Menu

bit panicky, need reassurance

kiwik

I finally gave in to the niggly voice in the back of my head and had ds5.5 tested. Is GIA/IQ result was in the >99.9th percentile range.

I am hopeless when it comes to advocacy and the idea of trying to argue with teachers both terrifies me and exhausts me. Can someone who has done this give me a kick in the right direction?

First find out your state laws for the gifted and talented. It is always good to know. Secondly find out your school district's GATE policy. Than find out how GATE is implemented at your son's school. Our assigned neighborhood school's GATE program is underfunded and majority of the funding comes from PTA.

Have you have your first Parent Teacher meeeting yet? For my boys, we work out a plan during the first meeting. Their kindergarten teachers were experienced with dealing with kids who are gifted/2E/SN so I had an easy time reaching a "partnership agreement" with them.

I am not in the US and we do not have an equivalent here. The options are basically a privately run one day a week programme which I can't afford, a creation over the principals dead body or in class differentiation.

I am trying to get up the courage to tutor him in maths over the summer (next week is our last week) and push for subject acceleration since his strongest points are maths and problem solving. Also maybe some logic - has anyone used the prufrock press stuff.

Really I am just in shock and need to get a grip.

Thanks for listening.

I am not in the US and we do not have an equivalent here. The options are basically a privately run one day a week programme which I can't afford, a creation over the principals dead body or in class differentiation.

I was in the gifted programme in Singapore. We have in class differentiation to a certain degree. We had acceleration and enrichment opportunities even though some teachers would go the extra mile. We have mentorship programme too. I had to advocate for myself sometimes. Let me know if you want more info.

Definitely see what type of programs your district offers. In our school district, there is effectively no program and the only option is in-class differentiation. While the teachers have been supportive and flexible, the reality IMO has been that in-class differentiation requires a high level of motivation to work independently on the part of the child, as they work on more advanced activities separately from the main group. There is just not much time for the teacher to work with one child separately. Also, it is luck-of-the-draw as to whether there are any other children at a similar level in the class (often there are not), so true peer interaction is limited or nonexistent (compared to, say, a pull-out program where a child works with gifted peers).

Skipping a grade or two is an option you may want to consider, but the suitability depends on if your child is accelerated pretty much across-the-board. If the child is very asynchronious in certain areas, you can see if your school will offer acceleration in a particular subject matter area (e.g., they go to a different classroom at a higher grade level only for math instruction). Our school used to do that but no longer will, because once the child maxes out at the 5th grade level they don't know what to do with them.

Even with grade skipping, my children found the lack of meaty subjects at the elementary level frustrating. In our district, science and social studies really aren't introduced until 3rd grade. My girls wanted to learn stuff, not just skills, KWIM?

That's largely why I decided to homeschool. After 5 years of attempting to work within the system, I found it a much better use of my time and energy (and less frustrating) to develop the type of curriculum that they need, rather than spending that time and energy attempting to advocate on their behalf.

(I don't know if that was very reassuring - sorry! :-)

We attempted early entry to school (unofficial) and radical acceleration when DS was tested at those levels as a preschooler. It was still far from enough and in the end we've decided to home school for now. While I would love to find a school option for my DS, we are in the same country as you, and have similar options (which are not options for us either). I still have hopes of negotiating some kind of part time option one day... or finding something that works.

You could move near me and our boys could play and drive each other mad :-)

We hit a real wall with the school before they did their own testing. They did not want to test ds, but I requested a whole grade acceleration (by putting him in K a year early). After they saw their own test results, the school was willing to bend over backwards--and this is a school district that does not provide gifted services until 3rd grade. Sometimes people in the education field are fascinated by kids like this and want to be involved in making the school work for them--but *they* need to see it, not just accept the parents' word for it. (Just FYI, we requested whole grade acceleration, which was accepted and ds did. However, even if we didn't want him accelerated, it would have been useful to request it, have them test him, and meet with the acceleration team. We could have denied acceleration, but it put a 4 year old on the radar screen of decision-makers who would not have been involved for another 5 years if we hadn't requested the acceleration.)

I was re reading some of the materials we were given 30 years ago when we went to gifted kids parent sessions possibly sponsored by the Torrance Center at UGA. There were a lot of recommended books and behaviors, but one basic advice I remember is this: It is crucial for a gifted kid to have gifted peers/playmates before age 7, even if you have to import them. This is something you can do yourself.

Thanks for the feedback. I have found a workmate whose child attended the one day school (once a week gifted programme). She is going to see what the scholarship situation is - there are some but you go on a waiting list), also the principal at his current school can refuse leave to attend. Strangely enough there are two highly gifted girls in his kids church group (8 children) and a boy about to come up from the preschool as well. I suspect one of the children he plays with at school is too.

