Menu

Open and Go All in One Language Arts?

Paige

I'm looking for language arts that would include spelling, grammar, writing, handwriting, and maybe some phonics for 2nd/3rd grade. They are 3rd grade but I'm willing to go down a level. What we have been doing is not working. They don't like it, it's taking too long, and most importantly, they aren't retaining it. We are using AAS and Climbing to Good English, KISS, MCT, and things I pull together. I think I was throwing everything at them to see what would take and nothing is really working. None of what I have been using would be sufficient all by itself...if it were, I wouldn't have been supplementing. I need something gentle and easy and preferably one book. They like workbooks. I looked at Rod and Staff and Abeka, but I'm confused as to what I need. They are 3rd grade and can read quite well but sometimes forget the phonograms they don't use often. I love AAS, but realistically, it is taking too long for too little progress. I'd rather not spend $200 a kid too, but at this point ease of use is higher on my list than price. They need something that goes slowly and has a lot of incremental steps and is very gentle. MCT was gentle, but didn't have enough steps. Climbing to Good English doesn't have enough repetition. KISS doesn't include the other parts of language arts. Any ideas? If you think Rod and Staff or Abeka would be best, what do I need? Or maybe CLE?

Learning Language arts through literature is all in one and open and go. It is gentle. It's generally considered a grade behind, so if you want 3rd grade you'd choose what they have listed as 4th, for instance, I used Yellow this year with my 2nd grader with no problems, they have it listed as 3rd grade. We've used the first 3 levels (blue, red & yellow) and have really enjoyed it. http://commonsensepress.com/covers.htm

You can buy the student and teacher book from book depository, here's the link to the 3rd/4th grade level - http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=learning+language+arts+through+literature&page=1&searchRefined=1&searchAddedTerm=orange&submit=Go&price=&availability=&format=&searchSortBy=popularity&searchLang=

You might take a look at CLE. It is all-inclusive for LA. Writing, grammar, handwriting, and some phonics with spelling words all in one. They are convenient thin workbooks. I actually really like CLE, but it is too much work for my daughter who has had some vision troubles in the past. I use R&S for English, and then other things for everything else. But if there weren't so much paper and pencil work in CLE, it would be my top choice.

www.clp.org

We recently switched to CLE Language Arts. It includes grammar, spelling, penmanship, phonics, and some writing. I needed something independent because we're adding my youngest into the mix, and now I'm trying to juggle four kids. My two oldest seem to be natural spellers, so I'm hoping their spelling program will be sufficient.

They some in "Light Units" that contain about 15 lessons each, so you can buy one or two and try it out before having to commit to a year's worth. I'd put them in at grade level and go from there.

Oh, and we still use WWE, but that only take a couple of minutes per kid.

I used Language Smarts last year (a year behind) and we liked it. its heavily logic-based, with logic puzzles interspersed, but its a big fat workbook. there is some writing - just sentences here and there until very near the end of the 2nd grade book we used last year

I have used A Beka for K-2nd grade which is really phonics heavy and rigorous. This year for my 3rd grader we switched to Learning Language Arts Through Literature (yellow). It is gentle and possibly a grade behind but my dd8 never got any of this with A Beka. With A Beka language arts (nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc) isn't taught until 3rd grade. However, LLATL doesn't have the repetition that A Beka has built in to their books. With A Beka everything is spoon fed and based mostly on memorization but with LLATL it's literature based and the activities are designed for the kids to find out the answers themselves. Both are all-in-one Language Arts curricula but LLATL needs to be supplemented with a reading list IMO.

I have used A Beka for K-2nd grade which is really phonics heavy and rigorous. This year for my 3rd grader we switched to Learning Language Arts Through Literature (yellow). It is gentle and possibly a grade behind but my dd8 never got any of this with A Beka. With A Beka language arts (nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc) isn't taught until 3rd grade. However, LLATL doesn't have the repetition that A Beka has built in to their books. With A Beka everything is spoon fed and based mostly on memorization but with LLATL it's literature based and the activities are designed for the kids to find out the answers themselves. Both are all-in-one Language Arts curricula but LLATL needs to be supplemented with a reading list IMO.

I'm really torn between these two. I like the gentle literature based approached of Learning Language Arts through Literature. I think the girls would be less bored and happier. On the other hand, they really need repetition and spoon feeding and they do not do well with spiral programs in any subject at all. Are Abeka and LLATL spiral or mastery? I can't tell for sure. Maybe I could do LLATL and pick up some Kumon books for more practice,

My 2nd grader is using LLATL Red. The short, quick portions seem to be working for him. I find it pretty open and go. I haven't used and other grades, but so far I'm considering continuing with it for grade 3. I also have Classical Writing Primer which was a bit too much copy work for him. I may use that for 3rd instead.

While LLATL does include handwriting and spelling, I find them somewhat lacking and supplement.

I'm really torn between these two. I like the gentle literature based approached of Learning Language Arts through Literature. I think the girls would be less bored and happier. On the other hand, they really need repetition and spoon feeding and they do not do well with spiral programs in any subject at all. Are Abeka and LLATL spiral or mastery? I can't tell for sure. Maybe I could do LLATL and pick up some Kumon books for more practice,

LLATL is spiral. I've used the first 3 levels with success. I did supplement though. Definitely more books, I'd be surprised if anyone only read the books they listed, but they do use some great books. We pick other books primarily from Ambleside Online, or whatever takes our fancy.

