Menu

Help with giving an AKC name to our puppy

poiema

We brought home a Cavalier King Charles a few months ago and I still have not sent in his AKC papers because I can't settle on a name. We named him Charley Brown, but we call him Charley or Charley Bear. His official name has to start with Fireflyz and can only be 36 characters. Suggestions please!

I know this probably seems pretentious and silly and I am totally embarrassed to ask, but AKC names are suppose to be unique.

I've never registered our AKC dogs, either, including our current Shih Tzu who has a very impressive pedigree. I had him neutered (like all our other pets), so I didn't see the point in paying the registration fee. Plus . . . I'm just not very good at creative names, so it seemed like more work than it was worth in terms of brain power and money!

Is there some reason you don't want to call him Fireflyz' Charley Brown? Have you checked to see if that name has been used already? The AKC does put a limit on how many times a name can be used, so it may not even be an option, but I think it's a fine AKC name.

My Dd shows her dog and she named him (kennel name) Miles Standish. I wanted her to name him Miles To Go, but she would have none of that.

BTW, for those who don't know, kids can show a neutered dog in Jr Showmanship. You just can't show in the breed ring. Our guy is neutered and Dd is doing very well with him.

And mixed breeds can compete in performance events like obedience and agility! Working with your dog(s) is incredibly rewarding! It's not just about "pretension" and "show dogs."

The name must begin with "Fireflyz" because that's the breeder's kennel name. Many (most) breeders require that their kennel prefix be included in the registered name.

Fireflys He's a Good Man ?

And mixed breeds can compete in performance events like obedience and agility! Working with your dog(s) is incredibly rewarding! It's not just about "pretension" and "show dogs."

I was going to say this too, but I was thinking that an AKC name isn't all that important in performance events, but I suppose the kennel might like to have recognition if a dog does well in those events too. We have one with an AKC name and one without. The one without is still registered with the AKC PAL (purebred alternative listing), but we just kept his plain old around the house name.

The name must begin with "Fireflyz" because that's the breeder's kennel name. Many (most) breeders require that their kennel prefix be included in the registered name.

Fireflys He's a Good Man ?

I love, love love, the name! Look no further. (Not that I'm the final authority.)

Fireflyz In Your Pocket

Fireflyz In The Kitchen

Fireflyz Kings Ransom

--

We have registered our German Shepherds even though they have been 'altered'...Even altered dogs can earn titles and training goals (Good Citizenship...) Our Kennel appreciates it when we link a title earned to the AKC /kennel name.

Our puppy is " WSKs Charles Tucker The Third " with a call name of " Trip " (he is 120+ pounds and we trip over him ALL THE TIME!-- we also 'Trip out' and can be found 'Trip in' quite a bit...

Yes, breeders are very pleased when titles are earned by dogs with their kennel name prefix. It shows that their lines have working ability-- brains and good looks, in other words. The registered name is never used around the house; dogs have "call names." Sometimes they have something to do with the registered name, and sometimes they don't. Below I have our current dogs' names, and their call names come after. For the first two, their call names are just shortened versions of their registered names. For Schoodie, Acadia National Park is one of our favorite places, and "Schoodic Point" is a location we love in the park.

astrid and:

VLX U-GCH, GCH Seelowen Danika, CD, DD, RN, TT, CGC, TDI (Dani)

CH Seelowen Kayak Calm Waters, CGC (Ky)

GCH Wanderweg's Heart of Acadia, CD, RN (Schoodic)

Curlingstone's General Tso, CGC (Yoshi)

And a host of others at The Bridge, including my heart dog: VLA CH Yuma Lion de la Toison d'Or, CD, DD, TT, CGC, TDI (Yuma)

I like Fireflyz He's a Good Man. I will have to talk with DH. He had the idea of Fireflyz Good Grief Charley Brown or Good Grief Charles. What do you think of those names?

For those who know, is it more common for dogs to have fun names or fancy names like Sir Charles Poppycock the Great? (I have no intention of using that name, BTW, just for example)

I like Fireflyz He's a Good Man. I will have to talk with DH. He had the idea of Fireflyz Good Grief Charley Brown or Good Grief Charles. What do you think of those names?

For those who know, is it more common for dogs to have fun names or fancy names like Sir Charles Poppycock the Great? (I have no intention of using that name, BTW, just for example)

Depends......but I read through show catalogs every single weekend and I can tell you I see more fun, catchy names than Sir Charles Poppycock The Great type names. In my own experience, we pick names before we bring the puppy home, because our breeder files the paperwork. We often do geographical names (Schoodic, Yuma, etc.) or something that has some meaning to us or the breeder. Kayak was a "K" litter, so his name had to begin with a K. Our breeder's husband builds inlaid wood sea kayaks that are displayed in maritime museums all over the world, and he builds them lovingly by hand, so we used "Kayak Calm Waters" for his registered name to pay homage to Jurgen, the breeder's husband.

Some breeders have "theme" litters-- songs, geography, etc. My dd is a huge Beatles fan and has tons of "Beatles" puppy names picked out for our kennel prefix, which is "Curlingstone." Curlingstone's Strawberry Fields, Curlingstone's Eleanor Rigby, Curlingstones Lucy in the Sky, Curlingstone's Words of Wisdom (Let it Be) etc.

I like Fireflyz He's a Good Man better than "Fireflyz Good Grief Charlie Brown" because the former draws the connection without making it seem "trademarked." I don't know... I'm picky about names, and I love to play the Name Game with puppies and litters.

astrid

I never realized that the AKC was so picky about names. Why does it have to start with Fireflyz?