I am a bit annoyed he has been placed in a Y1/Y2 class for next year (he will be in Y2) this doesn't give a lot of scope for extension. Because he will have been at school up to a year less than some of the other Y2's he won't be top. But he learns fast if allowed.

I Will set up a meeting with his new teacher next week. He is supposed to get an IEP.

Thanks

Your current situation is exactly why we started homeschooling (in NZ as well).

In class differentiation worked for us for Y1. DS had his first year in a Y1/2 class and quickly caught up to the top Y2s. The following year he was in a Y1/2 class again - total disaster. The teacher wouldn't differentiate. He had to do what the top group was doing even though he was already a full year ahead of them. His behaviour deteriorated because he was so bored so then they wouldn't let him go to the GATE programme either.

We tried to negotiate for part time school but they weren't interested. They just wanted to control his behaviour. We pulled him out April of Y2 (for a year or so until we could sort something out, we thought) and have never looked back. He is 12 now and never wants to go back to school.

We didn't find out about One Day School until we were already homeschooling, but when I went to check it out they weren't doing anything that I couldn't give him at home. We did sign up with the social group associated with http://www.giftedchildren.org.nz/ and that was great to provide a peer group.

My best suggestion at this stage would be for you to move next door to Grover ;)

Think that is rather a long way to move. I can't home school because I am a solo mother and need to work. It am trying to come up with a way that I could do it. I like the idea of partial homes hooking but I'm not sure it is legal. The principal of my son's school is very anti homeschooling but we don't have to stay there. I will just have to take it one day at a time for now. I wish he had been put in a Y2/Y3 class but he will be one of the youngest in Y2.

Think that is rather a long way to move. I can't home school because I am a solo mother and need to work. It am trying to come up with a way that I could do it. I like the idea of partial homes hooking but I'm not sure it is legal. The principal of my son's school is very anti homeschooling but we don't have to stay there. I will just have to take it one day at a time for now. I wish he had been put in a Y2/Y3 class but he will be one of the youngest in Y2.

It will depend a lot on the personality of your child. I know there are people on the afterschooling board here who have their kids in school just for the babysitting (their admission) and do the academics at home. That wouldn't have worked for my son as he was exhausted from just coping with the sensory overstimulation of the classroom each day. If he is happy in the classroom and you get a teacher who lets him do his own thing that may work.

I have heard of people doing part time homeschooling in NZ but it requires the agreement of the individual school. Another thing to look into is NZ Correspondence School. If the school can't provide for his needs then you can qualify for some subjects through NZCS (free) to be done at school. It is not ideal for a gifted kid but better than nothing.

I would also contact the gifted children group in your area and ask which schools people have found accommodating. I'm not sure what area you are in but you will probably have more success in a bigger city area. Our initial experience was in a town of 5000. We later moved to Auckland and there were a lot more options there. The downside is that the cost of living is also a lot higher.

I'm sorry but what came out with the automatic spell check on this is just cracking me up this morning. :rofl:

Not surprised I cracked up when it did it the first time but I thought I had fixed it. Funnily enough partial home hooking is legal and doesn't require anyones permission. Partial home-schooling on the other hand is more problematic. Strange world isn't it?

Thanks Grover. I have asked around a bit and the other going into Y2 kids I know are going in to Y2 only or Y2/Y3 classes (these are kids who did Y0). I very much fear at this point that he is going to end up one of the older kids. I don't see that working.

How is this for a plan

Verify the class makeup

If it is as I fear;

Make an appointment with the teacher and gifted advisor to discuss. He is supposed to have an IEP according to the psychologist so maybe I could put something in about changing classes if it doesn't work.

In-class differentiation is almost always a joke for kids above the 99.8th percentile. It is just more busywork of a different form. I had teachers attempt to "differentiate" for me in elementary school. To be honest, I didn't even notice at the time that they were trying to teach me anything.

In-class differentiation is almost always a joke for kids above the 99.8th percentile. It is just more busywork of a different form. I had teachers attempt to "differentiate" for me in elementary school. To be honest, I didn't even notice at the time that they were trying to teach

anything.

I am inclined to agree. The problem (apart from education politics) is that there is nothing except his score to suggest he needs anything. He seems happy enough, he is good at reading but not the best (he is the youngest and we start school when we turn five rather than all together). He could be stretched a lot more in maths but he doesn't know all his basic facts.

And they will say he is not mature enough.

