Menu

So much for my Good Citizen Badge

I was in Walmart this evening and witnessed a older man steal a jar of peanut butter. I reported it to an employee who informed me she would tell her supervisor. She walked away like she was about to do just that, and then took an about face and went back to what she was doing. :ohmy: Now I feel just this side of stupid for saying anything and question would I say anything in the future. What would you have done? Could the supervisor have done anything about?

Chances are, with the low dollar amount the jar of peanut butter costs, the supervisor or store security wouldn't have done anything. In the meantime, someone else could have been trying to leave with a basket full of unpaid merchandise, and the store would have taken a much larger financial hit, because they were distracted detaining someone over an item costing less than $10. (I used to work in retail, FTR. The policy is basically the same at most major stores.)

I would have reported it as well. I would have probably mentioned it to someone else as well when the other employee didn't do anything about it, then let it go. What the supervisor would have done is stopped the man, made sure he paid for it or put it back. And would have watched him to make sure he didn't steal anything else. Which he probably was. How it's handled from there shouldn't be your problem, but the store's. Don't feel bad for doing the right thing. Just think of it as keeping the prices reasonable. If everyone took a jar of peanut butter, the prices would rise.

Did you see him leave the store with it? Because just concealing it in the store is no longer enough for a store to confidently consider it shoplifting. I'm not saying he wasn't stealing it...but retail stores wait until the person leaves the store. Liability, and also because prosecution is more difficult without complete proof.

That being said, the clerk shouldn't have told you she'd do something unless she was going to do it. Shame on her.

Hmmm, I just sent DH to the store for a jar of peanut butter today and he texted, then called to complain about the price of peanut butter. Apparently it's not so cheap anymore...must be from all the peanut butter thefts. :) (Or more likely the huge recall recently, now the companies are trying to make their lost $$ back.)

Hmmm, I just sent DH to the store for a jar of peanut butter today and he texted, then called to complain about the price of peanut butter. Apparently it's not so cheap anymore...must be from all the peanut butter thefts. :) (Or more likely the huge recall recently, now the companies are trying to make their lost $$ back.)

I remember seeing a news clip last summer about the price going up due to a peanut shortage or something, long before the recall.