Thet AKC could care less, as long as the name you want isn't taken and you remember to put the check in the envelope! ;-)

The breeder often files the paperwork, but if it's left to the buyer to do it, they often stipulate that you use the kennel prefix.

astrid

Depends......but I read through show catalogs every single weekend and I can tell you I see more fun, catchy names than Sir Charles Poppycock The Great type names. In my own experience, we pick names before we bring the puppy home, because our breeder files the paperwork. We often do geographical names (Schoodic, Yuma, etc.) or something that has some meaning to us or the breeder. Kayak was a "K" litter, so his name had to begin with a K. Our breeder's husband builds inlaid wood sea kayaks that are displayed in maritime museums all over the world, and he builds them lovingly by hand, so we used "Kayak Calm Waters" for his registered name to pay homage to Jurgen, the breeder's husband.

Some breeders have "theme" litters-- songs, geography, etc. My dd is a huge Beatles fan and has tons of "Beatles" puppy names picked out for our kennel prefix, which is "Curlingstone." Curlingstone's Strawberry Fields, Curlingstone's Eleanor Rigby, Curlingstones Lucy in the Sky, Curlingstone's Words of Wisdom (Let it Be) etc.

I like Fireflyz He's a Good Man better than "Fireflyz Good Grief Charlie Brown" because the former draws the connection without making it seem "trademarked." I don't know... I'm picky about names, and I love to play the Name Game with puppies and litters.

astrid

Thanks, that is helpful.And I love the Beetles names!

Thanks, that is helpful.And I love the Beetles names!

You're very welcome. I forgot to add that for what it's worth, those of us in the purebred dog world tend to really remark on and appreciate a great name. The Name Game is a favorite pastime of dog folks, and it's wonderful that you're putting thought into it. Charlie's a lucky boy!

(And now where are the pictures?! Few things are cuter than a Cav!) :-)

astrid

You're very welcome. I forgot to add that for what it's worth, those of us in the purebred dog world tend to really remark on and appreciate a great name. The Name Game is a favorite pastime of dog folks, and it's wonderful that you're putting thought into it. Charlie's a lucky boy!

(And now where are the pictures?! Few things are cuter than a Cav!) :-)

astrid

I know, right! :001_wub: I am so ridiculously smitten.

I just tried to upload a picture but it said the file was too big. I will see if DH can help me out when he gets home.

There aren't enough words for how much I love this.

And now I can't stop trying for more:

Fireflyz I Got a Rock

Fireflyz Roundheaded Kid

Fireflyz Tens and Twenties

Fireflyz Pantophobia

Fireflyz Toast and Popcorn

SEE?! Isn't it fun? WAAAAY more fun than naming babies, if you ask me! Fewer "is this weird?" paramaters!!

LOVE "Roundheaded Kid" because it's actually a breed characteristic (and a somewhat controversial one, actually!) of Cavs. VERY appropriate for the breed.

Fireflyz Grab the Antiseptic (LOL! naw, just kidding!)

Fireflyz Security Blanket (but then his call name would have to be "Linus.")

Fireflyz In Love With Lucy

Fireflyz Cute Redheaded Girl

Fireflyz Woodstock's Companion

Fireflyz Finally Kicked the Football (there's your alliteration, OP!)

Fireflyz The Great Pumpkin

I think I still like, "Fireflyz He's A Good Man"

SEE?! Isn't it fun? WAAAAY more fun than naming babies, if you ask me! Fewer "is this weird?" paramaters!!

LOVE "Roundheaded Kid" because it's actually a breed characteristic (and a somewhat controversial one, actually!) of Cavs. VERY appropriate for the breed.

Fireflyz Grab the Antiseptic (LOL! naw, just kidding!)

Fireflyz Security Blanket (but then his call name would have to be "Linus.")

Fireflyz In Love With Lucy

Fireflyz Cute Redheaded Girl

Fireflyz Woodstock's Companion

Fireflyz Finally Kicked the Football (there's your alliteration, OP!)

Fireflyz The Great Pumpkin

I think I still like, "Fireflyz He's A Good Man"

Oh, you are giving me so many ideas for my next Cav. I was already planning to get a Tri and name her Lucy. But now I want a Black and Tan so I can use that Linus name, and I love Cute Red Headed Girl for a Ruby!!

Oh, you are giving me so many ideas for my next Cav. I was already planning to get a Tri and name her Lucy. But now I want a Black and Tan so I can use that Linus name, and I love Cute Red Headed Girl for a Ruby!!

LOL! It's an ADDICTION! But see how much fun it is to play the puppy name game? Like I said, WAAAY more fun than baby-naming! :-)

I've always wanted to use the name "Linus." LOVE the whole imagery. And when I typed out "Cute Redheaded Girl" I was specifically thinking of a Ruby Cav. SO cute!

astrid

OMG I am dying of cuteness! '

I'm hugely devoted to my breed, but there is nearly NOTHING as cute as a Cav puppy. Seriously. If I lived with him I would do nothing but stroke that soft head. He's just darling!!!! And he looks like a "Good Man, Charlie Brown!"

Hugs,

astrid

Seriously! It's a wonder I get anything else done. He is such a love bug.

Ok, so now are you suggesting "Good Man, Charley Brown" or still "He's a Good Man"?

Either is adorable, but I still like "He's a Good Man."

But I would call him "Charlie Pookins Love Sponge Sweet Boy Come Snuggle With Me." Too long, you think?

astrid

Yay, I finally got a picture up! He is passed his fluffy pup and gawky teen stages and is now settling into his grumpy old man face.

post-70130-0-24385800-1354735485_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist including a picture of him during his fluffy puppy stage. Who doesn't love puppies?

post-70130-0-26093700-1354736059_thumb.jpg

That's a VERY cute puppy! Is he as calm as he looks?