Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

I was chrismated as a child, but I've always placed myself under the patronage of the Theotokos. At different times in my life I've felt the special intercession of St. Catherine of Alexandria, St. Mary of Egypt and St. Catherine of Sienna.

DH chose St. Thomas the Doubter as his confirmation saint.

At the moment Ladybug is under the protection of Our Lady of Wisdom and Itsy under St. Mary Magdalene. I look forward to seeing who they pick when they're older.

St. Anselm is the patron saint of our marriage

I LOVE those ideas!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's the same as in the EO, then you can go by several things: your name (first or middle), certain attributes or life experiences, someone that you like or can relate to, or one chosen by a godparent or priest.

You can also see who's commemorated on the day you were born. My patron saint is St. Juliana of Lazarevo, a Russian homemaker from the 16th century (she also had seven children). Are we discussing this on the EO thread? I better head over there! :D Just popped on ....

I wish we really had our group back. I'm going to spin off from a post on the EO thread.

Who is your patron? Or who did you chose as your saint at Confirmation?

I picked St. Bridget of Ireland

Dh has St. Florian

Dd's St. Mary Magdalene

I picked St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, though I think God picked her for me. In the weeks leading up to the Easter Vigil, her name kept popping into my head at random times. So, I decided she must be my patron. :)

The older two boys will be confirmed at their FHC in the spring of '14, God willing. Ds11 says, at least at this point in time, that he will either take St. Benedict or St. Francis. I think he's leaning towards St. Benedict. Ds9 really seems drawn to St. Michael, but I'm not sure if that is who he will eventually take or not.

When we were chrismated, I made sure we all took the names of preschism saints, so we have St. Kassiani the hymnographer, St. Thekla the protomartyr, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Agapios, St. Benedict, St. Helen of the true Cross, and Righteous Gideon the prophet. :)

Lovely little story about a Patron saint in action...My daughter Lucy's patron is, rather obviously, St. Lucy. She was born in September and began having different health problems. At 11 weeks she was diagnosised with massive hydrocephalus and was scheduled to have brain surgery asap. The first opening for her neurosurgeon - the feast of St. Lucy! Also, St. Lucy is the patron of eye patients, and it was my daughter's eye problems that led to an early diagnosis. It is very comforting knowing that such a beautiful saint is actively interceding for my daughter.

I already mentioned that my confirmation saint is the Blessed Mother. Dh's is St. George and the kids' saints are St. Catherine of Siena, St. John Bosco, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Cecilia, St. Eulalia, and...one more but I am drawing a blank! Youngest ds has not been confirmed yet.

I had never heard of St. Eulalia until dd chose her. Our bishop knew of her and said he suggests the name when a family has a new baby girl, but so far no one has chosen it.

Love the idea of a patron saint for your marriage, family, homeschool, etc.

How does one go about picking a Confirmation Saint or Patron Saint? There are so many wonderful saints.

If it's the same as in the EO, then you can go by several things: your name (first or middle), certain attributes or life experiences, someone that you like or can relate to, or one chosen by a godparent or priest.

The process is pretty much the same. Which is what makes it so difficult.

E - you could pick St. Elizabeth (St. John' mom), check and see who's saint day you were born on. Was there a significant experience you had on a certain day? Perhaps the saint of that day. When you know your confirmation date maybe the saint of that day. Also look at the date of your baptism.

You share a first name with a saint.

A mom at our parish was scheduled to have a hysterectomy. An ultrasound revealed a large mass on her uterus. I don't think that was the reason for the surgery, but something they discovered while doing the routine tests beforehand, as I understand it. She was anointed by our priest and they (also several parish members) laid hands on her and prayed for her healing.

When they did the hysterectomy, the surgeon could not find the large mass and had no explanation for it. No earthly, scientific explanation for it anyway.

God is good.

Hey folks, if I could ask for prayers again. My cousin unexpectedly got sick and slipped into a coma. She is not expected to make it. Mom is still hanging on.... I am possibly facing two funerals during this Christmas season. And, I simply don't know how to comfort anyone at this point. I feel like a balloon with all its air let out.

The process is pretty much the same. Which is what makes it so difficult.

E - you could pick St. Elizabeth (St. John' mom), check and see who's saint day you were born on. Was there a significant experience you had on a certain day? Perhaps the saint of that day. When you know your confirmation date maybe the saint of that day. Also look at the date of your baptism.

You share a first name with a saint.

I had read about my first name saint. There isn't much known about her though, just like with Elizabeth (John's mom). But, Elizabeth's son did go on to foretell the coming of Christ and baptize him, and she must have been special to be chosen as her son's mother.

I was considering Elizabeth of Hungary, as she is the patron saint of young brides.

I'll look at important dates too.

I am also praying that God will make known to me my patron saint. I am pretty thick-headed, though.

Hey folks, if I could ask for prayers again. My cousin unexpectedly got sick and slipped into a coma. She is not expected to make it. Mom is still hanging on.... I am possibly facing two funerals during this Christmas season. And, I simply don't know how to comfort anyone at this point. I feel like a balloon with all its air let out.

I'm so sorry.

Praying for you, Nono, and for your cousin and mom! :grouphug:

I am so sorry. Praying for you.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I'm so sorry Nono. Prayers for you all. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thanks everyone. My cousin died earlier tonight. It is terribly painful to have one relative alive who wants to be dead, and one now gone who wanted to live.

Nono, I'm so very sorry. What a loss. May your cousin's memory be eternal.

Phone conversation this morning:

Him: May I speak with MyLittleWonders?

Me: What is this regarding?

Him: This is Planned Parenthood ...

Me: I don't support PP; would you please take me off your calling list.

Him: You don't support PP?

Me: No, I'm Catholic and don't support PP.

