Menu

young elem - what subjects on the computer?

MeganW

I'm trying to justify to my husband buying the kids a cheap laptop of their own for schoolwork. What subjects/programs does your 1st or 2nd grader do on the computer on a regular basis?

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Math U See

Dinosaur Chess

What else could it be used for?

We probably will NOT have internet access on this computer as we will be taking it with us to therapy appts and such.

Hello!

At that stage in the game, the only thing my ds really used computer for was learning to type and edu-games like Reader Rabbit and JumpStart. We also used Rosetta Stone. There are other things you could use it for, but they require internet access.

You might hold off using the computer for too much in the lower grades. It's been our experience that the older they get, the more is done on the computer (schooling, gaming with friends, research, writing, tech projects....). Once they get started it can be challenging to get them off!

None. My kid that is currently that age doesn't do well with screen time (behavior wise). My older kid does typing instruction, but that's it. I have purposely avoided computer based lessons for this age.

When they're middle school or high school, I could see them using a laptop a lot more.

First off, I think having multiples changes the outlook on computer-based learning. More on this in a minute.

My kids have been using educational (and fun) iPad apps for a while, but I just set up computers for them a couple of weeks ago -- we did try once before with some preschool stuff, but they were too young to do much without lots of help.

Anyway, Reading Eggs has been WONDERFUL, though it is an online program. It has especially helped my son, who struggles the most with reading. It gives him the repetition he needs in a way that is fun & interesting. I think he also likes the privacy, so he can make mistakes without his sisters (who are both stronger readers) seeing it.

We're not using them currently, but I also like the "Blaster" programs (Math & Reading), and the Jumpstart ones. I don't think they require an internet connection.

Now on to the multiples issue. The computers let me park two out of my three Kindergarteners in front of something educational while I do one-on-one work with the third. This has been a constant struggle for us -- individual learning time with Mom being constantly interrupted by a sibling either acting up or needing help, and with multiples there's no older sib who can work more independently or take charge of helping with a younger child.

I will be following this thread as well, I am looking for more things my little ones can use too!

I use a usb dongle for internet. You plug it in to a usb port and it uses the mobile phone network. I use a prepaid plan that costs me $4 (@us$3.30) for 200 Mb. If you don't want them to access the internet you just unplug it and if you don't have the spare cash you just go without a few weeks. You are generally ahead with technology so you should have some similar system available.

Now on to the multiples issue. The computers let me park two out of my three Kindergarteners in front of something educational while I do one-on-one work with the third. This has been a constant struggle for us -- individual learning time with Mom being constantly interrupted by a sibling either acting up or needing help, and with multiples there's no older sib who can work more independently or take charge of helping with a younger child.

This is exactly the challenge. I am supposed to be with the tutor / therapist, and my other kids are supposed to be doing independent schoolwork, but they are finishing and are bored and start picking at each other, and EVERY DAY I end up back and forth, back and forth. I exercise them to death before going. I can't really add any more writing/coloring type stuff as they already complain of hand fatigue. Their reading isn't to the point that they are just dying to stick noses in books for hours. I have tried bringing games for them to play together, and that's even worse. I thought if I added a computer lesson or two to each kid's daily assignments that they would be occupied a little longer!

We've done a lot of audio stories on our computer. I believe most of what we've used can be downloaded so if you had access to the internet somewhere you could download a lot for free and listen later (Kiddie Records Weekly, StoryNory, libravox, if Christian is ok HIskids.net or Adventures in Odyssey). We use audio books from the library too and audios from Lamplighter publishing. Of course with a laptop you could do DVD's.

A lot that we've done is online dependent. I really like Dreambox math but you'd need internet to do that.

Hmm. I don't have twins or triplets! But fwiw, I don't let mine use the computer at all. Or watch TV. Or play video games. Not yet--when they're older, . I have my laptop that we use to look stuff up on Wikipedia and such when a question comes up, but they aren't permitted to use it themselves. BUT I don't have a situation like yours at all. I think I'd want something if I couldn't be interrupted. It might even come to a handheld like a Gameboy or DS.

I started out completely against any screen time, especially the computer and iPad. I still work hard to limit it. But my oldest is 6 and my twins are 4 and at a kindergarten level so I did turn to some educational things on the computer to carve out 1-on-1 time with each child.

Rosetta Stone has been best so far. They are all picking something up, and the oldest is retaining most of it. We also do the addition/subtraction version of Timez Attacks by Big Brainz. I turn the video arcade sound off and the twins use an abacus with it. I haven't offered this yet, but I do have videos on my laptop too. They like science documentaries.

The trick is to stay on top of limiting access. It can quickly become addictive for the kids and a crutch for the parents. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I use a usb dongle for internet. You plug it in to a usb port and it uses the mobile phone network. I use a prepaid plan that costs me $4 (@us$3.30) for 200 Mb. If you don't want them to access the internet you just unplug it and if you don't have the spare cash you just go without a few weeks. You are generally ahead with technology so you should have some similar system available.

Can you give me more info on this? I have tried to buy it, but can't figure out exactly how to!! :)