Menu

To Kindle or Not To Kindle

Trinqueta got a Kindle Touch (the cheapest kind they sell) for Christmas and loves it. She always takes it in the car with her and she's reading more than ever before. Being able to set the type to a relatively large point and the interlineal spacing makes such a huge difference in the reading experience.

I have an old keyboard ereader and a fire. All of my content is in my My Kindle page, so even if the keyboard bites the dust (and it's getting pretty old for an e reader) I'll still have all my stuff available.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with a $69 Touch. It's worth it just to download the free classics instead of having to buy them used and store them.

I have the Fire and love it for homeschooling ... I have downloaded a lot of books to it, our Bible, a bunch of music ... I can carry that with me and do most of our homeschooling. I love how compact it is and how it lets me not have to search for a bunch of different books. My kids don't use it currently to read but they may in the future.

We have both here too. My daughter loves reading books on her Kindle Fire, the backlit screen is too hard on my eyes and I can't read on it for long periods of time. I got a basic Kindle with the e-ink for Christmas and I love it! So much easier to read on IMO. I still love 'real' paper books but I've found quite a few books for the Kindle for free or very cheap so I'm glad I got it.

Kindle. E-ink is awesome for avoiding blue light before sleep, but if you want more of an ipad option and the distraction of games-while-I-should-be-reading, the fire is cool and fun. We have both.

Much as I love the feel, smell and thrill of a new book, my old eyes are problematic.

I had a Nook 1st generation some time ago and then got a Kindle keyboard and I've been in love with it ever since.

I read on it daily and I can't imagine life without it. I use a light wedge to read with it at night in bed.

Just turned it over to my 12 year old who prefers real books but was dying to read Sherlock Holmes and we could only find one at the used book store. I had bought her a set of Amazon but she found the print too small even with her reading glasses.

16 year old has an older astak ez reader and loves it.

I'm confused about how you can lose all your content on the Kindle. I'm new to owning the Kindle but have been using the Kindle App for a while. I thought (but may be mistaken!) that everything you get from Amazon is stored in the cloud, where can choose to send (or re-send) it to any Kindle you own, or Kindle Apps. And if it's a file you bought, say files from Yesterday's Classics, or even freebies from other sources -- you either still have them on a PC somewhere or you can store them in the cloud too as personal files, right?

We just got a KindleFire for Christmas and I have my eye on maybe a Paperwhite or original for the 8yo, although the Kindle App on defunct smartphones does the trick for now. But I'd like to understand this problem better of "losing files." Thanks!

I'm confused about how you can lose all your content on the Kindle. I'm new to owning the Kindle but have been using the Kindle App for a while. I thought (but may be mistaken!) that everything you get from Amazon is stored in the cloud, where can choose to send (or re-send) it to any Kindle you own, or Kindle Apps. And if it's a file you bought, say files from Yesterday's Classics, or even freebies from other sources -- you either still have them on a PC somewhere or you can store them in the cloud too as personal files, right?

We just got a KindleFire for Christmas and I have my eye on maybe a Paperwhite or original for the 8yo, although the Kindle App on defunct smartphones does the trick for now. But I'd like to understand this problem better of "losing files." Thanks!

I didn't think of it as a problem of losing the books, just losing the ability to read them as you planned until you pony up the money to replace the broken Kindle. Would be a bummer to have to spend the money again, just to access the books, especially of you didn't feel the device lasted as long as it ought to have...especially for the money. And yes, the books are still out there, but I personally cannot read from a bright screen so if the Kindle dies, my enjoyment effectively does so as well.

I didn't think of it as a problem of losing the books, just losing the ability to read them as you planned until you pony up the money to replace the broken Kindle. <snip>

OK, that makes PERFECT sense and I quite agree... just wasn't thinking of it in that way. Thanks for clarifying!

We bought a Kindle Fire for our 13 year old for Christmas and he loves it!

A nice benefit --- I just purchased Smarr's Introduction to Literature program on CD from Rainbow Resource for next year ($63) and to purchase each of the required reading books in "paper form" would have cost an additional $70. I downloaded ALL of them onto my son's Kindle for FREE!

I am asking myself this right now, too. Why? Because both of my kindles just died, one at 2 years old, one at 1 year old (one 2nd gen, one fire), of course the warranties are expired and now I can't access my 700 + book library....

Physical books are looking much more attractive than having to buy a new kindle every few years....

The whole thing has quite pissed me off, frankly.

I didn't think of it as a problem of losing the books, just losing the ability to read them as you planned until you pony up the money to replace the broken Kindle. Would be a bummer to have to spend the money again, just to access the books, especially of you didn't feel the device lasted as long as it ought to have...especially for the money. And yes, the books are still out there, but I personally cannot read from a bright screen so if the Kindle dies, my enjoyment effectively does so as well.

*exactly*

Yup, that is the exact lesson I learned this week.

I have an older model that my husband bought me a few Christmases ago. I thought I would love it and use it all the time, but I don't. I love the feel of a book too much to use it. If I traveled a lot it would probably be very handy though.

I am asking myself this right now, too. Why? Because both of my kindles just died, one at 2 years old, one at 1 year old (one 2nd gen, one fire), of course the warranties are expired and now I can't access my 700 + book library....

Physical books are looking much more attractive than having to buy a new kindle every few years....

I can see your point. We still loves books and have 3 full expedit books to show it, but space has become a huge issue for us since we downsized our living space tremendously. We just bought the new kindle fire HD since it has the immersion capability which we are loving for more rigorous classical books.

