Menu

Legal age to not be responsible for child

Hope this won't come off as too weird, but what is the legal age pr. state for when you don't have to be responsible for your child and can legally ask them to move out? Someone I know has a really lazy kid and the question is now whether the parents are doing them a favor by offering their home or if it is time to kick the kid out and request them to start taking responsibility.

Here in Australia it is 18.

but I do believe it is different in other countries. Apparently in Canada you have to pay child support until 25. A bit over the top I think!

Not that I know of. I believe 25 is if the kid is in post secondary education, then there are some child support orders that do extend to that point, but no, not on a normal basis. 18 is legal age here.

And just as antoher bit of information, we were told by a police officer that if we were to legally ask our over-18 daughter to move out, we would actually have to go through eviction proceedings for us to legally be able to refuse her entry into the house. I am not sure how accurate that info is, but something that may warrant investigating.

It never came to that for us as she left on her own and it wasn't what we truly wanted at the time

Not that I know of. I believe 25 is if the kid is in post secondary education, then there are some child support orders that do extend to that point, but no, not on a normal basis. 18 is legal age here.

Ah I thought it was child support in general.

I know my exBIL (in Canada) is still paying child support for my nieces who are in their early 20's, they are both studying. I didn't realise that the two things were connected.

Here in Australia there is nothing like that.

It may be 18 AND not going to high school anymore. That seemed to be the rule when I looked into it last in CA. Most kids don't graduate until they are 18 plus a few months or so. Now, if the child dropped out of high school, that is considered not going to high school anymore.

The person will need to check local laws. I just can't imagine someone younger than 18 being kicked out for laziness.

In my state, I believe you are legally responsible for your child until age 18. You cannot kick them out of the house until that age or you will face legal repercussions yourself.

If a parent/guardian is having serious problems caring for the child (due to the child's behavior or other issues), the parent can petition the court for intervention. I think it's called ChINS (child in need of services). This is extreme. This is what people who have a child who is an imminent threat to the family have to do. Way beyond the extreme acting out some teens get into.

I agree with 18. I have a friend whose 17 yo son in public high school made really poor choices. They kicked him out. (I don't know more than porr choices!) He ended up living on street for a while. The police brought him home and told the parents they were still responsible for him.

I'd check with an attorney over the police; preferably someone who does a lot of family law.

I imagine that there are other things than just tossing a child out that parents can do and I suspect it is more complex than the police will be able to flesh out for the family.

In alabama its their 19th birthday, this was changed so parents couldn't kick kids out before they graduated. We have a high drop out for generations SAD. THis only apply if the kids doesn't have a high school diploma or ged. It also has to do with child support till the kid graduates. I believe its only pushed in the courts. THe authorities don't come after the parents unless their under 18. I've never heard of it being inforced. I only know about it because my SIL is a attorney with a schizophrenic son who was h*ll for them. HE had turned 18 during high scchoool and she wanted to kick his but out but said she couldn't till he turned 19. THe state says the parent is still reponsible.

I'm guessing its a weird law to enforce with the federal laws saying 18. Oh well just FYI

I agree. 18's the age around here. I've never heard of the 25 before except for when applying for student loans. Even then only parental income is taken into account. I can't imagine having to have a child stay in the home until 25.

It is age 18 where I live. In my state, child support can continue until age 21, but that only applies to divorced or never-married parents, and the adult child needs to meet certain criteria like attending school at least part-time, maintaining a minimum GPA. Even if a parent did have a child support obligation for a child between 18 and 21, that doesn't legally require them to house said adult child after age 18.