Menu

ADD moms?

I'll try to find the link. I picked the weight, size, color, everything. :) Not LED, but one of these days!!! I have a bum hip right now, so I have been resorting to just reading my stretches while I read or watch tv. I always exercise while watching a separate show, too. Breaking Bad is not a good show to go with Shavasana. Just sayin.

Wow, that is amazing! I never knew there were options like that.  Now I'm going to go on a hyperfocus spree and come out the other side in a few days being the biggest hoop expert ever. Everyone, warn my husband now that I am NOT allowed to propose a business plan that will support our family involving hula hoops.

• Like 3

I have an extremely early morning tomorrow, but when I get home in the afternoon... I am SO coming back to this thread!!!!    

ALL purse-forgetting, pile-making, hyper-focusing, grocery-shopping despising, forgetting why we came in the room, forgetting the name of the child we are talking to, wondering if we already took our pill today or not ,sticky-note-stock-holding ADHDers UNITE!!

• Like 10

The internet is definitely where the H in my ADHD comes in. I almost never type the H when I'm describing myself because it does make people picture something I'm not. The H amost always happens in my brain. Multiple tabs, flipping back and forth, listening to one thing while looking at another...

And, off line, my brain is almost always still in H mode, but it isn't satisfied as easily. I can't read a book while brushing my teeth as easily as I can read a forum while eating my breakfast, catching up on Netflix, checking my bank balance for a transaction to clear, and printing worksheets. THAT'S satisfying, and therefore relaxing.

• Like 5

Wow, that is amazing! I never knew there were options like that.  Now I'm going to go on a hyperfocus spree and come out the other side in a few days being the biggest hoop expert ever. Everyone, warn my husband now that I am NOT allowed to propose a business plan that will support our family involving hula hoops.

Sweet!  We'll need videos!  You gotta teach the less coordinated of us how to do it right!!!

I got my 4 oldest kids hoops, too.  They chose theirs on there.  They have hooping contests.  Try having 4 kids hooping in a 12'x12' room.  With furniture. Yeah.  They managed it, somehow. 

• Like 1

I also love the internet, but it is not good for me. My brain likes it because I am tailor made to divide my attention. But being online never gives me a sense of peace, just a sense of comfort not unlike that of an addict being satisfied by a fix. I read The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains a while back and realized that the negative effects were doubly (triply, quadruply, infinitesimally?) more severe in my particular brain. At least in my case, the internet takes a predisposition and exponentially magnifies it.

Personally, I find that the more time I spend away from the internet (and electronics on the whole, except for DVD musicals, LOL), the more peaceful and content I feel. When I do need to get something done online, I absolutely rock it. :lol: But I am a happier person when online stuff not on my mind (and dividing it in 1000 different directions).

The biggest thing that has helped me is putting most of my life on auto-pilot. The smallest thing that has helped me is Post-Its. :lol: I carry an assortment of sizes wherever I go, but those long, lined, list-making Post-Its are particularly awesome. Whenever I have a thought unrelated to what I'm in the middle of, it goes on a Post-It so I can get it out of my head and don't need to interrupt what I'm doing.

• Like 3

I've started using my post-its more at work. I have a steno pad of notes, but I've discovered it is sooooooooooo much easier to grab a post-it (I use the pop up kind), jot down my note, and stick it to my monitor. Once the task is complete it gets recycled.

Guest blessed with two

Maybe I'm confused on what exactly ADD is because everything you all describe is me, yet I don't have ADD. I've never even suspected that I do. I have to own the book if it's to be used, otherwise, it will never get from the library to my house because I will forget about it--even if I reserve it. I can't use PDFs unless I print the entire thing right when I get it, and then bind the darn thing. I tried the printing-off-as-we-go thing last year, and it was a disaster. If I don't start school during breakfast, that's it--school doesn't happen. I need open-and-go curricula, or it doesn't get done. If I get up to do something, I forget about what I was/need to be doing. 

Again, I don't have ADD. It has never been a worry of mine that I do. I'm just not great at multi-tasking.

I think I need to go read up on ADD. I know I don't need medication to function. I did well in school as a kid and I have a job that requires my utmost attention, and I do well at it too.

The above problems don't seem like an ADD issue to me.  Guess I have some reading to do.

Edited to add: I'm at a total loss. According to the things I'm reading about adult ADD, I have all the symptoms. But what does this mean? I mean, I function fairly normal. So I'm always late everywhere I go, and I forget about projects with work, or think I can finish them in a certain amount of time, but can't. I forget to go grocery shopping a lot. Seriously. I plan to go all the time, and then the end of the day arrives and I decide to "do it tomorrow", which never happens.

I guess I now need to figure out what this means for me and how I can use knowing this to make my life better.

Ugh. I'm not a label person. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it without going around and announcing it to everyone in my life.

WOW!  I read this and thought....did I just write this!  haha!

I completely understand!

