Menu

Gymnastics moms, come and talk to me!

Mommy22alyns

I know I'm not the only gymnastics mom here, so let's chat. Rebecca is a competitive gymnast, Level 4, just finishing up her first season. She's been in gymnastics since she was 3, but only went competitive in May. She's had a fantastic year. States are next weekend.

Sylvia is recreational. She dabbles. She's been taking since she was 4, but is, um... not as into it as Rebecca.

Tell me all about yours - how long have they been doing gymnastics, are they competitive, share pics and videos, whatever you like!

Now... we just got the schedule for states this afternoon. They've separated the girls into different groups based on their AA scores this season. Rebecca is the only girl in her level competing with her particular group. I thought she'd be together with the other 3 strongest girls on the team, but she's on her own. I don't know whether to be proud or sad for her that she's alone!

My son was Hawaii State Level 5 champ in 2010. He loved gymnastic and had the greatest coach. We moved to Alaska later that year and the boy's program is dismal. He actually said, "Mom, they don't make us work hard enough!" He decided to devote his attention to hickey and figure skating which he also loves. But, just the other day he said, "I miss gymnastics so much."

I'm not sure how to share video but I have a recap from his last year that might be fun motivation for other little boys.

Good Luck to Rebecca at her state meet!

Our twelve year old (almost thirteen) daughter is getting ready to compete her second year of L10. She was in a different age group from all of her teammates at our L10 state meet last year so she was the only one from our gym competing in her session. She was in a group with other girls in the same situation and it went fine. Actually it was an added bonus because most of those girls qualified to regionals with her so it was nice to have some familiar faces.

I know I'm not the only gymnastics mom here, so let's chat. Rebecca is a competitive gymnast, Level 4, just finishing up her first season. She's been in gymnastics since she was 3, but only went competitive in May. She's had a fantastic year. States are next weekend.

Sylvia is recreational. She dabbles. She's been taking since she was 4, but is, um... not as into it as Rebecca.

Tell me all about yours - how long have they been doing gymnastics, are they competitive, share pics and videos, whatever you like!

Now... we just got the schedule for states this afternoon. They've separated the girls into different groups based on their AA scores this season. Rebecca is the only girl in her level competing with her particular group. I thought she'd be together with the other 3 strongest girls on the team, but she's on her own. I don't know whether to be proud or sad for her that she's alone!

Are you sure they were divided by all-around scores? I thought most states divided girls into sessions by age, because that is what USA Gymnastics requires. I am in Georgia, which has oodles of level 4 gymnasts, and the age bands at level 4 are really, really small, like "a few months" small, so the girls are grouped only with girls who are very close to them in age. My daughter has been in sessions at state by herself and has always liked it--lots of attention!

Good luck to your daughter at state this weekend! My 15 yo level 10 just did a private lesson for a 7 year old level 4 who is getting ready for state. She helped her with her hand positions, chin flicking, holding that arabesque on beam, that sort of thing--little touches they are both hoping will put her over the top (and onto the podium).

Terri

Are you sure they were divided by all-around scores? I thought most states divided girls into sessions by age, because that is what USA Gymnastics requires. I am in Georgia, which has oodles of level 4 gymnasts, and the age bands at level 4 are really, really small, like "a few months" small, so the girls are grouped only with girls who are very close to them in age. My daughter has been in sessions at state by herself and has always liked it--lots of attention!

Good luck to your daughter at state this weekend! My 15 yo level 10 just did a private lesson for a 7 year old level 4 who is getting ready for state. She helped her with her hand positions, chin flicking, holding that arabesque on beam, that sort of thing--little touches they are both hoping will put her over the top (and onto the podium).

Terri

Yes, it was determined by AA scores, because the girl in L4 who is almost exactly Rebecca's age (literally, they both have March birthdays) is in an entirely different group. The 3 I thought she would be with, plus another girl, are split between 2 different age groups.

My son is in optionals this year, lvl 8. This will be his 4th year competing. He was state champion for lvls 4 and 5, but last year in lvl 6 came in 2nd to a fellow team member/friend. However, he came in 2nd place at Regionals for lvl 6 last year. We are getting psyched for our season to start in a couple of weeks. In January we will compete at the meet at FSU in Tallahassee and get to watch Danell Leyva compete in the evening. So excited to watch Callum's routines mature- yet a little nervous, too!

