Menu

Let's talk towels

RoundAbout

I have a bunch of white towels that are a few years old. Great shape but they are rough as all get out. Any chance on reviving these or is it time for something new? How long do you expect your towels to last?

We're moving soon and the budget is tight so I'd prefer not to replace them just yet, but sand paper towels are a little embarrassing with company coming.

I've had my bath towels from Target almost 2 months and they are as soft as anything but are coming apart like crazy - threads pulling out all over the place. They were the least expensive kind they carried, but even so I expected a little more from them. :glare:

I'd try the vinegar rinse before replacing.

Considering that I have not purchased bath towels since we got married 20 years ago and one set is just starting to show some wear I am going to say they should last 20 years.

If my towels are feeling less than fluffy I do a vinegar rinse.

Also, don't use fabric softener on towels, as it can actually make them stiffer...

And that's one of the reasons I use Amway's laundry products: the fabric softener doesn't build up on clothes such that it makes towels stiffer. I happily add fabric softener to everything I wash, and everything is nice and soft, including the towels. :-)

a good quality towel can last a long time. I only buy 100% cotton because polyesters/synthetics don't absorb water worth a darn and they eventually get rough. most towels come with a "coating" to make them soft in the store. (also keeps them from absorbing very well.)

I buy towels from costco, and I easily use them for 10 years+ before turning them into rags. (I don't use paper towels unless we are traveling). I still use rags from towels I bought 20+ years ago. (when they're totally dead, I send them to the garage for dh to use on things they must be thrown away after using.)

If they are objectionably rough, try washing them in vinegar to get any detergent residue out before washing with a regular load in hot water. then you can try fabric softener - though that will coat them and reduce absorbancy.

Seriously, I expect our towels to last forever. The bath towels the boys use have been around for no less than 10 years and they are still fine. The towels dh and I regularly use are more like 18 years old, although they are ragged around the edges; I wouldn't intend them for company. The funny thing is, I bought two new towels for us about 5 years ago, but neither of us use those towels. They are too thick/fluffy! I don't want to feel like I'm drying off with a bedspread!

People buy towels? :)

Seriously, I got 4 towels when I married 11 years ago (nearly), and then I had a towel from college, and then I inherited some towels later when grandparents died. I think my oldest towel is 25 years old.

They're starting to look ratty. I think it's time for new ones, hmmmm?