Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

Parts of it. There's only so much "your mother wears Army boots" that I can take at one time. ;)

I read books from many different faith traditions and philosophies, both so that I can understand where other people are coming from, and to get insights into my own. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, especially on a classical education board.

Maybe I should change my avatar to Daffy Duck or something? I'm not here foaming at the mouth, thumping Bibles, or falling over in a swoon. Actually, I think this whole discussion is kind of funny. :) I know the book is widely read and discussed by members of Orthodox message boards and blogs, and the world hasn't come to a screeching halt over it yet. I'm just kind of astonished that you don't see how a Catholic would find it inappropriate to recommend it on a Catholic thread.

Yes, I have many books from a variety of faiths. However, I don't take offense when any of them disagree or even point out their views on my faith. That is their point of view. Should it just never be spoken to? btw, I'm pretty sure I have seen Catholic writings about the Eastern Orthodox. I would be shocked if there wasn't...but it's neither here nor there to me.

As to the book, it is fairly new and not all of us have had an opportunity to acquire and read it yet...so it's very new to many of us still. In my case, I've refrained from purchasing it because of finances, but I'm in a position that my husband and I decided to purchase it to help with educating our children and due to our current situation.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and she agrees that Catholics (but only a few) can be Christians, but once they are they really aren't "Catholic in their hearts" anymore. I asked her what they had to give up or what is it that makes them "not Catholic in their hearts".

I've run into this attitude MANY times!!! Protestants who thought "at least she's saved because she prayed the sinners' prayer even if she is choosing for some unknown reason to waste her life in the Catholic Church."

Understood. :grouphug:

I always look forward to reading your posts, and do appreciate your intentions. And I really do find this whole misunderstanding more amusing than anything, and not something that would affect my personal feelings about you. (Perhaps this is due to my "excessive Western intellectualism." It can come in handy at times. :laugh: )

It just seems like 9times out of 10 you post to amuse yourself and cause trouble. People flood my PM box wanting my to moderate.. Which I could do when we had the groups. My go to is to try to diffuse the situation, but often time feelings are already hurt. I would urge you to think about what you are posting. Often it is controversial and hard line.

Yes, I have many books from a variety of faiths. However, I don't take offense when any of them disagree or even point out their views on my faith. That is their point of view. Should it just never be spoken to?

Yes, I think it should, in the right context. I'm just not sure what that context is. Present-day Catholics are instructed by our Church to be very ecumenically minded toward our Orthodox brothers and sisters, to the point where we tend to avoid talking about the very real (though, we believe, not insurmountable) disagreements and divisions between us.

Meanwhile, some Orthodox, including a subset of American former Protestants (not saying you!! and thank you for clarifying!!) are very deliberately and directly attacking aspects of our faith in various media -- and if anything, this seems to be increasing. It's a bit baffling for Catholics to know what to do about this, to say the least.

I have to get back to the little folks now, so will just say that a few Catholic authors who've addressed some of these claims are Aidan Nichols, O.P., Dave Armstrong, and James Likoudis.

That reminds me... I came on here today in the first place because I wanted to share that I'm reading Taylor Marshall's new book, The Eternal City: Rome & the Origins of Catholicism. Among other things, he draws out connections between the development of the early Church and the prophecies in the Book of Daniel. Very interesting stuff.

I missed all the fun, and I still got dragged into it anyhow. Just wow.

So ...

Did anyone else ever get Pope Benedict XVI's book Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives? Powerful stuff. I used the section on Epiphany in RCIA this week. I love this book!

So ...

Did anyone else ever get Pope Benedict XVI's book Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives? Powerful stuff. I used the section on Epiphany in RCIA this week. I love this book!

Not yet. I have it on my wish list. I should have stuck with recommendations from here instead of reading amazon reviews. I'll order it this week, and read it.

FWIW re: I finally saw the reference to the other thing you mentioned. Yeah, weird.