I don't have anything recent online, but my youtube channel has some lvl 5 routines on it. I'll post more this season. http://www.youtube.com/user/tcabomom/videos?view=0

Victoria started gymnastics in April. It seemed to take her a little bit to figure things out, gain flexibility, etc. She "played" gymnastics non-stop though. Anyway, so in September, she was invited to pre-team. Her skills seemed to skyrocket from there. The coaches are doing a great job challenging her.

A-man and Twinna did their second class yesterday. Twinna learned how to do a bridge (from standing) last weekend though. Crazy fast!

Tony and AJ have both done gymnastics. They may go back in a year or two. AJ would like to now; but at this point, we've asked each kid to pick one sport. The three younger boys are swimming.

I wish I was a gymnastics mom. My daughter lives for gymnastics. She trains constantly at home. But we could not afford to keep her in actual gymnastics. She did recently get her back handspring after working and working on it. . . Her goal in life is to be a gymnastics teacher. I'm hoping that in high school she can join a high school team and get back into it that way.

Good luck at state! That's really odd to break the girls out that way. I thought for sure they did it by age?

My daughter has been there since she was in diapers and we started both girls in the parent/tot class. Our youngest decided she wanted her own sport and split off into soccer (a relief, for sure) and our 8 year old stuck it out. This is her thing. She's been competing level 4 for almost two years and in the spring she is competing level 5. (Not sure why since the routines change for next fall, so she's learning the routines for only 2 meets. But I'm so glad to be done with that ridiculous song for floor. UGH)

Anyway, here's one of her recent floor routines, and please, ignore the screaming lunatic at the end:

Mine has taken off. It kind of surprised me how fast. They have taken to her because they have not had a very young girl in a while that looks promising I guess (so I have heard). And she is very mature for her age so she sort of pushed through quick. The other young girls seem to sort of goof off. She is joining the team soon in level 4. I can't handle it just yet but she is anxious for that.

I just ordered her a bar. Now I have to empty a room for it.

My daughter just quit gymnastics. It was a sad end to her level 5 season. She needed a 34.5 AA score to qualify for states and she got a 34.425. We are looking into what to do next with her but she has spent the month of Nov writing for NaNoWrMo and is in line to finish her 50,000 words today (we are letting her write all day and do her schoolwork this weekend). It feels good as a parent to be down to one competive gymnast. We now have Tuesday nights off. My son has his 1st meet for level 6 in mid-January. We are getting a bit nervous as he has a bit still to master like his back handspring back tuck on floor and his back uprise on rings. He has a big meet at Stanford in January so he is working hard to get as far as he can. It's a little scary right now as this is the new routines and they have tweaked the scoring. I think if he does all the bonuses and such the highest score he can get is a 12.2 . Much lower than last years max score of 16. They will be setting the state qualification scores in Jan. after the first few meets. We are hoping he goes to regionals again. Last year he bombed at it with his worst meet of the season. Its in Reno again so it's nice and close. Assuming he makes it to regionals he will start to train for level 8 in the spring.

Amber our experience with girls state is that they compete without teammates most of the time for state. In level 4 they just have so many girls that they have many many sessions. I wish her good luck.

I'm sure most of you know (as it's come up before), but my DD5yr is a gymnast. She's in "hot shots" right now....working toward team in the next year or so. They will be doing level 2/3 routines at some Xcel meets this spring just for fun and experience :) I'm very much looking forward to it!

I also coached for over 10yr, so I know my way around a gym pretty well.

And Lisa - I am INSANELY (that word isn't even strong enough, lol) jealous.....I want to buy a bar for DD so bad I can hardly stand it. I've had one on my watch list on ebay for a year now. I stare at it regularly trying to find a way to get it, lol. We already have a mat for under it (thank you to a fellow Hive member)....if I thought I'd get enough Christmas money to do it, I would spend every last dime to get her one. Sigh.

Mine has taken off. It kind of surprised me how fast. They have taken to her because they have not had a very young girl in a while that looks promising I guess (so I have heard). And she is very mature for her age so she sort of pushed through quick. The other young girls seem to sort of goof off. She is joining the team soon in level 4. I can't handle it just yet but she is anxious for that.

I just ordered her a bar. Now I have to empty a room for it.

Be sure the bar is securely anchored and be sure you lay out the safety rules ahead of time. I would also check with her coaches regarding what they feel it is safe/helpful for her to work on at home. I know at our daughter's gym they prefer that the kids not have gym equipment at home.