• 4 months later...

raising my hand for suspected ADD but not diagnosed. I am 13 years into homeschooling and I finally have faced the fact that I can't use programs with lots of books. I work best with a "spine" such as Story of the World- that I can use daily by just picking it up...after that, I can add on extra books if we have time, but I have to limit myself to one week limit for rabbit trails, or it will never end. I love lots of books, but I think they need to be the icing if we have time, I just don't get through the main material otherwise.

I also do better with a list of things to do that I cross off as they are done, I can't use a schedule. Also, look at your homeschool day as your "job" and don't try to mulit-task with switching out laundry or dinner prep- I would do those things and then get distracted and forget to get back to what we were doing. My kids knew this and would quietly scatter to different parts of the house when I got up to go do something...stinkers!

This post sounds so much like me. I also cannot multi-task. When I cook dinner I have to cook one thing at a time, lol! This Christmas season, I finally figured out how to NOT burn bacon...I use the oven instead! LIGHTBULB moment!! :)

You say you can't do a schedule but use a list of things to do and cross off...could you elaborate on that? Thanks! :)

I have an extremely early morning tomorrow, but when I get home in the afternoon... I am SO coming back to this thread!!!!    

ALL purse-forgetting, pile-making, hyper-focusing, grocery-shopping despising, forgetting why we came in the room, forgetting the name of the child we are talking to, wondering if we already took our pill today or not ,sticky-note-stock-holding ADHDers UNITE!!

WOW! LOVE this!!! So true...  :)

• 9 months later...

I never posted on the original thread and I've never been officially diagnosed but after going through diagnosis with my daughter I realized that I most likely have adhd also. It's nice to see there are other moms who are able to home-school while dealing with it. This summer I actually planned out my lessons for the year. It was a lot of work but it's really helped me to know where we are at and where we should be. I still haven't been able to keep up with my house and homeschooling though. I've tried list, fly lady, daily schedules. Nothing seems to help. For me I have found if I take omega 3 and eat a gluten free, dye free, artificial sugar free diet I feel much better. I've thought about getting medication but I would rather deal without the meds. I am going to try essential oils also and see if it helps. I'm starting to think my oldest daughter has it along with my younger daughter. I was hoping just one would get it. 

I'm using the new Wayfarers program this year, and doing my best to actually follow it and only modify it a little.  It's nice because it's so complete, and I can just highlight what I want my kids to do each day and leave out the rest to make room for their language studies.  We actually finished a whole 10 weeks!!! That's pretty fabulous for us, especially given that I'm truly homeschooling 2 this year and have a toddler underfoot as well.

We're on November break now, as one dd does NaNoWriMo and the other has Nutcracker rehearsals.  It's a nice break for me too, so I can do some of the stuff that I really, really want to do but have been putting off.

:)

Anabel

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm using two different sources for my game plan this year: 

http://www.therightsideofnormal.com/

http://www.amazon.com/The-Self-Propelled-Advantage-Independent-Excellence/dp/1614482969

History: I'm overshooting this year... I'm making up my own history this year, probably more properly called "historical cultures".  I'm crazy, but don't ya just love making up new things?  Both of my school aged kids are doing this with me.  We're doing middle ages, and went to an SCA gathering this weekend.  Everyone had a great time.

English: Dd7 is using ELTL2, Dd12 isn't doing grammar this year.  She writes fantasy fiction, and dh will teach her formal academic writing later in the year.  They also have readings, some from AO and others from Wayfarers.

Math: Mammoth Math 2 for Dd7, Jacobs Algebra for Dd12

Science: Quark Anatomy as our spine, extra readings, and kid-driven science experiments through the year.  Truthfully I'm herding them into doing the experiments, but they are doing the bulk of the choosing and work. :)

Japanese: class at the Buddhist temple, plus I've put together some worksheets for Dd12 to help her learn Kanji (she was having trouble last year, thank you dyslexia)

French: Duolingo & free reading in French.  I'm still trying to find a tutor

PE: regular walks, juggling

It's all good fun. 

:)

Anabel

• Like 1

Wait, we have to choose?

My poor dd12 has a whole shelf full of prealgebra books because mom couldn't choose between them. We kinda go back and forth to keep things interesting.

IKR?!  I have so much unfinished curriculum that I'm not buying anything new this year & doing some of that unfinished stuff.  LOL.

• Like 1

I did a research project in college about adults with undiagnosed ADD. I felt like I was researching myself. I had never considered I might be diagnosed as such until then.

I am highly organized , but it is because I am not. I haveearned how to be as a coping mechanism. It takes so, so much energy to keep myself and my family organized. I described it to my husband as " thinking through cobwebs".

In terms of school, my mental disorganization effects everything. I also have to treat school like a job. I have to have lesson plans written out for the year for each child or I get all confused and we do nothing. I need very simple materials. ( I would cry if someone made me use TOG!)

These are some things I use that fit well for us:

Rod and Staff Science ( we are Christian, but not YEC, so I edit a bit)

Rod and Staff English

Rod and Staff Spelling

Study Time Arithmetic and MEP

CLE reading

Sonlight and Ambleside as book lists

• Like 1