Menu

When do you plan to do Geometry?

Thinking ahead for DD's HS years, I wondered when everyone is planning to do geometry - if you plan to do it as a separate course? I've heard mixed suggestions on when to place it. If we end up doing more prealgebra in 8th, I'm debating whether to try it in 9th before tackling Algebra 1 and 2. Anyone want to share their plans? I know this is a HS question but I figured it impacts our choice for 8th so maybe others are also thinking about it?

We are using Singapore Discovering Math, which integrates geometry with pre-algebra and algebra. I have not yet decided whether to require my DD to complete a proof-based geometry course in addition to DM. AOPS might be an option since it gets into areas of geometry not typically covered in a traditional course.

ETA: I would probably do it after finishing the geometry section of DM 3.

Most high school geometry courses have algebra I as a prerequisite, so before Algebra I probably won't work.

I like it between Algebra I and Algebra II. It gives the student one year to mature before digging back into algebra. If you have a student who struggles with algebra, that year is essential.

Most geometry programs have algebra I review sprinkled throughout.

Algebra II programs all start with a review of Algebra I. Many Precalculus books dive right in, so that a student who hasn't had algebra in a full year can get lost pretty easily.

Also, NO geometry program includes review of Algebra II, only Algebra I.

You can choose to go with something like Saxon (shudder) that mixes everything in, but that program is such a hodge-podge that I don't know how anybody can learn from it. Obviously it works for some people (and works really really well for some people), but I would have failed math with Saxon despite being a very mathy person.

I don't think doing it before algebra 1 would be a very good idea -- geometry usually applies and reviews algebra 1.

If you're planning on going with one publisher through high school, I would follow the intended sequence of that publisher -- i.e. if you were going to do VideoText, I'd use their sequence of alg 1/alg 2/geom. If you were going to go with Chalkdust, I'd do alg 1/geom/alg 2.

I would find an algebra 1 course that you like first of all.

I was planning on my dd doing geometry next year in 10th since I saw that it was recommended before they take the ACT in 11th. (She is doing Algebra I this year). We are using TT and I would really like to purchase Geometry 2.0 when it becomes available (there is no release date yet) so if it is not released before August then I will probably have her go ahead and do Algebra 2. My SIL says she doesn't need to take the ACT until spring of her 11th year so hopefully she will have covered enough Geometry by that point.

I went to a college prep junior high and highschool. I was going to keep the same pattern of math with my kids as I had. Although that was before I started teaching kids with such massive delays. I am still sticking to this pattern though the grades they start have changed for my girls. My son will follow the whole thing though.

7th grade pre-algebra

8th grade algebra

9th grade geometry

10th grade algebra 2

From there we went to pre-calc (which I'm thinking my son will do) or Trig/analytical geometry for 11th grade

In 12th grade it was either calculus or probability and statistics.

I want my older girls to try to complete Algebra 2 and my oldest son I think can go all the way through calculus. He is a very gifted math student.

I think my older girls will only have time to complete Algebra 2 before they graduate.

After completing Alg 1, our kids do Geom. and Alg 2 together. One week they do Geom on MWF and Alg 2 on T/Th. The next week they switch.

This was my dh's idea, he did not want them having such a long stretch between Alg 1 and Alg 2.

This makes sense. I just wonder if it would overwhelm my older kids who struggle with math.

Dh wants the boys to do Alg 1/Alg 2 altogether over the course of two school years, so the plan is 8th grade Alg 1 and 9th grade Alg 2 and then 10th grade Geometry. I'm not sure what we'll use, but it may be the same text dh uses at work and will include proofs and constructions (something dh and I both believe strongly in for a complete Geometry course). From there we aren't sure yet, but probably something along the lines of trig/linear algebra/pre calculus before hitting 12th grade calculus.

Thanks! All of this makes a lot of sense. I think we'll wait until she has a solid understanding of Algebra 1 - so for us, either 9th or 10th. As a side note, this really helps clarify for me why I had such a horrible experience with proof-based geometry as an algebra-challenged 8th grader!!!!

Since we're using LOF as our primary math, I think we'll follow the author's recommendation on the order of books, with one exception, the Physics book. So it'll look like this:

7th grade: Fractions, Decimals & Percents, start Pre-Algebra w/Biology (maybe he'll finish it)

8th grade: Finish up the pre-algebra books, go through Physics

9th grade: Algebra 1

10th grade: Advanced Algebra

11th grade: Geometry

12th grade: Trigonometry

If he moves more quickly through the books, I'll add in Calculus. We'll see!

9th grade: Algebra 1

10th grade: Advanced Algebra

11th grade: Geometry

12th grade: Trigonometry

Just one comment: for a student with a chance to qualify for National Merit scholarship, this would not be a wise sequence, because the PSAT must be taken in October of 11th grade and contains geometry. Any student scheduling geometry for 11th grade would not stand a chance.

Same for students who might want to have several tries taking the ACT/SAT and want to begin in Junior year.

Just one comment: for a student with a chance to qualify for National Merit scholarship, this would not be a wise sequence, because the PSAT must be taken in October of 11th grade and contains geometry. Any student scheduling geometry for 11th grade would not stand a chance.

Same for students who might want to have several tries taking the ACT/SAT and want to begin in Junior year.

Good to know. I'm hoping/thinking he'll move a little more quickly through the books, and finish both Algebra books and Geometry by the end of 10th.

Excellent point, though he will probably be okay-- the algebra books contain quite a bit of geometry already, and they will also very likely take less than a year each, allowing geometry to be started a bit ahead of that projected schedule, as long as the student is not struggling. If memory serves, there are 108 lessons in the Algebra I book, if the pace set in the Home Companion book is followed, with each lesson able to be completed in a day. Even allowing for time to go back and review any lessons that need to be looked at twice from time to time, this course will probably be finished in well under a year. The Algebra II course is a bit longer and heavier duty, though I don't have all the details on that one, and DS12 is just finishing Algebra I in the next couple of weeks while I preview alg II.