Menu

Just curious - does anyone buy those holiday swim suits?

momofkhm

Since I buy my lap suits at Swimoutlet.com, I'm on their mailing list. I get emails telling me that the new suits for (Christmas, St Pat's, Easter) are now available. When I swim, I wait until the high schoolers are finished and at school, I only see the "old" people swimming and they all wear black suits. I feel out of place in my blue on blue print! Anyway, I don't see what the high schoolers are wearing, but I assume they are the one who would buy holiday suits. But does anyone actually buy them? Not necessarily yours, do you see them at the pool?

I have wondered this too. They have some cute holiday suits, but I am waaaayyyyyy too cheap to consider buying them. Plus at my age, I would feel a little silly. I have never seen the young girls wearing them either, but here in small town America perhaps we are all too frugal for such?

I was swimming last week when a class from a high school was having a field trip. I think they were about 30 teen girls. 1 was wearing a colorful two piece. It mostly covered her belly. The other girls were all wearing string bikinis.

When we swim on the weekend it is odd to see any non adult female wearing something other then a bikini, usually string.

Last weekend while teaching I was wearing the suit issued to me by my rec center with the rec center logo stamped on the chest (and peeling at this point). One of my coworkers who is easily in her 50s was wearing a suit covered in candy canes. I'm sure the kids liked it. I'm down to teaching only one day a week. Next week is the last of the session. Perhaps if I was teaching several days a week, I would be comfortable buying such a suit because I could give it heavy use before the holiday.

Funny you should ask. Only one or two swimmers -- elementary school-aged -- ever wore them when the team was strictly recreational. But the team recently merged with another and is now a USA Swimming club, and for whatever reason we've seen a lot of holiday suits on the elementary and middle school girls.

These two are popular this year:

They're Dolfin Uglies, which my girls really like (strong, long-lasting practice suits that fit well), so when I saw this:

I had to get it for them -- even though, yes, they're in high school. They are volunteer coaches for the two practices before their own, and I figured it would further endear them to the developing swimmers -- which it did, but the real surprise was that so many of their same-age peers expressed approval, saying that they needed to dig up the holiday suits their mothers got for them. (*wry grin*)

Since someone mentioned cost, I will just say that in addition to fitting well and lasting longer that your typical practice suit, Dolfin Uglies really are pretty inexpensive: The suits pictured run $24 to $34.

We've gotten them in grab bags. They were always a big hit. The "in" suit here for years was a series of suits with parrots on them, printed upside down! They were cheap and at one time 10 girls on the team had them--our local store carried them.

My youngest got the blue Christmas tree Ugly in a grab bag a few months ago. She has been patiently waiting all this time to wear it.

My girls are on different teams but lots of girls on both teams have seasonal suits. Very cute,Imho.

Georgia