Menu

Would you quit piano to do Classical Conversations?

Update in Post #18; my dh loved the idea of CC; didn't even bring up piano. :)

I've been thinking about CC all day! I originally was dying over the price of the classes. But, then I realized that if you were to break it down by month, we pay more per month for piano than if you were to break down the CC cost over a year. My dh is the one who really wants the kids to do piano. The kids "like" it; definitely don't dislike it. No plans for professional pianists, lol. We don't have a piano, we have a cheap keyboard and I told dh if he wants to continue down that road, we're going to have to invest in something more pretty soon. My son is on his third year in piano and has really outgrown the keyboard. Our teacher, bless her heart, has allowed us to use the keyboard only. The things we like about piano are the discipline and the kids having another teacher, albeit 30 min./wk. :) I *think* they would get the discipline and for sure the additional teacher by being in CC.

Thoughts?

No.

But then, I've never been interested in CC. Piano benefits also include learning music, getting both sides of the brain to work together, and developing a potential life-long stress-relieving activity (so I'm told, lol). Piano is excellent brain training, it's mathematical, music is a language, etc. etc.

Eta, you might google "benefits of piano" and do some reading for encouragement :)

No.

But then, I've never been interested in CC. Piano benefits also include learning music, getting both sides of the brain to work together, and developing a potential life-long stress-relieving activity (so I'm told, lol). Piano is excellent brain training, it's mathematical, music is a language, etc. etc.

GOOD points...

:bigear:

No, I've tried CC, and though I liked meeting the parents and talking to the kids, I wouldn't choose it over piano/music theory. DD has been playing since young but not seriously until a little more than a year go. I don't know whether some kids have higher musicianship or whether every child has that potential, but I've observed a side to her that was not being fulfilled by other subjects, such as math or Latin. I like the idea of CC, but studying music opens up another world. I just added music theory to our morning routine, and rather than just viewing music as an art form, it's become a systematic study, much like math, which appeals to both of us.

Never. It wouldn't even register as an option in my world. Piano builds the mind and it creates an ability to express oneself. It can be a stress reliever as well. I don't play piano professionally and I hated practicing as a kid but I am so thankful for it now. I can name numerous people that I know that are thankful now, as adults, that they were made to take music lessons.

Maybe. I really like CC, and it's a big part of our homeschool. It's a big part of our long term academic plans and I see many benefits for our family even though it's not the core.

If they've had 3 years of piano, could they try CC for 9 months (one school year) with plans to continue practice on their own? I'm sorry you have to choose and can't swing both. Some moms I know have done fundraising for their CC fees. Any chance that might work? Or tutoring (that's what they call teaching) at CC?

ETA: Could your piano teacher do something slightly less frequent? Or could they split their lesson time so it's 45 minutes instead of an hour (30 + 30)? I've done things like that for students. It usually works well with the age of the kids in your siggy. The K'er would get 20 minutes, the 2nd grader 25= 45 minutes. Cheaper for you, and since you said CC is slightly less than piano, could that make it a possibility to do both?

Maybe. I really like CC, and it's a big part of our homeschool. It's a big part of our long term academic plans and I see many benefits for our family even though it's not the core.

If they've had 3 years of piano, could they try CC for 9 months (one school year) with plans to continue practice on their own? I'm sorry you have to choose and can't swing both. Some moms I know have done fundraising for their CC fees. Any chance that might work? Or tutoring (that's what they call teaching) at CC?

I've had a few people suggest tutoring, I would really need to get a grasp on what I would be doing, though. And it would really have to offset the fees, because part of the appeal to me is that I wouldn't have to be teaching; I've done my fair share of co-op classes the last two years....

It pays dependent on # of kids in your class. I have mom friends with 2 or 3 enrolled kids and it seems to pay all their fees.

Tutoring requires you to go to a practicum (mini-conference) and get training. You lead the class through their memory work. The parents are also there, and you are called a "tutor" because your job is as much to give the parents techniques and ideas as it is to "teach" the material.

I believe you have a tutor meeting every 6 weeks or so to prepare, and you also have your own prep time for the week.

