm, filling, quick to prepare. So it worked. Yesterday I ate leftover gluten free chinese take out for breakfast. Delicious!

So maybe if you reorient your thinking, things won't seem so limiting.

That's my less than two cents worth of advice. Hang in there!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Taking notes and making a shopping list as I read... These are great ideas.

I had not even considered some of the ideas listed - bacon, etc - because I am on a very low fat, sugar free diet - so those things fell off my radar, but I can make them for the kiddos. That might help kick us off on this new adventure because it will feel like a treat. And I love getting more ideas re: brands... It always helps! ...You can bet I'll be making a ton of the foods listed here.

There are just so many good ideas, thank you!

What is Teff flour? And is it possible to buy it without cross contamination from nuts and seeds?

ElizabethB, I'd love to hear more about your rotation diet. Kiddo's doc (not his allergist, but a different doc) has mentioned that he should do that, that it would help prevent losing more foods. I will google it and see if we can make that happen for him. I am *so* tired of him losing foods!!! And he is, too.

I can't believe bacon fell off your radar! :svengo:

Our son was just put on a rotation diet by his allergist. They firmly believe in it. Anything that registers high is totally stayed away from. The milder ones are added to his 4 day rotation. He is so allergic (they said he is an 'allergic child') they are scared that he will develope more, if his diet is too restricted. Rotating everything safe keeps his body from reacting too much.

Try the book- Is This My Child?http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Child-Doris-Rapp/dp/0688119077/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361372144&sr=1-1&keywords=is+this+my+child

She talks about rotation diets extensively. Our allergist actually interned with her back in the day.

We have food allergies here that limit what we can eat, so I tell the kids they have to think outside the box and not be limited to what they think are "breakfast" foods. There are lots of grains other than wheat that you can make a hot cereal from like oats, bulgar, quinoa, barley, etc...with a splash of non-dairy (or nut) milk and some dried or cooked fruit it will work. There are also lots more choices for dairy/wheat free prepared foods than there were years ago, I am pretty sure the Trader Joes gluten free waffles and pancakes do not have dairy. Van's also makes lots of gluten free breakfast items like waffles, pancakes, english muffins, cereals and snack bars.

My son eats soy nut butter and loves it, he did not care for the sunflower nut butter. I buy it from the I.M. Healthy company in 3lb tubs for $30 + free shipping. Way cheaper than $5-6 a jar in the store.

There are also many choices for gluten free mixes (cakes, pancakes, cookies, bars) in stores or online. Bob's Red Mill and King Arthur Flour both sell gluten free products online and both have recipes on their websites.

I would also suggest going to the library and looking for cookbooks for people with allergies. I know they are out there because I had a few of them after my son was born with milk, wheat and nut allergies. We were lucky that he outgrew the milk and wheat allergy, but he is still allergic to most nuts.

I hope this helps!

Bob's Red Mill products are not safe for those with a tree nut allergy. King Arthur Flour is, as is Authentic Foods. At the Authentic Foods site, you can do a search for their products based on your allergies. I don't know if they have teff flour or not but they would be more likely than King Arthur. I really like their flours, but of course, not cheap and shipping is expensive.

Bob's Red Mill products are not safe for those with a tree nut allergy. King Arthur Flour is, as is Authentic Foods. At the Authentic Foods site, you can do a search for their products based on your allergies. I don't know if they have teff flour or not but they would be more likely than King Arthur. I really like their flours, but of course, not cheap and shipping is expensive.

Thanks! I knew about Bob's, and we love KA Flour... but I'd not heard of Authentic Foods, and now I'm super excited about heading to their website. Yay!

I learned to use my spices. And rice. Here is an easy-peasy quick meal: make rice in the rice cooker. Have it available all the time. Put some Earthbalance, tomato paste and frozen peas, and a little chicken or vegetable broth in a bowl and and some (cooked) rice. Stick in the microwave long enough to warm up the cold ingredients and stir. Yum! I made this as an emergency meal for a group of people who came over for a beer and ended up staying for hours, and we needed to eat. They NEVER would have put that combination together...but every last one of them has told me that they have made this simple meal again and again.

This sounds wonderful.

What is Earthbalance?

I didn't know Bob's Red Mill wasn't safe for those with serious nut allergies. My son's allergy is not a life-threatening one, and we have been able to use their products without incident. We don't have to worry about facilities that manufacture products with nuts. We are actually lucky that he is not allergic to almonds, pine nuts or brazil nuts and can eat those without a problem. Kind of weird, but I'll take it.

Sorry for the misinformation!

Teff flour:

http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Teff-Flour-lb/dp/B00018CWNE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361389150&sr=8-4&keywords=teff+flour

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-24-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000EDM6BO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361389178&sr=8-2&keywords=teff+flour

It is gluten free. It makes a nice, sweet pancake. It also makes decent cookies. I use spectrum organic shortening with it. I will post my rotation diet later to give you ideas.

