Menu

Another prayer request for a dear friend - UPDATE in 1st Post

k2bdeutmeyer

A dear friend of mine posted on FB on Saturday that her 12 month old niece was being admitted to the hospital and on a ventilator due to some sort of a virus/cold/infection. She posted an update yesterday saying:

"After X-Rays and a CT scan, Grace was diagnosed with a condition in her heart called "Dilated Cardiomyopathy." (The heart becomes weakened and enlarged. As a result, the heart cannot pump enough blood to the rest of the body) Lacey and Matt met with the Cardiologist team to discuss what happens next. They were told that there is a 1/3 chance her heart could start getting better and heal .... 1/3 chance things could stay the same, which would mean she wouldn't be able to play sports, etc. .... and a 1/3 chance that it could get worse, in which case they will send her to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto in a few days and have her put on the emergency heart transplant list. The next 48 hours are crucial! "

As of 2hr ago, the information was that they were transferring her to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto. Her heart stopped this morning and they had a difficult time reviving her. She desperately needs a transplant, but the doctor's are cautioning that they don't believe she will live to see it. She has been airlifted to Sick Kids and they are currently placing a pump in her to hopefully buy them some time until a heart becomes available.

If you have a moment to say a little prayer for a sweet baby girl, I know this family would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

UPDATE just posted from my friend:

My niece is in surgery right now getting an artificial heart put in (called a Berlin Heart) She is officially on the Heart Transplant list will be living at Sick Kids here in Toronto until she gets one. The doctors say to expect a wait of around 6 months.

In all honesty, this is probably the best news we could have gotten .... This morning they told my sister that even if she got well enough to go home, kids in her shape would be lucky to make it another 2 years before she'd 'crash' and need a heart transplant anyway. So now it's like they're skipping the years of 'waiting for the crash' YKWIM?

She will need a new heart every 15 years. My Sister and BIL are very hopeful and in good spirits. The great news is that once she heals from the surgery (which is about 6 hours long ... it started at 2:30ish today) she will get to wake up instead of being sedated! She can go for walks in the stroller around the hospital, eat normal food, be HELD by everyone .... and best of all, she can see her sister, (name removed) ♥

There are a few things we're really worried about right now-

a) Lacey is Due in mid-March with another baby

B) MONEY ... they have none, we have none to spare, my parents have none to spare ... etc. A family friend is setting up some sort of donation page to help them out. Parking is $25 a day, gas, all of their bills (especially since Matt hasn't been able to work and they live paycheck to paycheck) food ... and so on.

They are living with us the entire time. In our little 1100 sq ft. 2 bedroom apartment. We will make it work and we are happy to do anything for them ♥

The reference to everyone living with them the entire time is crazy, because my friend already has 3 kids 6, 5, and 4yr living in that 2 bedroom apt!!! Anyway, continued prayers would be very much appreciated!

praying. i am so sorry for them.

sick kids is great; i am glad they have taken her there!

once many years ago i flew from germany to toronto with a five month old, and they pulled her back from the brink.

ie. if anyone can help, i believe it is them.

heart heavy,

ann

Sick Kids is a world class hospital. Grace is in wonderful hands. Everyone there is amazing. We know a few families who have had children there and i have never heard anything but heaps & heaps of praise.

Kristin - we are not far from Toronto. PM me if there is anything we can do to help.

Sick Kids is a world class hospital. Grace is in wonderful hands. Everyone there is amazing. We know a few families who have had children there and i have never heard anything but heaps & heaps of praise.

Kristin - we are not far from Toronto. PM me if there is anything we can do to help.

That's so good to hear!! I will definitely let you know :)