Menu

Tell Me Why Latin Would Benefit My Daughter

PachiSusan

We have gone around and around with this issue and I still can't come to a definitive decision. I know that Latin is helpful for bases of words, of medical terminology, and reading the classics in the original language. It's also helpful as we are Catholic.

However, she really really wants to learn Italian.

I would like her to learn another language and Italian is her heritage. It's a romance language so it will help if she wants to then learn Spanish.

I just don't feel as gung ho about Latin as I did before. Am I missing something big? I see that a lot of you ladies teach it and you may be the perfect audience to ask. :)

like a woman I once knew, she may enjoy quoting virgil's aeneid in the original:

e.g.

Audentes fortuna iuvat

• Fortune favours the brave.

Book X, line 284;

or even (her favorite)

Varium et mutabile semper
femina.

• A woman is an ever fickle and changeable thing.

Book IV, line 569

just kidding of course.

another time i needed it was as an undergrad at Harvard when, at a demonstration protesting the abandonment of engraved diplomas in latin, the leaders of the movement came out on widener library stairs and read a long proclamation in Latin. Some of the football fight songs were also in latin.

and when i helped my older son learn vocabulary words for his SAT's, I used their Latin roots to help him remember what they meant. but that seems like cheating.

more importantly, in my high school annual, someone wrote "roses are red, buttercups are yella, what's a puer without a puella?" so the everyday uses are just endless.

Do both. My kids are learning Latin (older with Lone Pine, younger with Lively Latin) and Spanish (older with Easy Spanish Step by Step and younger with Salsa) and it;s going fine. It actually HELPS as they recognize words from one language (Latin) in another (spanish). My husband speaks Italian and wants them to learn, and they will when he finds the time!

I'm using Latin as the base for my kids to learn any (or all) of the romance languages (whichever, and if they choose) as well as helping with English vocabulary, etc. Because I am not a native (or even fluent) speaker of French, Italian, Spanish etc. I feel more comfortable learning and teaching a "dead" language - pronunciation is less of a concern.

We have gone around and around with this issue and I still can't come to a definitive decision. I know that Latin is helpful for bases of words, of medical terminology, and reading the classics in the original language. It's also helpful as we are Catholic.

However, she really really wants to learn Italian.

I would like her to learn another language and Italian is her heritage. It's a romance language so it will help if she wants to then learn Spanish.

I just don't feel as gung ho about Latin as I did before. Am I missing something big? I see that a lot of you ladies teach it and you may be the perfect audience to ask. :)

It sure was great for my daughter. She excelled in it, and now has taken three more languages. She found Spanish and French very easy because of Latin. She's in Latin 300 level at college now, and is a junior in high school.

Her language sections on PSAT were almost perfect. She attributes that to her Latin background.

Can you tell I am pro-Latin? ;) I have to force my son to take it now. He is not eager.

Now, should I start a new thread for "Which Latin Program should we use?" or just do it here?

My dd9 is loving Memoria Press' Prima Latina. We use the DVD teacher along with the books and flashcards, which frees me up from having to teach it but I do want to learn as well, so I join in on the "class"! After this one, we will go on to Latina Christiana, also by Memoria Press.

Well so far it's unanimous!! I also posted at my Seton yahoo group and it's 100% teaching Latin as well. I've only had one dissenting vote.

Now, should I start a new thread for "Which Latin Program should we use?" or just do it here?

There are tons of these exact threads in the K-8 boards. The search function on these new boards isn't great yet, but I'm pretty sure if you just search "latin" in the k-8 board, you'd get enough hits to keep reading for a good while.

FWIW, I'm using Song School Latin (SSL) with my 6 & 10 year old - mostly for the 6 yr. old, but the 10 year old likes it too, so she joins in, along with Getting Started with Latin (GSWL) for my 10 year old, and will most likely be using Lively Latin next.

The Lively Latin website has a nice audio on "Why Latin?" aimed at the kids. Have her listen! One fact she provides: 95% of Italian words come from Latin. So she will be learning both if she does Latin!

And I agree - let her learn both. I did Spanish and Latin in high school. I would suggest you do a formal Latin, parts-to-whole curriculum. I like Lively Latin a lot. And she could do Rosetta Stone Italian, which is fun for her and not much work for you.

I'm using Latin as the base for my kids to learn any (or all) of the romance languages (whichever, and if they choose) as well as helping with English vocabulary, etc. Because I am not a native (or even fluent) speaker of French, Italian, Spanish etc. I feel more comfortable learning and teaching a "dead" language - pronunciation is less of a concern.

This is us too. Rebecca wants to learn French, but if we do Latin first, the other languages will come more easily.

As far as programs, you might look into Prima Latina and Latina Christiana by Memoria Press. We use Song School Latin (last year for Sylvia, K for Rebecca) and Latin For Children. I'm undecided what to do for next year.