DH got it for Christmas -- a not-entirely-selfless gift from me. :) I was thinking I'd wait to look at it until we're back on track from holiday distractions and illnesses. (The Taylor Marshall book is a bit lighter, I think.) But if it's that good, maybe I should take a peek.

So ...

I did and I'm going to be reading it this weekend. I just finished Forming Intentional Disciples, which I liked overall and plan on passing onto our parish sister so I have someone to talk with about it. But now I'm looking I forward to Pope Benedict's book. :)

By the way, conversation topic, especially for reverts or converts. The Forming Intentional Disciples book brought up some of the problems I found following the ending of RCIA. It was a very intense experience in that there were many emotions and great spiritual growth, at least for some of us in our class. But I can understand why the turnover rate is so high. When the spring ended and we were "graduated", I really did feel like I was left to tread water in the great ocean of Catholicism by myself. Our RCIA is only a school year long and does not stay together over the summer. But I can see a need to keep some contact or mentorship going. I plan on speaking with our parish sister to see if there is some way of supporing the new converts or reverts to help them continue on their path without them feeling abandoned. But personally I'm not sure what that would look like. I do know, though that there is something in the Evangelical church that works ... The idea of small groups. Our old church was very focused on getting people in small groups where you could be more comfortable and open with others, support each other, and grow spiritually. I'm thinking maybe some model of that which incorporates new RCIA graduates would be good.

DH got it for Christmas -- a not-entirely-selfless gift from me. :) I was thinking I'd wait to look at it until we're back on track from holiday distractions and illnesses. (The Taylor Marshall book is a bit lighter, I think.) But if it's that good, maybe I should take a peek.

I would recommend taking a peek. I have only read the first chapter before I it it down to finish the Disciples book, but I've ready read many portions of the first chapter aloud to dh. Thankfully he is more than willing to listen and discuss. :)

But I can understand why the turnover rate is so high. When the spring ended and we were "graduated", I really did feel like I was left to tread water in the great ocean of Catholicism by myself. Our RCIA is only a school year long and does not stay together over the summer. But I can see a need to keep some contact or mentorship going.

This was what it was like for my when I went through RCIA.

My parish's RCIA program is year-round and offers Mystagogy, which is the "follow-up" of sorts. Most parishes don't do Mystagogy, but it is supposed to be around to support new Catholics for thier first year and to help integrate them into parish life. I teach in RCIA, but we have lots of catechists, so I only teach once or twice a quarter. The rest of the time, my friend and I run our Mystagogy group.

This was what it was like for my when I went through RCIA.

My parish's RCIA program is year-round and offers Mystagogy, which is the "follow-up" of sorts. Most parishes don't do Mystagogy, but it is supposed to be around to support new Catholics for thier first year and to help integrate them into parish life. I teach in RCIA, but we have lots of catechists, so I only teach once or twice a quarter. The rest of the time, my friend and I run our Mystagogy group.

Our parish uses the weeks following the Vigil for Mystagogy. But then all religious ed takes a break by the end of May.

MLW- I'm sure it would be appreciated if you were willing to take the lead. Our priests and religious are so overburdened they can't fill all the needs they see. Talk to Sister or Father about your ideas. I'm sure they will be received enthusiastically.

Does each RC parish (or should each parish) have a Sister assigned to it? I don't know that any of the ones in my nearby larger town do, but I know the Newman Center in the college town south of me does, or used to, so I was curious.

We don't have a sister. But I'll see your sister and raise you two deacons. LOL!

I have no idea, but I know we are blessed with a sister (plus a novice who is her right-hand "man") and a permanent deacon. We are a pretty large parish but I know a rather large parish on the other side of town with only one father and no deacons (at least he didn't have any; I know he was hoping he was getting one so maybe they do now). It reminds me of dh's issues with teaching assistants: some teachers have tons and some, who need them, have none.

ETA: Darn autocorrect on the iPad!

The parish we've started attending has a Sister who is available only once a month. We want to start RCIA but they are very overburdened it seems. It will be at least six months before we can start. We will also be doing it as a family (which we like) because they just don't have the resources to do it separately for the kids.