We have most of those allergies too. We use a lot of beans and rice and Mexican dishes. Also veggie soups with various beans and rice noodles and ham or chicken. We do quinoa with chicken and some roasted or grilled veggies often too.

Watch out for hummus (I notice some posters are suggesting it). That contains sesame often.

Oh, I just saw you are looking for breakfast. We use a gluten-free, egg-free frozen waffle found in the organic section. Also, rice granola bars and sausages. Oatmeal as long as it is gluten-free is a good choice too. My boys eat rice chex, corn chex, and kix too, but I'm not sure how gluten-free they are considering cross contamination (not sure if this is an issue for you).

For snacks, rice cakes with pizza sauce, pepperonis and olives make a nice treat. I also make my own granola out of oats, brown sugar, and coconut oil. You can make homemade chex mixes with cereals they can eat and a honey mustard coating too.

Here is my current rotation diet:

Day 1. Venison, avocado, teff flour, spectrum organic shortening, salt

Day 2. Quail, potatoes, squash, melons, olive oil, salt

Day 3. Pork, taro root, olive oil, lettuce, mango, pepper, salt

Day 4. Pizza! Wheat flour, yeast, tomato paste, sheep milk cheese, italian spices (basil, oregano, rosemary, etc.) It is important to use simple spices, anything with the name "spices" in it is usually MSG, which most people with allergy problems will react to. Spice mixes are generally bad, although italian spice mixes are often MSG free.

Day 5. Chicken, rice, rice flour, 100% rice breading, spectrum organic shortening, bananas, german sweet mustard (contains less ingredients than american mustard, tastes quite good.)

I have been tested positive to things that most people are not allergic to. We move a lot, and 2 of my allergy doctors, each with 20+ years of experience, have said that I am the most allergic patient they have ever seen.

I order my game meets from D'artagnan. I used to also be able to eat buffalo and duck and pigeon, but have become allergic to those, along with many conventional foods. Since having the food on a rotation plan, I have been able to add back a few foods that I previously reacted to after avoiding them for 6 to 12 months. (For example, I have added back pork, venison, and quail.) Taro root can be obtained from Asian grocery stores. You cannot it it raw. If you put enough olive oil on it, it almost tastes like a potato.

With the rotation, you need to make sure that you know what food family your food is from and not have food from that same family for 4 days. Squash and melons are related, that is why they are in the same day. Also, you cannot have elk one day, chicken the next, then venison; venison and elk are so closely related that you need at least 4 days between them. Also closely related are duck/goose, quail/pheasant, etc. I currently have only 2 oils I tolerate well so I just rotate them as best as I can.

I have also had to stop using toothpaste, I am allergic to many ingredients in toothpaste, even natural ones. I brush for 3 minutes with water. My friends and family members who were in the peace corps all assured me that you don't really need toothpaste. That was worse than losing food for me at first, I missed my toothpaste. I am resigned to it now, though.

I cook my food very simply. For example, with my teff flour I make a "pancake" by frying it in the oil, and the pancake is just the flour and water. If I add too many ingredients, it is usually bad and it is also hard to isolate which one is causing you trouble.

I can also have enjoy life chocolate chips! They are milk and soy free, very yummy. I used to try to make cookies with them, it only worked 25% of the time, now I just eat them plain. If anyone thinks that that is weird, I start listing what I can't eat and they stop giving me a hard time.

A good snack is also rice milk with Crispy Brown Rice Cereal. I also sometimes freeze bananas and them make a smoothie with rice milk and a bit of vanilla (I can tolerate real vanilla in moderation every 2 - 4 weeks.) If you use very ripe organic bananas, it tastes almost as sweet as a milkshake. (Organic bananas taste much sweeter to me than regular bananas.) This is why I put my rice and bananas on the same day.

If you decide to move something to another day, skip it and then move it. For example, if I wanted to move melons to my rice day, I would skip melons on day 5. So, you would have gone an extra few days without melons to move your melons to a new day. If you do the reverse and have it again 2 or 3 days later, you risk becoming allergic to the item.)

I can also have enjoy life chocolate chips! They are milk and soy free, very yummy. I used to try to make cookies with them, it only worked 25% of the time, now I just eat them plain. If anyone thinks that that is weird, I start listing what I can't eat and they stop giving me a hard time.

I understand eating their chips alone :)

They also have chocolate bars: dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and ones with rice krispies.

Don't know if there's anything in Namaste brownie mix that's a no go for you, but their brownies are really good (and the mix is really expensive.... sigh).

Don't know if there's anything in Namaste brownie mix that's a no go for you, but their brownies are really good (and the mix is really expensive.... sigh).

I am unfortunately allergic to both tapioca flour and arrowroot flour, but they do look yummy and the ingredient list is shorter than most!