This is us too. Rebecca wants to learn French, but if we do Latin first, the other languages will come more easily.

As far as programs, you might look into Prima Latina and Latina Christiana by Memoria Press. We use Song School Latin (last year for Sylvia, K for Rebecca) and Latin For Children. I'm undecided what to do for next year.

I keep hearing "Prima Latina" everywhere I go. I guess I should research it, eh? We already have Rosetta Stone Italian, as we bought it to learn Italian for our Mediterranean cruise. We never got very far with it.

I vote for doing both as well! We loved Getting Started With Latin so much and will start it with our third grader next year. Our current fifth grader is also learning French alongside Latin. I studied French in high school and Italian in college, and Italian is actually quite easy to learn, IMO; I think it is easier than French, especially pronunciation. It was fun!

Learning Latin has helped with organization and thought processes for my fifth grader (in addition to helping her understand English grammar and roots of English words), because it's very logical. When translating Latin sentences, she follows the same steps -- look for the verb; okay, now look for the subject; okay, now you need a direct object; etc. (Also, this child memorizes things very easily and is smart but tends to be disorganized. Latin is an ego boost for her because she's really good at it, and it stretches her brain gently but without being frustrating.)

My dd9 is loving Memoria Press' Prima Latina. We use the DVD teacher along with the books and flashcards, which frees me up from having to teach it but I do want to learn as well, so I join in on the "class"! After this one, we will go on to Latina Christiana, also by Memoria Press.

Same with us, we are really enjoying Primat Latina!

I say do them both. Get started with Latin now and then pick up Italian later.

I don't know much about the various resources for Latin but there are a whole bunch of them out there. For Italian I can recommend the Italian version of some of my favorite Spanish resources...I highly recommend a phrase and sentence approach to language, rather than a random smathering of vocabulary.

Italian for Beginners

An italian picture dictionary should be helpful

Practice Makes Perfect

and search for the Italian Kids videos on Youtube, I'm sure that there are many many great clips and even films online. I know I watch Disney movies in Spanish on Youtube

I say do them both. Get started with Italian now and then pick up Latin later.

I don't know much about the various resources for Latin but there are a whole bunch of them out there. For Italian I can recommend the Italian version of some of my favorite Spanish resources...I highly recommend a phrase and sentence approach to language, rather than a random smathering of vocabulary.

Italian for Beginners there is a Latin version also, incidentally. I have never used either but we own two copies of the Spanish book. Yes, its that neat.

Practice Makes Perfect Italian Grammar--not strictly for kids, but your daughter should be helped to work through the book and work on the materical in it. The two of you can work together through it, maybe?

and search for the Italian Kids videos on Youtube, I'm sure that there are many many great clips and even films online. I know I watch Disney movies in Spanish on Youtube

I say do them both. Get started with Italian now and then pick up Latin later.

Italian for Beginners there is a Latin versionalso, incidentally. I have never used either but we own two copies of the Spanish book. Yes, its that neat.

Practice Makes Perfect Italian Grammar--not strictly for kids, but your daughter should be helped to work through the book and work on the materical in it. The two of you can work together through it, maybe?

Thank you for all of your suggestions and advice! :)

First of all, I'm of the camp that if she wants to learn Italian, I'd let her learn Italian. (Sure, learning Latin will make learning Italian easier. But, if she has a passion for Italian NOW, I'd do it while she can pick up the vocab/accent when she's young. To do it right, you'll want someone who can speak it with her. You don't have to worry about that as much with Latin.)

Second, if you do go with Latin, the reason why you see Prima Latina mentioned a lot is because it is one of the main beginner programs (along with Song School Latin, for example). Also, it encorporates learning prayers in Latin. We're also Catholic, so my kids enjoyed that part.

I find that unless YOU know why you are having the kid do something specific, it is hard to get them to do it. They'll push back/ask why unless they like it right away or have a passion for it. It is important to be solid on why you are choosing to have them do it.

First of all, I'm of the camp that if she wants to learn Italian, I'd let her learn Italian. (Sure, learning Latin will make learning Italian easier. But, if she has a passion for Italian NOW, I'd do it while she can pick up the vocab/accent when she's young. To do it right, you'll want someone who can speak it with her. You don't have to worry about that as much with Latin.)

Second, if you do go with Latin, the reason why you see Prima Latina mentioned a lot is because it is one of the main beginner programs (along with Song School Latin, for example). Also, it encorporates learning prayers in Latin. We're also Catholic, so my kids enjoyed that part.

I find that unless YOU know why you are having the kid do something specific, it is hard to get them to do it. They'll push back/ask why unless they like it right away or have a passion for it. It is important to be solid on why you are choosing to have them do it.

I think this is my favorite piece of advice yet. Thank you!!