Another quick question since my thinking we could join in on the hands up and holding flopped. What's a good resource for explaining making the sign of the cross? Is that even the correct term? Also, what's a good resource for learning a prayer or two for us to say at home? Thanks!

So...

The hubby has banned Mass until flu season has passed (it's seriously nasty around here and we have a medically fragile little one). Any ideas on how to make Sunday "special" for the kiddos? Mass was always the special part of the day (especially since going to the evening Mass, coming home to our traditional Sunday pasta meal, etc).

The parish we've started attending has a Sister who is available only once a month. We want to start RCIA but they are very overburdened it seems. It will be at least six months before we can start. We will also be doing it as a family (which we like) because they just don't have the resources to do it separately for the kids.

Another quick question since my thinking we could join in on the hands up and holding flopped. What's a good resource for explaining making the sign of the cross? Is that even the correct term? Also, what's a good resource for learning a prayer or two for us to say at home? Thanks!

There are so many books out there for prayers! Especially child specific ones! Our favs are the Catholic Prayer Book for Children (includes all the normal Catholic prayers) and Little Acts of Grace. If you're looking for something more "family friendly" (as in, for everyone), check out the St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism - all have the standard prayers in the front of the book (this book is only around $4).

But I can understand why the turnover rate is so high. When the spring ended and we were "graduated", I really did feel like I was left to tread water in the great ocean of Catholicism by myself.

For this sort of ongoing formation, every Catholic who seeks to grow in the faith is strongly encouraged to find a spiritual director, typically (but not always) a priest or religious. This is more emphasized in the Eastern churches, where they call this person their "spiritual father" or "spiritual mother." But it's meant to be a part of the Western Christian life as well.

So, even if the priest or DRE is very busy, don't feel selfish about asking if they know of someone who might be able to be your spiritual director. There's also some advice here. And of course, you can pray, pray, pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you to the right person, and vice versa.

Also, for a more social angle -- if you're interested in a particular charism (Dominican, Carmelite, etc.), or feel drawn toward a religious order in your community, Third Orders might also be something to look into. And then there are movements like the Legion of Mary and the Militia of the Immaculata. There's no guarantee that you'd click with any particular local group, as they're all a bit different in their emphasis -- and you might not be able to set aside the time anyway -- but just thought I'd put the idea out there for general consumption. :)

I've wanted a spiritual director for years. I prayed for years. Never got one. Asked a lay Dominican group for info online - all I ever got from them was a form letter asking for donations. A lady in my parish just did some kind of spiritual counseling training, except she's the rcia person who doesn't actually believe much of what the church teaches. So, yeah, no spiritual director here.

We need to move!

I do know, though that there is something in the Evangelical church that works ... The idea of small groups. Our old church was very focused on getting people in small groups where you could be more comfortable and open with others, support each other, and grow spiritually. I'm thinking maybe some model of that which incorporates new RCIA graduates would be good.

Our parish has bible studies every year. Why Catholic was last year, this year I think it's through (?) Using?) Father Mitch Pacwa's bible study.

If you have a kindle, all of the Baltimore Catechisms are free through Amazon. And here's a link to EWTNs devotions page.

So...

The hubby has banned Mass until flu season has passed (it's seriously nasty around here and we have a medically fragile little one). Any ideas on how to make Sunday "special" for the kiddos? Mass was always the special part of the day (especially since going to the evening Mass, coming home to our traditional Sunday pasta meal, etc).

Light a cande and say a rosary together? Read the scriptures for the mass?

Our parish has bible studies every year. Why Catholic was last year, this year I think it's through (?) Using?) Father Mitch Pacwa's bible study.

