Menu

Just found out an old friend's son was killed just before Christmas

PrincessMommy

He was killed in a car accident. I'm just so sad for the family. We went to church together for 13yrs but lost contact once we all started going to different churches about 10yrs ago. The thing that makes me extra sad is that my BIL and his family heard about it and went to the funeral and I just found out about it from another family member. They never called to tell us!?! Why don't people make sure old friends find out about this stuff.? :crying: (I'm not on FB - I couldn't know about it unless someone let me know).

We were all having our kids at the same time and the dad was our homeschool reviewer for many years when we first started out. I remember when J was born and he's between the ages of two of my college kids. So, so sad. I can't imagine the heartache they're feeling and I feel awful I didn't know about it and wasn't at the funeral (even though it's been a while since we've seen them - I'm sure they would have appreciated the support at such a tragic time in their life).

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. It's been heavy on my heart since I heard about it yesterday.

Why don't people make sure old friends find out about this stuff.? :crying:

First hugs to you...

As to why people don't make sure others know... It's pretty common. I've been the last in the family to know stuff for a long time. When faced with a huge crisis, people have other stuff on their mind. They'll tell a few close friends, and then trust the grapevine - which usually does a great job, except for some leaves unfortunately.

Don't take it personally. Just grieve the loss of this boy, don't mind the rest.

First hugs to you...

As to why people don't make sure others know... It's pretty common. I've been the last in the family to know stuff for a long time. When faced with a huge crisis, people have other stuff on their mind. They'll tell a few close friends, and then trust the grapevine - which usually does a great job, except for some leaves unfortunately.

Don't take it personally. Just grieve the loss of this boy, don't mind the rest.

thanks. I'm trying very hard not to be offended... except this isn't the first time something like this has happened with these family members.

:grouphug:

Could you send them a sympathy note? Let them know you just heard and wanted to pass along your condolences.

Yes, I plan to send out a card with a note over the next day or so.

I lost my 21 year old son in a car accident in 2010. I would suggest you send a card or email or phone call. Honestly, there was over 100 people at my son's funeral. I was so completely out of it. I couldn't begin to talk to everyone. I was so glad they were there, but the messages that trickled in were so helpful. Every grieving parent's fear is that their child will be forgotten. It helps so much when somebody shares their memories. I'm so sorry.