Even if you aren't teaching at CC, you're still required to be there and to help your child with the lessons (and behavior, if need be) the whole time. It's really meant to be a supplemental support community.

Have you had a chance to go to an informational meeting or open house yet? You could also email one of the contacts on the CC website in your area to ask about more details there.

Yes, I am aware that I would need to be there and help out. No problem there. I have sent out a few emails with some of my specific questions and I have dates marked on my calendar to attend some information meetings and open houses...we will see!

I'd probably stick with piano, which will translate into any other instrument your children decide to learn as they get older. You *could* teach the CC material at home.

I'm one who is glad today that I was *forced* to learn piano growing up. My grandmother was my teacher (she was a concert pianist and taught students in her home, plus taught up to the college level), and I never enjoyed practicing but managed to muddle my way through. Once I got into high school and started playing really challenging pieces, my whole attitude changed. I eventually gave it up because school took precedence and I was taking dual enrollment & AP classes in high school, but today I can sit down and sightread anything I want to play. It would take a lot of practice to become really GOOD, but I'm glad I stuck with it as long as I did.

Well, great news - dh loved the idea of CC and agreed to it; I didn't even have to mention dropping piano. Now the hurdle is to get into the classes - apparently they are full...

I see you don't have to make the trade (yay), but just to add 2 more cents you don't need :) No way. I have a dd who did 2 years of CC, and is on her 3rd year of piano. I feel the long term benefits of piano are much too great to give up for something like CC. Also, I agree that the ages of your kids make it even less of a good trade. My dd did CC as a 1st and 3rd grader; 1st was too young in my opinion, and 3rd was about right to start CC.

We love CC but I don't know that I would give up my kids music lessons to do it. It would be a hard decision. You can do foundations at home with the book without being part of a group. Essentials has been great for my kids though and I am excited about challenge for my oldest next year but if mine were the ages of yours I would choose the music lessons. Once they are essentials age, ~4th grade, then I think it becomes more valuable because of essentials. I think learning writing in a community can be very helpful.

Well, great news - dh loved the idea of CC and agreed to it; I didn't even have to mention dropping piano. Now the hurdle is to get into the classes - apparently they are full...

AWESOME! Love when things work out that way.

We drive about 20 minutes to a CC community because it was the only one with openings. There are others closer to our home, and within 45 minutes (my personal driving limit to prevent insanity) there are no less than 8 cc communities. Not sure if you have already considered these kinds of options...

Also, we got in off the waitlist our first year and it's time now for registration so if you're interested, get your name in with the director ASAP.

Hope you get in and it's a hit for your family, too.

I direct my CC program and if your groups are already full the director should be keeping a waiting list. Based on my seven years of CC experience, I think you'll be able to get into a group by fall. It's still early and there are people who will go ahead and register their kids even if they are not totally sure they will be back next year. I've only had to turn away families who wait until early August to be put on the waiting list. Everyone who is on the waiting list at this time of the year has gotten in. CC also keeps track of people on the waiting list and will try to open a new community if there is enough interest.

I direct my CC program and if your groups are already full the director should be keeping a waiting list. Based on my seven years of CC experience, I think you'll be able to get into a group by fall. It's still early and there are people who will go ahead and register their kids even if they are not totally sure they will be back next year. I've only had to turn away families who wait until early August to be put on the waiting list. Everyone who is on the waiting list at this time of the year has gotten in. CC also keeps track of people on the waiting list and will try to open a new community if there is enough interest.

We only have one community in our area because we have been unable to find a facilities with enough space to host it. We could really use 2-3 more communities in our area. I agree that sometimes space opens up. Our community was full this time last year but ended up with open endings in August.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a Foundations Director for CC and have been with the program for 6 years. Being a part of CC is a vital part of homeschooling for us. I would definitely give it a try. If you become a tutor that might offset some of the costs. My dd is a voice/piano major in college right now so I am definitely pro music as well. I would say that I would focus on buying a real piano if you plan to continue with the music lessons. A keyboard can only take you so far.