On that end, I do have to say our parish does a good job during the school year. Our sister offers one Bible study three times a week, and another couple offers a different one once a week. Basically there are two evening and two early morning options. I attend the none offered by our parish sister and love it. I need that kind of interaction and am very thankful. But I also now my Protestant background helped me be able to jump right into it (we are using Catholic Scripture Study and this year is the Pentateuch). I think that we need something in between RCIA and a full blown Scripture study, something that still focuses on growing one's prayer and devotional life (which I could still use too) as well as how to begin to incorporate the Church into your home and daily life. I plan on talking to our sister but I don't want to be the mice in "Belling the Cat". :lol: I have no idea where to fit in running a program of that nature though I would probably be able to find time to be involved in helping with it.

Topic: Catholic Bibles. Needless to say, we seem to 'collect' Bibles. Dh likes to buy sturdy inexpensive (halfprice books) ones because he writes profusely in them. We have the usual, KVJ, NKJV, NIV, Good News Bible, a Holman NT, and a KJV w/Matthew Henry commentary,it was ds' and he gave it back :(

We also have a 1950 Douay-Challoner OT/Confraternity NT & Psalms by The Catholic Press. I found it at an estate sale and fell in love with it...Tissot paintings throughout. It has been easy to read. I saw on Baronius Press that there is a 'Knox' Bible. Can anyone compare? I love that they have an old 1962 Missal you can buy (Latin/English), too.

Topic: Catholic Bibles. Needless to say, we seem to 'collect' Bibles. Dh likes to buy sturdy inexpensive (halfprice books) ones because he writes profusely in them. We have the usual, KVJ, NKJV, NIV, Good News Bible, a Holman NT, and a KJV w/Matthew Henry commentary,it was ds' and he gave it back :(

We also have a 1950 Douay-Challoner OT/Confraternity NT & Psalms by The Catholic Press. I found it at an estate sale and fell in love with it...Tissot paintings throughout. It has been easy to read. I saw on Baronius Press that there is a 'Knox' Bible. Can anyone compare? I love that they have an old 1962 Missal you can buy (Latin/English), too.

We tend to collect them too, at least I do. ;) My favorite Catholic Bible is my Catholic Study Bible in leather. Not exactly inexpensive, but really, really nice. There are so many notes, plus reader guides for all the books. I also really like my Ignatius Study Bible: New Testament. Again, fantastic notes and background information. And, with the two, I have the NAB Revised Edition and the RSV to use for comparison, at least for the NT.

Love the Lord with all my mind, all my heart/soul, all my strength (head, chest/body, shoulders) (in my case, I always touch my cross after...so all my head, all my heart, all my strength, all my soul)

This is my understanding. I'm all ears to hear what others say.

Ok, so I've found some prayer books. Thanks.

Does anyone have a good rec. for explaining the sign of the Cross?

Thanks!

If you go to fisheaters.com then click on "being Catholics" there is a link to her info on the sign of the cross on the left side of the page under "devotions and Prayers"

HTH

A word of caution about the fisheaters website.

The person who runs it has an anti-NO mass slant. You have to take what she says about the NO with a grain of salt. For the most part her info is spot on and very handy. I'm using a lot of her stuff for my teen confirmation class.

I'm of the mind that the Latin mass is wonderful, but it simply is not available to everyone. The Latin mass is now the extraordinary form of the mass, while the NO is the norm.

Question for you good Catholic ladies:)

I was baptized as an infant, received first holy communion as a child, and then my parents just... stopped (they were holiday catholics). As an adult, I went to Mass on my own, but missed several years between the ages of 9 until 18. I just realized, in getting my dd ready for confirmation, that I'm not confirmed. I can't believe that I only just thought about it.

Is there a way to do this WITHOUT going through the entire RCIA class?

A word of caution about the fisheaters website.

The person who runs it has an anti-NO mass slant. You have to take what she says about the NO with a grain of salt. For the most part her info is spot on and very handy. I'm using a lot of her stuff for my teen confirmation class.

I'm of the mind that the Latin mass is wonderful, but it simply is not available to everyone. The Latin mass is now the extraordinary form of the mass, while the NO is the norm.