I can see your point. We still loves books and have 3 full expedit bookcases to show it, but space has become a huge issue for us since we downsized our living space tremendously. We just bought the new kindle fire HD since it has the immersion capability which we are loving for more rigorous classical books.

oops. double post.

I can see your point. We still loves books and have 3 full expedit bookcases to show it, but space has become a huge issue for us since we downsized our living space tremendously. We just bought the new kindle fire HD since it has the immersion capability which we are loving for more rigorous classical books.

I have 27 bookcases. :D And pretty much nothing but old books. We moved three years ago, and I culled out all of the newer fiction apart from stuff that we love. (I cheat, though, I live in an old Victorian that actually has a library with floor to ceiling bookshelves)

Thankfully I've haunted UBSs forever and love the library book sales, so I have tons of old readers, and out of print classics.

Between Prime and having to buy a new kindle every year, that's 200 to Amazon right off the bat. Bezos is not my favorite person right now.

Not that it is applicable to "school" exactly--I will add that an e-reader (I use a Kindle Keyboard or iPad) is much easier to use at the gym. I have lots of trouble with bound books on a treadmill but find readers where I can enlarge the type face to be much easier.

I have one child who likes the Kindle app a great deal and reads books on a laptop. (I'm sure fingers are crossed in the hopes of receiving an actual reader or iPad someday.)

One way we use ebooks is for me to keep up with the kids literature reading. I often have them read a print version since annotating it is a bit easier and I read and annotate one of the free or low cost versions on the Kindle. This keeps cost down, shelf space free and poundage of books in the house lower.

I was skeptical for a long time because I love books--real books. However, our family is overrun with them, so I bought a Kindle two years ago. What makes the difference for me is having a nice cover that looks and feels like a book. The photos of people holding only the device to show off how thin and light it is don't appeal to me, but I like the heft and feel of a leather, book-like cover. FWIW, I have a Kindle 2 with WiFi only (keyboard) and use apps for my PC and i-pod for reading books with lots of maps and color photos. I am disappointed that the newer versions have less memory, and am still sorting through the pros and cons of storing content offsite.

The Kindle Mobi editions are reasonably priced and have interactive TOC's and as for Project Gutenberg....I've locked up my device from trying to download too much in one sitting. A lot of the free classics (from Kindle and others) do not have interactive TOC's so beware if that's an issue.

The 1-click buying is almost too convenient, but I have reversed one purchase and it worked as advertised--that was a relief. I do keep myself on a strict budget and make good use of free sample downloads and the wish list feature. If I were still homeschooling, we'd be using a combination of e-readers and tablets.

Something that happens here fairly often is me stopping on my way to the car to turn on my Kindle and ipod so that I can download and sync my current read to take along. I can do that faster than I can find my keys and cell phone. :D Is it a "must have" device? Probably not, but I enjoy it!

I love, love, love my Kindle. I've had both the keyboard and the paperwhite over the last few years. To me, the Fire isn't an ereader, it is just another type of tablet, so I don't put it in the same category. I don't imagine that I will ever go back to not owning an erreader, though. Since I bought my Kindle, I've read so many more books than I did before. It is just much more convenient and much less expensive for me. I plan on getting my girls Kindles when they are old enough to take care of one.

I have had a few break on me. It seems like the screens are fairly prone to snapping. Luckily, Amazon has had amazing customer service and replaced 2 of the broken ones for free. When I bought my paperwhite, I did invest in the protection plan for like $30 because my family has a history of breaking my Kindles. I've never bought a protection plan for an electronic before, but I think this one was worth it for our family, at least.

As for buying books and being required to have a Kindle to access them, I disagree with that being a downside. While I see the pp's points, I don't see how this is any different than buying music or movies on itunes. You don't have anything concrete and you have to have specialized hardware to use it (ipod, headphones, speakers, computer, etc.). Any digital file you buy requires a device to use it. That's just the name of the game. And with Kindles, you can buy a Kindle-specific device, or you can download a program on your computer to read the books, or you can download apps in Android or iPad/iPod format as well. You aren't locked in at all except that the file is digital. It also seems to me that Kindles are very reasonably priced for a piece of technology, so it's not like they gouge you there either.

I don't think they are for everyone, but for me and my family, they are wonderful and we will continue to use them. :)

• 5 months later...

Those with Kindles - worthwhile purchase? You and your kids reading from it and using it regularly or is it weird reading some stuff off it? Thus far I have not wanted to take the Kindle plunge b/c I have wondered if I'd be annoyed by the Kindle. I know books are cheaper to purchase on Kindle!

I rarely use mine. It is just a plain e-reader, not the fire version. I purchased it because I wanted to buy all the Lang Fairy books and I could get them for free on my kindle. I do use it sometimes and right now I've got it loaned out to my niece. She has to read a couple of books every summer for public school, and it's always been a struggle to get her to do so. She has ADD. My sister says the kindle is making a tremendous difference for her. I don't know if it is the novelty or if it's because she can make the print really large and feel like she's making a lot of progress quickly. If her interest in it continues, I may just give it to her. My own kids have no interest in the kindle. I have not found books to be cheaper as a rule, other than the old ones, which are free.

I absolutely adore my Kindle and I read almost exclusively on it because it is light and lots of the books I read are heavy and hurt my arthritic hands and wrists and I can make the font bigger so my poor old eyes can see the writing.

I have the Kindle 3 with keyboard and I have never had any issues with it.