Menu

Character education

KrissiK

you might want to check this out. I haven't used it yet, but am planning on starting it this week. It looks fun and it's FREE!!

Kids of Integrity is what I use when we are experiencing a character crisis here. It's one of the best free resources I've seen. We don't do it all, but I choose the bits and pieces that would be most helpful. If we are experiencing a huge problem, then we make it a goal to pray about it every 1-2 hours throughout the day. It takes some effort, but I've seen complete turn-arounds in my kids after 2-3 weeks of consistent prayer along with some object lessons, discussions, etc.

We really really like We Choose Virtues. We mostly use the parent cards and are going through them once a week, and after a complete cycle we will highlight one a month

We use this as well, but I focus on one character trait a month since there are 12 of them.

I wrote a blog review about it here.

We are doing Character First. It is a classical approach because the kids memorize one character trait per month with a definition, an opposite word (obedience vs. rebellion), and 5 "I Will" statements which show the kids what carrying out that trait actually looks like. They tie each one into an animal and they sell little cards very cheaply with the memory work on it so they can collect them as they go along. There are 4 series if you want to do 9 months of the year (like a typical school year) or we do them year round for a 3 year cycle. They also sell a DVD set for each series that teaches the memory work, a song, and a nature story to go with it. They have a CD you can buy with the memory work songs for all 36 traits and they have cute posters too. They also sell teacher guides but you really don't need them. Even the cards alone are very useful but if you can spring for the DVD and/or CD I recommend that. They also have mini-posters with one person in history to go with each trait and nature study ones with information about the animal. Again, you can use or not use whatever you want to with this. There is no Scripture to it but it was based on a Christian character program originally. I have a book that is almost identical in the definitions and "I Will" Statements and it puts the verses and other famous quotes with it. If you are interested I can give you a link to that book......

We are doing Character First. It is a classical approach because the kids memorize one character trait per month with a definition, an opposite word (obedience vs. rebellion), and 5 "I Will" statements which show the kids what carrying out that trait actually looks like. They tie each one into an animal and they sell little cards very cheaply with the memory work on it so they can collect them as they go along. There are 4 series if you want to do 9 months of the year (like a typical school year) or we do them year round for a 3 year cycle. They also sell a DVD set for each series that teaches the memory work, a song, and a nature story to go with it. They have a CD you can buy with the memory work songs for all 36 traits and they have cute posters too. They also sell teacher guides but you really don't need them. Even the cards alone are very useful but if you can spring for the DVD and/or CD I recommend that. They also have mini-posters with one person in history to go with each trait and nature study ones with information about the animal. Again, you can use or not use whatever you want to with this. There is no Scripture to it but it was based on a Christian character program originally. I have a book that is almost identical in the definitions and "I Will" Statements and it puts the verses and other famous quotes with it. If you are interested I can give you a link to that book......

Yes, please, could you link to the book? :)

A few things we've used/are using:

Scripture Memorization

Our 24 Family Ways

http://www.christianbook.com/apps/product?item_no=920888&event=ESRCG|M

Pearables

http://www.pearables.com/

Bob Schultz Boyhood Series - currently using with DS10 and DS11 - excellent!

http://www.christianbook.com/apps/easyfind?Ntt=Bob+Schultz&Ne=0&N=0&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCG%7CM

I suggest looking at changing the complete parenting paradigm and really delving into Grace if your family is Christian. http://www.amazon.com/Families-Where-Grace-Place-Manipulation/dp/0764207938

KONOS is my favorite curriculum to really boost family togetherness and focus in character traits. I have accomplishes a lot in a relatively relaxed manner with KONOS. You could take a year off from my current path and give it a go. You don't need to do a ton of activities. We end up reading and discussing a lot. Making a character trait poster or bulletin board near a main living area is a nice reminder for the entire family.

I suggest looking at changing the complete parenting paradigm and really delving into Grace if your family is Christian. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0764207938

Well said. I haven't read this particular book, but changing the paradigm is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post. Character education so easily becomes moralism unless it's saturated with grace and the gospel. :001_smile:

My kids all enjoyed Brite Music's curriculum. It's song/story based--and seemed to really resonate with them. It's been a year or two and they still remember a lot of the songs/lessons. (Note to self: Time to revisit :))

You can buy just one unit to start...or get the whole bunch. We started with Obedience/Land of Obey. There's a little chart you can get as well.

http://www.britemusic.com/standin-tall-set-downloadable

Note: The company was founded by LDS/Mormon folks, but as a non-Mormon, I never found anything that I took issue with. The curriculum was secular as far as I could tell. (Or one could say that having good values goes beyond religious affiliation. :))