My son went to the one day school; he was the only homeschooler there at the time. I was not super impressed for the $$. It is basically the cost of 1/5 of a private school. What we found is about 1/2 the kids there were just naughty at the one-day school where things were a bit freer than they were used to in school. Plus, NZ has a major shortage of gifted teachers, so my son did not have anyone specially trained. I am sure that is very school specific, but I would ask around before making a big hunt for the $$.

One of the boys at the one day school was 6.5 years old and doing year 8 math and year 7 Language Arts through correspondence school at his school. He did not particularly like it because he felt like he was always working alone, plus the correspondence school material for a year 8 kid is not really extension material for a 6.5 year old. But it did work for a while. I have heard recently that he has moved to a private school where they have tailored the program for him. I know this is not an option for you, but it might be interesting to talk to a private school to see what they could do, and then use this to demonstrate possibilities at your school.

There is also a NZ association for Gifted Children http://www.giftedchildren.org.nz/ "The autonomous regional branches organise activities - clubdays, speakers, parent evenings and so on - where gifted children and their parents can find support, friendship and stimulation." I am sure that they will know how to advocate for gifted children.

Just found this document about NZ schools and meeting gifted kids needs: http://gifted.tki.org.nz/ would suggest you read it before you talk to the principal.

We are in Wellington, and you are more than welcome to hop a ferry and come for a visit.

Ruth in NZ

lewelma, I propise you take a road trip to Christchurch these holidays, collecting kiwik on the way through.

kiwik, after much discussion with various schools I came to the conclusion that finding a fit for DS was just not going to happen - putting him with significantly older (y5/6 as a new 5 year old) was not something I was willing to accept, and the other options all involved him working on his own at the side of the classroom, which he wasn't happy with. If your little guy is happy with going to school for the friends, and the other stuff, then perhaps you could look at after schooling / letting him pursue his own levels at home and look at school as babysitting? Maybe look into dual enrollment as an option to give him something to do at school and/or investigate your local ODS (I agree with lewelma - it totally depends on the teacher / class / child as to the value of the programme and in the interests of full disclosure I'll tell you I work for them down here).

Good luck, it's all a bit scary when you start understanding just how enormous those numbers are.

I have ascertained that he will not be the oldest in the class - there will be 6 to 9 kids older than him but I have no idea a about their level. I have given the teacher a copy of the phycologist's (I cannot spell the word twice in a row) report and will just have to leave it until next year.

In the meantime we will keep working through MEP (thanks Ruth) and keep up the reading. Will update you when something happens.

hi Grover just reread your reply. I am in Nelson is that any good for a play date?

If you are in Nelson you may have more options than you think. When we were looking at moving from Aus to Motueka there was an "unschooling school" called I think "The Mountain School". Somewhat Summerhill style where children studied what they liked and turned up when they wanted. I'm sure a lot of parents actually used it as homeschooling with daytime babysitting, which would leave you free to work while excusing him from the painful experience of sitting through boring material he already knows. I didn't keep details because we had already decided to homeschool. In any case, it pays to keep an open mind. IMO highly gifted kids aren't often served well by traditional classrooms in any country.

The mountain school is still going but is a good 1 1/2 drive which wouldn't really work. One of the people who started the mountain school is trying to set up a democratic school in nelson itself but are still in the early stages. I suspect a lot of afterschooling

would be required.

Lewelma: the main advantage of the one day school seems to be a break. If I could keep him home a couple of afternoons I have the background to do maths and science myself and know a lot of experts in various science areas.

One day at a time I think.

Lewelma

Yes, I meant to say that I wondered if there would be something similar actually in Nelson. I hope it was clear by the way that I didn't mean I thought a school like that would meet his academic needs - just that you said you couldn't homeschool because you needed to work. So a more pleasant day time environment for him & after schooling his interests with you would be one possible solution.

One day at a time is always good :)

My son, 8 next month, also scored over the 99.9th.

He is attending school this year for the first time and is LOVING it. Not just that, he is also a year behind to what he could possibly be. (We do have a very late cut off date - 5 by end of Feb of the next year.)

He is an amazing leader amoung his classmates - even within the year older. He is thriving academically and is adored by all his peers.

*I* wish he was more challenged academically, but the positives far outweigh the fact that his boy, who easily explains Pythagorus, has to do 13 + 40 and the like, for most of the year.

When speaking about next year, he is torn between having more fun at school and learning more at home.

My point it, don't sweat it to much...it might just work out...sort off.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all. I think it is just a bit hard for me to just wait until there is a problem before dealing with it. I do not have fond memories of school - I think I spent a lot of the time reading while waiting for others to finish. At least my son seems to have inherited his fathers sports abilities rather than mine.

happy new year