Menu

Gluten Free Christmas Cookies

PrincessMommy

http://www.celiac.com/articles/477/1/Masa-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

We use this for chocolate chip cookies, you can get corn masa cheap at most grocery stores. This is what we have always found very easily in most places. http://www.thelatinproducts.com/maseca-instant-corn-masa-flour-mix-2-2-lb/?gclid=CIbpo7jn8bMCFQkFnQod9EUAVQ#back

I played around with the recipes I loved and found king arthur gluten free flour works well as a substitute flour. I mixed up some of my own flour blend from different cookbooks and some were gritty. I like the King arthur GF flour the best. So we still bake our same favorites :-)

And honestly, if you have a Wegmans nearby their sugar cookie GF mix is pretty good. The brownies are divine!

I also use 123 Gluten Free Sugar cookie mix...but this one is dry so it needs a frosting and they don't last long. It makes a lot....so best for large group so it gets gone quick. But not bad for a mix.

I played around with the recipes I loved and found king arthur gluten free flour works well as a substitute flour. I mixed up some of my own flour blend from different cookbooks and some were gritty. I like the King arthur GF flour the best. So we still bake our same favorites :-)

And honestly, if you have a Wegmans nearby their sugar cookie GF mix is pretty good. The brownies are divine!

I also use 123 Gluten Free Sugar cookie mix...but this one is dry so it needs a frosting and they don't last long. It makes a lot....so best for large group so it gets gone quick. But not bad for a mix.

Is that the KA GF multipurpose flour? I would LOVE to be able to make the Cook's Illustrated sugar cookie recipe.

We aren't GF anymore but I just linked this article from NPR on another thread. Two cookie recipes -- haven't tried them, though.

I agree about KAF GF stuff ... used to use it with success. I'm trying to remember, but I think I used their mix to do sugar cookies and they were good -- maybe it was on the box? Here is a link to their cookie recipes.

ETA: Article from PBS with a GF cutout cookie recipe at the end.

Is that the KA GF multipurpose flour? I would LOVE to be able to make the Cook's Illustrated sugar cookie recipe.

I have had the most success subbing 1-for-1 and converting regular recipes with either the King Arthur GF multi-purpose flour or the Gluten Free Pantry flour blend. For baking sweets, I think that going the more processed/heavy on the starches GF flour blends does a better job. Nothing healthy about it, but it will act and taste more like the "real" deal. I do prefer the King Arthur for taste/texture above all others, but the Gluten Free Pantry is acceptable (actually, the ingredients aren't that much different than the King Arthur--King Arthur is just somehow magically better, and of course more expensive).

Anyhow, if I were going to try to make a treasured cookie or pastry recipe GF, yes, I'd go with the King Arthur. Otherwise, I'd just find an already GF recipe.

I've always used the Gluten free pantry french bread mix as a cup-for-cup substitute for making cut out sugar cookies. I use the recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbooks. My parents always come over and make cookies with us a few days before Christmas and they enjoy these even though they are not gluten free.