Menu

Gluten Free Christmas cookies - need recipes, please!

Spryte

These turn out well (just like "regular" cookies). We've been GF for 8 years and this my favorite sugar cookie recipe.

Sugar Cookies

â…“ cup butter

â…“ cup shortening

¾ cup sugar

1 cup white rice flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 egg

1 TBS milk

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp salt

½ cup tapioca flour

½ cup potato starch flour

Sweet rice flour for rolling

Beat butter, shortening, and sugar. Add rice flour, xanthan, egg, milk, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix. Add tapioca and potato starch flours. Mix.

Cover and chill in refrigerator for 3 hours.

Roll out dough on sweet rice flour with plastic wrap on top. Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Cool, and then, add icing, sprinkles, etc.

Here is my Pinterest board of the treats we will be making in our house http://pinterest.com/purpleheartwife/12-days-of-christmas-treats/. I can't remember for sure but some of them may have almond flour. Could you substitute sunbutter for peanut butter? It is certainly tricky cooking with special allergies but it can be done:) Happy Baking!

These turn out well (just like "regular" cookies). We've been GF for 8 years and this my favorite sugar cookie recipe.

Sugar Cookies

â…“ cup butter

â…“ cup shortening

¾ cup sugar

1 cup rice flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 egg

1 TBS milk

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp salt

½ cup tapioca flour

Beat butter, shortening, and sugar. Add rice flour, xanthan, egg, milk, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix. Add tapioca and potato starch flours. Mix.

Roll out dough on sweet rice flour with plastic wrap on top. Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheets.

Do you use brown rice flour or white rice flour?

Well, they're not exactly cookies, but I got a special request for an encore presentation of these for the GF cookie swap this year at our co-op holiday party:

Chocolate Peanut Balls

2 cups peanut butter

1 cup butter, softened

5 cups powdered sugar

2 12-oz pkgs of chocolate chips (any kind, milk or dark)

4-5 Tb. vegetable shortening

Combine peanut butter and butter with wooden spoon until evenly blended. Add the powdered sugar and stir until the mixture has the consistency of sticky Play Doh.

Use a double boiler to melt chocolate chips with the shortening, stirring frequently (you can probably use the microwave if you want).

Roll the peanut butter mixture into 1 inch balls & set on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. If dough is really sticky you can add more powdered sugar. Put the baking sheet in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to make the balls easier to handle.

To dip the balls in chocolate you can use a toothpick or a fork. To make them "buckeye" balls, leave a small part of the peanut butter exposed. Set them back on the baking sheet and cool the finished candies in the refrigerator until chocolate has hardened.

Makes about 100 candies.

Did you see this thread? It is on the Chat board. One of the cookie recipes in the NPR article I linked may work. I do know that KAF GF products (and you can get ingredients to make a GF mix like the one they sell or just buy theirs) are tree nut/peanut-free -- but only the GF products, as far as I know. They are very good about labeling their other things. Bob's Red Mill, last I checked, was not tree nut or peanut free. I don't know about Gluten Free Pantry these days but years ago we used them.

And if I remember correctly, Elizabeth Barbone's baking book had some Christmas cookie recipes with at least one that would be safe for tree nut/peanut/sesame allergies.

• 2 weeks later...

Sugar Cookies

â…“ cup butter

â…“ cup shortening

¾ cup sugar

1 cup white rice flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 egg

1 TBS milk

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp salt

½ cup tapioca flour

Do these cookies have any chewiness to them, or are they crispy?

Thanks!