Menu

Book a Week in 2012

It's been weeks since I last reported in, and I have to confess that for the first time since the Book-a-Week threads started in 2009 I'm not going to get close to even 50 books. I'll be lucky to make it to 40! It seems I'm keeping far busier now that I'm an empty nester so I'm not carving out the reading time, not needing that escape as I did while actively homeschooling.

But it is nice to see all your familiar virtual faces, though I'm virtually plugging my ears and saying "la la la la" in order to drown out the fabulous titles y'all keep writing about. My to be read pile is already quite large already, thank you very much!

This is my first post on this new-fangled board -- I'll work on multi-quotes next time!!

My pitiful list thus far:

34. Armadale by Wilkie Collins Not sure I'll finish, but he is a fun author, one I discovered thanks to the WTM!

33. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers. This series and the Hobbit are finally on Audible, so I've been listening while knitting or driving

32. Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring.

31. The Hobbit

30. Garment of Shadows by Laurie R King. The most recent in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series.

29. Master and Commander Not sure if I'll continue the series or not. I liked Hornblower a bit better, I think

28. Maphead by Ken Jennings LOVED it. He does for geography what Bill Bryson did for sciene in Short History

27. You are a Dog a short gift book about life from the perspective of a dog

26. Ring of Solomon by Jonathon Stroud a prequel, sort of, to the Bartimaeus trilogy, but not as good as the trilogy

25. The Gates of Ptolemy by Jonathon Stroud Bartimaeus trilogy

24. Golem's Eye also Jonathon Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy

23. Amulet of Samarkan, the first in the trilogy

22. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman a new novelist, but long time comic book author. Fun, clever book about dragons and music.

21. The Red House Mystery by AA Milne. Yes, the Pooh author wrote nice English mysteries, too!!

20. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. Rather dumb, futuristic re-setting of Austen's Persuassion

19. Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

18. Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett Loved how he incorporated Chinese mythology and history into Discworld

17. Red Shirts by John Scalzi LOVED it! Especially the audio read by Wil Wheaton. Perfect for the Trekkies on you holiday shopping list!

16. Into the Wilderness historical romance fluff

15. Terry Pratchett: The Spirit of Fantasy by Craig Cabell biography/coffee table book -- not terrible insightful

14. The Osiris Ritual by George Mann steam punk fun!

13. Sacre Blue by Christopher Moore An alternate history of France in the time of the great impressionists. Fun, meta, different...

12. Death Comes to Pemberly by PD James I liked it

11. Crossing the Heart of Africa by Julian Smith The author retraces the steps of an African explorer -- if you liked Lost City of Z you'll like this.

10. Happy Return by CS Forester

9. Beekeeping for Beginners by Laurie R King a short novella from Holmes' point of view of his first meeting Russell

8. Going Postal by Pratchett a re-read, because it is one of my all time favorite Discworlds

7. Beneath a Buried House by Bob Avery a quick, decent whodunit

6. Ahab's Wife I couldn't finish it, I really disliked it and her

5. The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer because I had to keep up with Artemis Fowler even though my kids have long since outgrown it!!

4. Pirate King by Laurie R King

3. Midshipman Hornblower by CS Forester

2. Dance of Dragons by George RR Martin Talk about a chunkster of a book! Thank heavens for the internet -- I relied on the wiki to help me remember bits from the previous titles!

1. Great Expectations by Dickens

Chunksters are books over 500 pages. I need a challenge that requires me to read one a month! One usually pops up. There are always the standbys: TBR piles, chunksters, and the sorts of things that people always need to read. I'm thinking I also need one to whittle down my Amazon wishlist--the library list is over 100 books long!

Love the name of the challenge. :D My one chunkster for 2012 then was The Count of Monte Cristo. I might finish Anna Karenina before the end of the year, but I'm not counting on it. I really wanted to finish before the movie came out but I know that won't happen even if I do finish by the end of the year.

Mind if I go off topic? This post is intended for Stacia and others who are interested in film and food.

