Menu

Therapy pets, recess, no-homework nights to lower ‘epidemic’ student stress

treestarfae

In the US High School students get a lunch break. Recess ends with elementary school.

And today I read this article about the ridiculous standards placed on Kindergardeners. No wonder they need therapy by the time they are in high school.

I think I fixed the link.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/playtime_over_kindergartners_ItkfEkiosY3UOa8KpXwj8K

In the US High School students get a lunch break. Recess ends with elementary school.

And today I read this article about the ridiculous standards placed on Kindergardeners http://www.nypost.co...Y3UOa8KpXwj8K�� No wonder they need therapy by the time they are in high school.

Can you repost the link? This one doesn't work.

Generally 9-3, with two 15-20 min recesses and 45 mins for lunch.

Wow, two recesses in high school? My kids' high school goes from 7:35-1:55 - with one 20 minute break for lunch (barely enough time to get to the cafeteria, get the food and wolf it down), and 4 minutes between classes. No other breaks.

My dd who's in middle school this year gets about 5 minutes to go outside after lunch, no other break.

Yeah, and in years 11 and 12, kids have a few spare periods a week. At my school, we had to stay on campus if they were in the middle of the day, since those periods are for study. Theoretically, anyway. ;) If they were in the morning, you could come in late, if they were at the end of the day, we could go home early. Kids were still stressed in year 12, more stressed than they should have had to be, but there was no need for therapy dogs! Therapy dogs are no substitute for lunch times long enough to digest and go to the bathroom!

I had to get up at 6.30 to get to school by 9. There was no way I could have got there by 7!

At my school, we have kindy through high school on one campus. Everyone starts at 8:20. Grades k- 4 finish at 3:05 and they get a 45 minute lunch/recess and a 15 minute afternoon recess. Grades 5-12 end at 3:45 and get a 45 minute lunch/recess. Grades 9-12 often have a study hall during the day which they can take anywhere on campus.

Once a semester we have a no homework/ no activities weekend. All sports and other extra curriculars are canceled. We also do not allow any school events including sports on Sundays.

I didn't go to the closest high school. We get a bit of choice here. The 9am start is because nobody would agree to start earlier. :p We don't bus primary school kids, which makes a big difference. Why do you bus elementary school students anyway? Are they huge schools or something?

*Correction: I've just remembered my friend's primary aged kids bus to school, but they live in a very rural area. It's not done in the suburbs or city.

Generally 9-3, with two 15-20 min recesses and 45 mins for lunch.

No fair *sulk* I grew up just north of AU and high school was 7:15am - 1pm for gr 9 & 10 with one 20min recess no lunch, than 7:30am - 4:30pm for gr 11 & 12 with one 20 min recess and 1hr for lunch. There is no school bus, public transport is very efficient.

Here the school bus drops off the high school kids first than fetch the elementary school kids.

The high school I taught at ten years was in Charlotte, NC. At that time Charlotte still bussed students, supposedly to keep the schools racially diversified. Because some came from the far side of town, I had kids waiting on buses at 5:45 in the morning. They were dropped off at the high school at 7am for a 7:20 start time. It was ridiculous.

No fair *sulk* I grew up just north of AU and high school was 7:15am - 1pm for gr 9 & 10 with one 20min recess no lunch, than 7:30am - 4:30pm for gr 11 & 12 with one 20 min recess and 1hr for lunch. There is no school bus, public transport is very efficient.

I suppose an earlier starting time makes sense in the tropics. Better to get the work done before it is too hot to think. Down here, no one would consider it acceptable for kids to be leaving for school while it was still dark.

The high school I taught at ten years was in Charlotte, NC. At that time Charlotte still bussed students, supposedly to keep the schools racially diversified. Because some came from the far side of town, I had kids waiting on buses at 5:45 in the morning. They were dropped off at the high school at 7am for a 7:20 start time. It was ridiculous.

My ds does not ride the bus because they wanted to pick him up at 6:30AM to deliver him to school 10 miles away at 7:45. Instead, I drive 40 miles each day to drop him off and pick him up.

High school here starts at 7:20. Dd feels she must be in the building by 7 to sort out her day ahead. She walks and leaves the house at 6:30 am. She has 20 min for lunch. There are no other breaks in the day. She has block scheduling with 4 periods a day. With 7 classes, one period everyother day is rotated between the classes. The academics are pretty intense too. There really is no break. For that reason, I was very careful in helping her select her elective this year.