Menu

Anyone with kids on Fish Oil?

sherideane

As we go through our new Brain Training Integration Therapy Manual (for DS's Dysgraphia) I've become intrigued by the possibility of a fish oil blend being helpful for attention issues. Has anyone tried Dianne Craft's supplement - or any of the others out there, and if so, have you seen an improvement in your child's focusing abilities and/or behavior?

Thanks!

I have a daughter on her full vitamin program (fish oils, acidophilus, etc). She is still quite active, but has toned down quite a bit. At the beginning of the year, she could barely sit still to write two letters without squirming. I was wondering if she was just one of those children who will have a hard time learning anything and scaled back everything I had planned for the year. She can write a whole sentence now and I have hope that she will be able to learn. I call it being analog TV vs. HDTV. She is more analog and just easier overall to get along with.

Beth

Yes, my children take fish oil and I do notice an improvement with my DS's ADHD. Actually, what I notice is that when his ADHD is driving me crazy it has usually been a few days since I remembered to give it to him. I am not as consistent as I should be.

I love the pp's analogy of analog vs HDTV. That's how I feel about my son. It doesn't "fix" his ADHD, but it does seem to tone it down to a more tolerable and productive level.

My dd has taken fish oil since she was eighteen months old to help with brain development. When she started taking it, she could (barely) say two words. A month after we started, she was up to thirty words, and went on from there. She has a genetic disorder that messes up brain development and can cause autism, among other things, but at this point, she's reading, writing, and has absolutely no intellectual deficits whatsoever. There are a lot of factors that go into that, obviously, but I think the fish oil has played a huge part.

And we like Barlean's Omega Swirl. :)

We take it, not for any specific problems, but just general health. The kids (2 & 5) LOVE the Barleans Fish Oil Liquid Lemon Swirl. It tastes almost like liquid lemon candy. There is a regular and a Kids, but the are the same, just different dosage. We get it at Super Supplements in the Pacific Northwest, but if you go to their website (barleans.com), you can find other stores that sell it throughout the country.

We found Dianne Craft way late in the game for our homeschooling (DS was 16.5yo), but we had him take a fish oil at night and a 5-HTP in the morning, and between that and the writing 8s, and his own natural "late-blooming" brain maturing, he had a lot more ability to focus and concentrate. (5-HTP is NOT recommended for children, and no one who is taking an anti-depressant (of SSRI variety esp.) should take 5-HTP, as it can lead to a very dangerous seratonin overdose.)

I took fish oil and flaxseed oil while pregnant & nursing all 3 kids and all of them have taken fish oil since they were little. My 2nd has ADHD and my youngest has autism. I bumped up the dosage when the youngest was diagnosed, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. However, I figure it's good for their heart if nothing else.

I have my boys take Omega 3 and DHA, from Nordic Naturals....when we have it in our budget. They are pricey. DS9 who was always quite, well, hyper as a toddler, I mean, QUITE hyper, and then unable to focus as he got into school age, I saw quite a difference with him when we get him on the DHA and Omega 3. In the last few years, we've been on and off, just due to budget, but I was JUST recently thinking I needed to get some more as DS6 is having quite a bit of focus issues during school work and he's been my "quiet" one for the most part.

I just think they can never hurt, only help.

DD's integrative neurodevelopmental pediatrician normally recommends Carlson's for fish oil, but he was okay with DD continuing to take 2 Coromega packets/day. Coromega claims that its formulation has better bioavailability compared to regular capsules, but who knows if that's true or just hype.

My dd is taking fish oil and butter oil for a lone, tiny cavity. I have heard so many good reviews about the combo healing cavities I decided to give it try. I had forgotten that Omegas were good for ADD, etc. Now I am eager to see if this will help dd in this area also.

Do any of you here use fermented FLO? We used it briefly years ago for something or other, but that stuff is nasty and I don't want flavor for fear of it being an excito-toxin. The capsules are more expensive. If you have tried both fermented and unfermented did you find a difference in the results you were seeking?