Menu

I Thought Shampoo Made Things Better!

Chelli

Two days ago we gave our dog a bath. Now she has such a HORRIBLE dog smell that we can't even have her in the house! Shouldn't giving her a bath make her smell better not worse?!?

So give me your favorite dog shampoos or some trick to make the smell stop. :svengo:

What brand shampoo did you use? And did you rinse very, very well? Did she smell bad before the bath? If so, check her mouth, ears and anal glands. Those are all primary sources of odor. Also consider the food being fed. Cheap food often equals unpleasant body odor. Even a good quality food that just isn't a good fit for a particular dog can cause/contribute to odor. Also, is it possible she's rolling in something repugnant while outside?

We like oatmeal baths for doggies. I agree the anal glands can be super nasty and need to be squeezed to empty them. check her skin to make sure she's not having an allergic reaction, especially if it was a new soap
What the what?

LOL.

We do not *do* anal gland squeezing. Our vet does that at our dog's 1x/yr visit and hasn't told us the need to do it on our own.

So we don't.

We never did the anal gland thing and I don't think the vet did either.

But the second shampoo definitely. I would do the lather, rinse, repeat at least twice, ending with something with a smell I liked. The nicer smelling, good-for-his sensitive skin, non-allergenic shampoos did nothing with the oils and grease on his skin.

When it was too late to matter, we discovered he was allergic to something in his (expensive) dogfood.

We like oatmeal baths for doggies. I agree the anal glands can be super nasty and need to be squeezed to empty them. check her skin to make sure she's not having an allergic reaction, especially if it was a new soap

:eek: :ack2: :svengo: I love our dog, but I'm not touching her anal glands.

A 2nd bath. Really. :p Sometimes DH & I say that the first bath just knocks the stink loose. The 2nd bath is what gets the doggy smelling clean. :) ETA: we use baby shampoo on our dog...

Thanks! We'll try a second bath.

Is the dog all the way dry? If it's long haired at all, it may just still be damp. We like oatmeal bath, too.

She's a boxer, so no long hair here!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

The "squeezing the anal glands" thing is what the dogs do for themselves when they scoot their tushes across the ground. I have a big dog that does this - my little one who goes to a groomer, doesn't do it very often because the groomer does it for her.

I find that I need to double or triple wash to really get my girl clean. I have a bunch of different doggy shampoos and they all basically seem the same to me. The ones that are meant to be deep cleaning (usually citrus scented) work a little better, I guess. The anal gland thing is somewhat controversial. Some believe groomers should do it, some believe vets should, some believe no one ever should. I've never heard of anyone being advised to do it at home.

The anal gland thing is somewhat controversial. Some believe groomers should do it, some believe vets should, some believe no one ever should. I've never heard of anyone being advised to do it at home.

The controversy is that anal glands should not routinely be expressed. They're either overly full and thus need expressing or they're not. If they're not full they shouldn't be messed with. Unfortunately, a lot of old-school groomers do it routinely. It's quite easy to do at home, although it's very stinky and potentially very messy. And you do need some vet instruction before attempting it yourself. A vet can show you how to do it and, more importantly, how to tell if it actually needs to be done. Many vets have no qualms about showing long-time, trusted clients how to do things like that at home.

It's quite easy to do at home, although it's very stinky and potentially very messy. And you do need some vet instruction before attempting it yourself. A vet can show you how to do it and, more importantly, how to tell if it actually needs to be done. Many vets have no qualms about showing long-time, trusted clients how to do things like that at home.

I will bake my own bread, wash Ziplock bags, and use cloth napkins, but I would pay through the nose to have someone else do this! No way. :scared:

Our little dogs always needed them done regularly, like between vet visits. Our doxie when I was a kid we took her in for a "nurse" visit to the vet. Our beagle when we first got married needed them done regularly too otherwise he did the butt scoot thing and stunk. I made dh do it