I spent last night in France--or so it seemed. We went to see the French comedic film hit, The Intouchables. Delightful! The movie also inspired us to have dinner in a little French bistro beforehand. Why had I not been there before? They had a section of the menu dedicated to moules (mussels) with various sauces. I had Moules Provencal, served of course with pommes frites and washed down with a glass of wine.

My mini vacation was pure delight. I think I may need to do this more often...

We love France and especially French wine so love this idea. Will have to entice my hubby on taking a 'french vacation' ")

Indeed. Thank you Robin.

My nightstand overfloweth...and includes a number of chunksters. I'm in!

:hurray:

I'm coming in late to this thread (having just joined the forum a few months ago), but I always keep a list of the books I've read. I'm currently reading my 53rd book for this year, and it's Elizabeth Street, which is very good.

My book count tends to not be too high because my preferred read is what you all are calling "chunksters," although in my world a 500 page book wouldn't quality. I don't consider a book particularly long unless it's over 1,000 pages.

Welcome! Glad you decided to join in.

Yes, thank you Robin. This is one of the first threads I went looking for when the board came back.

The boards might look different but if there's a Book a Week thread then I know it's home. Robin - Thanks for taking the time to make this threads. It is so appreciated!

Aw thank you!

It's been weeks since I last reported in, and I have to confess that for the first time since the Book-a-Week threads started in 2009 I'm not going to get close to even 50 books. I'll be lucky to make it to 40! It seems I'm keeping far busier now that I'm an empty nester so I'm not carving out the reading time, not needing that escape as I did while actively homeschooling.

But it is nice to see all your familiar virtual faces, though I'm virtually plugging my ears and saying "la la la la" in order to drown out the fabulous titles y'all keep writing about. My to be read pile is already quite large already, thank you very much!

This is my first post on this new-fangled board -- I'll work on multi-quotes next time!!

My pitiful list thus far:

34. Armadale by Wilkie Collins Not sure I'll finish, but he is a fun author, one I discovered thanks to the WTM!

33. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers. This series and the Hobbit are finally on Audible, so I've been listening while knitting or driving

32. Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring.

31. The Hobbit

30. Garment of Shadows by Laurie R King. The most recent in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series.

29. Master and Commander Not sure if I'll continue the series or not. I liked Hornblower a bit better, I think

28. Maphead by Ken Jennings LOVED it. He does for geography what Bill Bryson did for sciene in Short History

27. You are a Dog a short gift book about life from the perspective of a dog

26. Ring of Solomon by Jonathon Stroud a prequel, sort of, to the Bartimaeus trilogy, but not as good as the trilogy

25. The Gates of Ptolemy by Jonathon Stroud Bartimaeus trilogy

24. Golem's Eye also Jonathon Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy

23. Amulet of Samarkan, the first in the trilogy

22. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman a new novelist, but long time comic book author. Fun, clever book about dragons and music.

21. The Red House Mystery by AA Milne. Yes, the Pooh author wrote nice English mysteries, too!!

20. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. Rather dumb, futuristic re-setting of Austen's Persuassion

19. Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

18. Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett Loved how he incorporated Chinese mythology and history into Discworld

17. Red Shirts by John Scalzi LOVED it! Especially the audio read by Wil Wheaton. Perfect for the Trekkies on you holiday shopping list!

16. Into the Wilderness historical romance fluff

15. Terry Pratchett: The Spirit of Fantasy by Craig Cabell biography/coffee table book -- not terrible insightful

14. The Osiris Ritual by George Mann steam punk fun!

13. Sacre Blue by Christopher Moore An alternate history of France in the time of the great impressionists. Fun, meta, different...

12. Death Comes to Pemberly by PD James I liked it

11. Crossing the Heart of Africa by Julian Smith The author retraces the steps of an African explorer -- if you liked Lost City of Z you'll like this.

10. Happy Return by CS Forester

9. Beekeeping for Beginners by Laurie R King a short novella from Holmes' point of view of his first meeting Russell

8. Going Postal by Pratchett a re-read, because it is one of my all time favorite Discworlds

7. Beneath a Buried House by Bob Avery a quick, decent whodunit

6. Ahab's Wife I couldn't finish it, I really disliked it and her

5. The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer because I had to keep up with Artemis Fowler even though my kids have long since outgrown it!!