I would strongly suggest staying off the fisheaters forums. The main site isn't too bad, that Chucki was pointing to, but the forums have some posters who say things about the NO Mass that are downright offensive to Our Lord. Also, many, if not most of their posters, outright reject the teachings of Vatican II. They routinely abuse Blessed Pope John Paul the II. (And I support a more widespread use of the TLM!)

I was baptized as an infant, received first holy communion as a child, and then my parents just... stopped (they were holiday catholics). As an adult, I went to Mass on my own, but missed several years between the ages of 9 until 18. I just realized, in getting my dd ready for confirmation, that I'm not confirmed. I can't believe that I only just thought about it.

I would talk with your pastor or religious education director. It will probably vary from parish to parish how they handle it. Some parishes have seperate preparation classes for those who are onlypreparing for confirmation.

I would strongly suggest staying off the fisheaters forums. The main site isn't too bad, that Chucki was pointing to, but the forums have some posters who say things about the NO Mass that are downright offensive to Our Lord. Also, many, if not most of their posters, outright reject the teachings of Vatican II. They routinely abuse Blessed Pope John Paul the II. (And I support a more widespread use of the TLM!)

I had no idea there were forum. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes. Speak with your parish priest. Many parishes have a confirmation program for adults that is separate from the RCIA program.

Just agreeing with what was already said. Talk with your priest. I know our parish (I think it is diocese wide) has a separate and much shorter course for those just needing confirmation.

Curiosity is going to send me over there one day. In the mean time I wonder how many Hail Marys it wil take to keep me away.

Well, whatever you do stay off the "SSPX vs. Diocesan vs. Norvus Ordo Discussion" sub-forum! It is like watching a train wreck; you want to look away but you just can't.

I would strongly suggest staying off the fisheaters forums. (...)

I've never posted there myself (and very rarely read it, mostly when it comes up in a search), and wouldn't recommend it to those who are relatively new to the faith, don't have much confidence, or are just plain not interested. But I wanted to mention that if any hardy and experienced folks are willing to give it a go, they might be doing a service to the Church in jumping in. If you look more closely, many of the members seem quite moderate, and more importantly so does the board owner. She posted an impassioned plea recently, saying that she herself can't stand some of the discussion that goes on there, and basically telling the paranoid and other unsavory types to to get lost. It remains to be seen whether or not this will prevail.

This is the trouble with Internet discussion boards. You don't know if what you're getting is representative of Catholicism as a whole (or even representative of a particular subgroup as a whole), or just the local "culture" of that particular board. Some of them, for various reasons, end up culturing some pretty strange stuff, and seem to be in need of strong antibiotics -- or maybe bleach.

I can't remember if anyone has mentioned it in this thread, but Steve Ray's DCF board is the best I've found. Through God's grace, and the efforts of well-informed members, they've been able to welcome people with diverse points of view while still keeping things very faithful to Church teaching. It's a great resource for potential converts and reverts, and anyone else who's seeking an active online Catholic community.

Rafe's funeral was on Saturday. He and two siblings and three other friends formed a Celtic band a few years ago, and played together for about three years before they drifted apart, went away to college, etc. My dd and I and one of the former band members did the music for the funeral. Much of it was Celtic, such as the St. Patrick's Breastplate prayer sung to the tune of Arran Boat Song. After the closing hymn while people were still leaving church, we played Finnish Polka, another tune their band used to perform.

The family is very sad, of course, but Rafe's dad said they have a peace that he attributes to so many people praying for them. Thank you all for your prayers!

I'll be hanging out here a bit more often now.

Thanks for telling us about the funeral, PrairieSong. It's obvious from your posts that this young man gave many great memories to his friends and loved ones. So sad that he had to leave so soon, but I'm glad the family can find peace with their sorrow.

I'm looking for some fiction books to recommend to my 15 yr old dd. I remember reading In This House of Brede and Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy when I was around 18-20 and falling in love with my Catholic faith. Something soul stirring but age appropriate. She's also being confirmed this year and is so very excited to be receiving the Sacrament. Any ideas?

Thanks.