Menu

Need a gift idea for a young engineer

EmilyJ

He's 9 going on 39. We own Snap Circuits (he loved it, but now thinks it's better suited for little sister). He's working on the Electronics Learning Lab with his grandfather. We need a $50-$60 gift idea that is like Snap Circuits or Electronic Learning Lab....maybe even something Lego? He's very into cameras, automobile electronics, lights, etc. Ideas, please?!!??!! Thanks in advance!nto

My 7.5 year old is the same way. He graduated to "real" wiring this summer with components from Radio Shack, making motorized cars, lights and such.

We are getting him the Discover Electronics Kit from Sparkle Labs. It seems a good intro to actual components for his ability level and it was recommended to usby a friend. The MakerShed website has all sorts of kits he has adored using, mainly because they look cool and use real components.

On his list, he also has the new Light Up Snap Circuits, the Thames and Kosmos kits (Wind Power and a physics one), a couple of those robot kits, a new erector set, and a learn to solder circuits kit. He isn't getting all these things, but it's his wishlist! Most of them are around $50 online.

Lego Dacta Technic sets were a huge hit when my son was 9 years old. This is the set we had (only available on the used market now, but a quick google search showed lots of them for sale). Dacta is the educational side of Lego, and the kits are more learning oriented than traditional Legos or Technic. This particular kit came with a set of task cards concerning the physics of simple machines, but it was also good for open-ended learning projects. My young engineer-to-be enjoyed lots of fun hours with Dacta!

Thanks for all of the ideas! Does anyone know of an online community for these kiddos?? Wouldn't it be great for them to connect with like-minded kids and bounce ideas off of one another and talk about their latest projects, etc? Thanks, again!

What about a Raspberry Pi?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

It's a $35 computer that you need to figure out yourself: how to connect it to peripherals, install an operating system, and learn to program. It isn't a toy and would require patience and perseverance to get up and running, but is doable for children with that mindset.

Their newsletter shows more of what this tiny computer can do:

http://www.themagpi.com/

Lego Dacta Technic sets were a huge hit when my son was 9 years old. This is the set we had (only available on the used market now, but a quick google search showed lots of them for sale). Dacta is the educational side of Lego, and the kits are more learning oriented than traditional Legos or Technic. This particular kit came with a set of task cards concerning the physics of simple machines, but it was also good for open-ended learning projects. My young engineer-to-be enjoyed lots of fun hours with Dacta!

Thank you for posting this! This started me on a rabbit trail.

FWIW, for you lurkers, there is a lot out there on Lego construction. I found this PDF interesting for beginners: http://www.botball.o...8/artoflego.pdf

I think Lego Education still has an updated version of Dacta sold as this. Is that Simple and Motorized Machines set basically the same? Ds got it for Christmas last year and loves it!

Thank you for posting this! This started me on a rabbit trail.

FWIW, for you lurkers, there is a lot out there on Lego construction. I found this PDF interesting for beginners: http://www.botball.o...8/artoflego.pdf

Thanks for the link, wapiti. Very interesting stuff; I bookmarked it for future use.

I think Lego Education still has an updated version of Dacta sold as this. Is that Simple and Motorized Machines set basically the same? Ds got it for Christmas last year and loves it!

Cool, FairProspects. As far as I can tell, it looks like a comparable set to what we bought for our son. I'm glad to see that Lego is still making these!

If anyone's still shopping, there's an ebay seller with this set new-in-box at a better price.