I supplemented Blue level (K) with Explode the code. I supplemented Red (1st) with WWE1 and this year I supplemented Yellow (2nd) with Classical Writing primers.

I'm looking for language arts that would include spelling, grammar, writing, handwriting, and maybe some phonics for 2nd/3rd grade.

I need something gentle and easy and preferably one book.

They like workbooks

I'd rather not spend $200 a kid too, but at this point ease of use is higher on my list than price.

They need something that goes slowly and has a lot of incremental steps and is very gentle.

I'm not a fan of all-in-one LA programs, but you are describing Logic of English Essentials. It is designed for 7 & up. It has all of the above (although the writing is "dictation" -- not creative writing). It isn't all in one book, but it has a TM, a workbook (Cursive or Manuscript) for each child and a spelling journal for each child. I would say that you could use your AAS phonogram cards. They should be similar. You are looking at just under $200 for both kids (together, not each).

I'm having trouble linking today, but check it out at: www.logicofenglish.com/store/curriculum/essentials-curriculum

or www.logicofenglish.com/products/essentials-curriculum

Sounds to me like you are describing LLATL. We are in our 2nd year of LLATL (yellow) and we like it. It's not perfect, but I think it's the closest for now. It's not as literature based as the name implies, so you will definitely need to add a reading list. It is extremely gentle so sometimes I add to it or double up on lessons, but I don't think it's necessary to. It covers everything, but it's short and sweet. So if your student needs more in one area you can add that in without having 3-5 different books going on or with LA taking all day. It is also very repetitive (not as much as FLL), but not in a boring way. There is no drill and kill or memorization; it is repetitive in order to review and build on concepts.

Make sure to take a look at the 3rd and 4th grade samples because your 3rd graders will probably place in the 4th grade book.

We recently switched to CLE Language Arts. It includes grammar, spelling, penmanship, phonics, and some writing. I needed something independent because we're adding my youngest into the mix, and now I'm trying to juggle four kids. My two oldest seem to be natural spellers, so I'm hoping their spelling program will be sufficient.

They some in "Light Units" that contain about 15 lessons each, so you can buy one or two and try it out before having to commit to a year's worth. I'd put them in at grade level and go from there.

Oh, and we still use WWE, but that only take a couple of minutes per kid.

I love CLE. We use it for LA but I still am using AAS. They have placement tests online so you could easily decide which level you need. Also they have lots of samples of each light unit on the website. Plus it's cheap!

Elise in NC

A few thoughts...

1, I've never found an AIO LA that worked here, because my kids were in such different places in spelling, grammar, and writing.

2, you don't have to cover every topic every year. It's fine to have a focus on grammar or writing, or to do units of them rather than one topic all year.

3, when you need to put together your own program, use time limits rather than any designation that the curriculum puts in place, to decide how much to do. This way, LA takes as much or as little time as you want it to. For 2nd-3rd grade, I would look at 15-20 minutes for spelling, 20-30 minutes for grammar or writing, 30 minutes for reading (including reading instruction, if your children still need that), and 10 minutes for handwriting practice if your children need that (mine always did at this age, but some people are able to combine that with other writing).

An incremental grammar that worked fairly well here was Easy Grammar. And an incremental writing program that has worked here is Essentials in Writing. Essentials even includes grammar at the elementary levels, I just haven't used it at that level.

Even if you only do one level of AAS per year from 2nd-8th grade, they'll be spelling at a high school level when they are done--sometimes it doesn't look like progress in the beginning, but it really is laying a solid foundation.

HTH some, Merry :-)

Galore Park Junior English. It has everything but the handwriting. The writing is just prompts - you have to give the guidance. Book 1 is for ages 7-8, book 2 is for 8-9, book 3 is for 9-10. It's not workbooks though. Samples for book 1 on this page. Buy in the US from Horriblebooks.com or with free postage from bookdepository.co.uk

Laura

I agree with Galore Park Junior English - except for handwriting and writing instruction (there are prompts). Not sure about phonics or spelling (there may be some in book 1?)

Have you looked at Moving Beyond the Page? It has literature, writing, grammar, usage - still no handwriting or phonics, though. There is spelling, but it wouldn't be my first choice (mostly just a list of spelling words - not instruction).

I also agree with Galore Park recommendations. Ariel had much better retention with GP than any of the mish-mash stuff I had tried. There's no real phonics, kids are expected to start Book 1 in Year 3, and have already finished phonics instruction. There's a little bit of spelling, which might be fine for some kids, but for DD, spelling is a weak spot, so we supplement with Apples & Pears. I love how it's open and go, too.

Logic of English covers all of the LA material you mentioned and is formatted in an easy to use workbook style.

Each lesson has anywhere from 5-10+ activities to complete in the workbook.

It is open and go but you have to sit with the children and instruct them....

There is a cursive handwriting workbook you can order as well (it is totally separate and we love it!)

We use LOE here but mostly for the reading/phonics/spelling aspect of each lesson.

We are using WWE & FLL to build a solid foundation in grammar.

We have only used a few of the grammar lessons in LOE so far...not because they aren't good but because I prefer the approach of WWE & FLL...it builds and reinforces at better (slower) pace for us.