Menu

The House is empty...

PrincessMommy

It's been an emotional 2 days. My 11 yr old went to sleep crying last night. It was so hard.

My 23 yr old son was accepted into the grad. program at PennState with a nice little stipend (yay Homeschooling!!). It's his 2nd choice and we haven't heard back from any of the other colleges yet. But, as we were all celebrating with him about this happy news my youngest (11yr son) had one of those "Wait a minute..." moments and he burst into tears when he realized that it meant his brother will be moving farther away in the fall. I didn't even think about trying to break it to him gently and I feel so bad. We were all happy for older ds. It made college boys leaving today that much harder for our youngest.

dd(21) is away visiting friends in NJ and leaves for college next weekend. Hubby is taking ds (20) off to college. DD (17) is taking youngest to a friends house, and I'm here by myself being reminded again that my days as a mom to a houseful of growing kids is coming to a close.

Dd has just applied for a summer internship that would take her away for all but 10 days this summer. I saw this coming, and tried my darndest to get our HS group to pick an earlier May date for ds' graduation, but it was kind of a losing battle saying "there's a possibility my dd will have an internship 14 hours away, so let's pick a date based on that." His graduation will be the first weekend of that internship, so for her to miss that first weekend would really stink. I'm just hosed no matter what.

There isn't a good alternative for her, given the field she's interested in.

The idea of her being gone all summer again is really rough, since we had such a wonderful Cmas break, but I was trying to enjoy it knowing it might be the last extended time she was home.

Ds is pretty circumspect, since he's close enough in age to see it through her eyes more than from mine.

I understand. Dd was at a retreat last weekend, and her brother left to go back to college (her other bro is in NC), so it was just hubby and me. (Well, parents were here, but we had a taste of empty nest, anyway...)

It's kinda hard for the last kiddo home. I know my dd is growing up with a different family construct than my boys did--she will be almost an "only" when they always had sibs around. Hugs to your 11yo. His upset at least speaks to how close he is with his sibs, and that's a good thing.

It's true, that our days as moms of growing children are coming to an end... but that's as it should be. This is our last year our youngest will be home!

On the other hand, we often have an unexpected mix at our house. This past semester was going to be the first time our youngest would be the only one home...her best friend (next sister up) had just graduated from high school and was going across the ocean for the year. Suddenly, middle sister decided to take a semester off of school, and so did oldest sister plus husband. We suddenly had a household of 6 for four months instead of the expected 3. :) Of course it was wonderful!