Him: I'm Catholic too. That's interesting.

Me: That is interesting. Can you please take me off your calling like.

Him: No problem. Have a nice day.

Me: (thinking) What in the world?

Hmmm ...

I am reading this amazing book that really could use a better title...I mean, yes, that's what it's about, but it's so much more and once you start reading it the title is a bit underwhelming in comparison to the book.

Forming Intentional Disciples, by Sherry Weddell.

I was reading about it on the comments of Fr Longnecker's blog and then just decided to give it a read. Wow. It's about the catechism problem we have. I bought it because I have these little crack addled marmosets in 8th grade CCD (I call them crack addled marmosets with utmost affection) and me, not knowing the history of what has gone on for catechism on this side of the Tiber, I needed to find the pulse of what I was dealing with. It is JUST what I need. Frankly, I think it should be required reading for every Bishop, Priest and Catechist. It discusses the 'saved' aspect, though not in those terms, vocations, charisms, and the sacraments.

Anyway, if you are a catechist or teaching at your Parish, this is the book for you. I'm going to pass mine onto my priest.

I just wanted to update and say I'm not quite half way through the book. I definitely will be reading it again and then I think I'll lend it to our parish sister; she has a collection of CDs of talks Sherry Weddell gave plus a book that goes along with them that I can borrow. :)

MyLittleWonders, that is strange. A mom at our parish posted on FB about her daughter's adoption day, praising Planned Parenthood for the adoption, and pointing out that "they do more than abortions". I'm HAPPY they adopted their daughter, but I was thinking, PP could have just as easily aborted her. Doing something good, like facilitating adoptions, does NOT negate the abortions they do. Lord have mercy.

Last night our RC friends had invited us to their parish Mass and dinner afterward. As usual the kids and moms linger at the table and the dads sit in the livingroom talking - they are co-workers. But dh said instead of talking theology or about shipment problems at work, his friend confessed that he had been praying a novena for three years so that the Lord would reveal the truth to dh. The friend said that it was in the same week that he started the novena (3yrs later) that dh told him we were no longer protestant and looking into the ancient faith. On the way home my dh asked me, "What is a novena". Things that he didnt want to hear about before he is eager to learn about now. Dh was raised by an anti-Catholic family. Its understandable, they were refugees from a war torn country who had to leave everything and were never able to go back. They felt abandoned by God, so they abandoned Him. I guess the devil uses that to discourage people: war and chaos. Refugees are in such a fragile state when they come to the US, if anything that is what should hold them together - their faith in God.

Last night our RC friends had invited us to their parish Mass and dinner afterward. As usual the kids and moms linger at the table and the dads sit in the livingroom talking - they are co-workers. But dh said instead of talking theology or about shipment problems at work, his friend confessed that he had been praying a novena for three years so that the Lord would reveal the truth to dh. The friend said that it was in the same week that he started the novena (3yrs later) that dh told him we were no longer protestant and looking into the ancient faith. On the way home my dh asked me, "What is a novena". Things that he didnt want to hear about before he is eager to learn about now. Dh was raised by an anti-Catholic family. Its understandable, they were refugees from a war torn country who had to leave everything and were never able to go back. They felt abandoned by God, so they abandoned Him. I guess the devil uses that to discourage people: war and chaos. Refugees are in such a fragile state when they come to the US, if anything that is what should hold them together - their faith in God.

Wow. Just, WOW, that is wild.

I just wanted to update and say I'm not quite half way through the book. I definitely will be reading it again and then I think I'll lend it to our parish sister; she has a collection of CDs of talks Sherry Weddell gave plus a book that goes along with them that I can borrow. :)

I passed mine on to our Priest. I've been looking to see if we can have the workshops at our Parish.

Forming Intentional Disciples is the book I'm planning to read after Christmas. I just can't focus right now. But I started it before Thanksgiving and got sidetracked and I really want to read it again and finish it. I would love to discuss the ideas in it with others.

I read Forming Intentional Disciples and the author, Sherry Wendell, actually came to our parish and did a day long workshop on the book. I think it is an excellent book and sheds light on the basic needs in the Catholic Church in America in way I haven't seen elsewhere. She is the first to point out in such a powerful way that it is not just a catechesis problem - though we have that, too- but fundamentally an evangelization problem first and foremost.

I have a family I've been praying for. Perhaps I'll try a perpetual novena.

I read Forming Intentional Disciples and the author, Sherry Wendell, actually came to our parish and did a day long workshop on the book. I think it is an excellent book and sheds light on the basic needs in the Catholic Church in America in way I haven't seen elsewhere. She is the first to point out in such a powerful way that it is not just a catechesis problem - though we have that, too- but fundamentally an evangelization problem first and foremost.

If my friend doesn't get it for me for Christmas (she always gets me a Catholic book) I suppose I'll get a copy myself with all these recommendations.

I was just so happy for someone to have their finger on it and say THIS is the problem. This. Here. And i was blown away that as a revert, I had to go through the *same* process as a new Christian.

It has changed the way I focus my CCD, and now I know why my priest is so popular and why our church is bursting at the seams. But I wanted him to read it for the *catechists*.

Forming Intentional Disciples is the book I'm planning to read after Christmas. I just can't focus right now. But I started it before Thanksgiving and got sidetracked and I really want to read it again and finish it. I would love to discuss the ideas in it with others.

I would love to discuss it with others. Even though I think it is great, there are things I think about differently. Also, I am trying to figure out how to best serve my parish through the lens of the book, and I would love to discuss ideas!

Is there anything we should know about going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve? We plan on trying our local parish Sunday morning, but we all would also really like to go to the midnight mass.

I've been driving everyone crazy with all I've been reading, but the good thing is it has sparked some interesting discussion with older dd. I feel really good about where we're headed!