4. Pirate King by Laurie R King

3. Midshipman Hornblower by CS Forester

2. Dance of Dragons by George RR Martin Talk about a chunkster of a book! Thank heavens for the internet -- I relied on the wiki to help me remember bits from the previous titles!

1. Great Expectations by Dickens

As I said before just keep swimming! You've read some very interesting books.

Okay, so for 2013 we will add in a chunkster challenge. I can do some categories kind of like Book Garden did with her 2012 chunkster challenge. I managed to finish three. Still have a few weeks left I might manage one more in December. Now might be the time for me to read Vanity Fair. Along with that we'll continue with the Well Educated Mind books as well. And if you have any sugggestions for mini challenges or books you have been wanting to read but don't want to read them alone, let me know.

Keep your eyes on Novel Challenges - now is the time of year everyone is listing their challenges for next year.

Keep your eyes on Novel Challenges - now is the time of year everyone is listing their challenges for next year.

Did you see the TBR Double Dog Dare over there? :lol:

"The goal of the TBR Double Dog Dare is to reduce the size of your TBR stack, to read those books you've had for years and always meant to get around to reading one day. January 1, 2013 just might be the day.

If you agree to the full Double Dog Dare, then you pledge to read only books in your TBR stack as of January 1, 2013 from the start of the new year until April Fool's Day. Your TBR stack is officially defined as the books you have purchased or have requested from the library as of January 1, 2013."

"The goal of the TBR Double Dog Dare is to reduce the size of your TBR stack, to read those books you've had for years and always meant to get around to reading one day. January 1, 2013 just might be the day.

If you agree to the full Double Dog Dare, then you pledge to read only books in your TBR stack as of January 1, 2013 from the start of the new year until April Fool's Day. Your TBR stack is officially defined as the books you have purchased or have requested from the library as of January 1, 2013."

Whoa. That's tough. I would like to get my to-read list down to a reasonable number BUT what if a book comes up that I just have to read immediately?!?!

But some of those books in the TBR stack have such a healthy blanket of dust. Nice and cozy-like. Should we really disturb their fine patina?

Definitely sounds like something I should do. I am signing up for Beth's What's in a Name. I do hers every year and she has fun categories.

I agree with your dislikes, especially the bolded. I had high hopes for this book, and while I learned a few things, I was disappointed overall. Part of it may have had to do with the fact that I didn't really care for Dodd and I got tired of his daughter.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I wondered if you may have taken away some other things that I hadn't thought about.

I haven't posted in a few weeks....I think once I hit 52 books I felt like I was "done" :laugh: .

Book # 72 was In the Garden of Beasts, and I had heard such wonderful things about this book that I had really high hopes for it. And it wasn't awful, but it wasn't that good. Kind of boring really.

Book #71 was a great book by Harlow Unger, John Quincy Adams. I always assumed (wrongly) that John Quincy Adams was some sort of uninteresting overpriviliged brat of a founding father....and he really wasn't. He led a VERY interesting life and was a part of a lot of interesting things in American history. He helped start the Smithsonian Institute, and was an abolitionist who had a huge influence on Abraham Lincoln.

I am an American history buff, and it was nice to read about someone I knew nothing about.

For those already planning for 2013, yes we will be continuing with Book a Week in 2013.

This is my first quote on the new board - hope it works because I really want to say a big THANK YOU to you, Robin, for doing this thread! It is such a comfort to know that this thread will be here again next year! It is by far my favorite!

This is my first quote on the new board - hope it works because I really want to say a big THANK YOU to you, Robin, for doing this thread! It is such a comfort to know that this thread will be here again next year! It is by far my favorite!

Yes it worked and thank you. It's my favorite as well.

Giving up on Cara Black for the moment. Just can't get into the story. Going on to the 2nd book in Bishop Trilogy - Hiding in the Shadows by Kay Hooper.

Giving up on Cara Black for the moment. Just can't get into the story.

I read a couple of Cara Black's early Aimee Leduc mystery novels. I really wanted to like them given their Parisian setting but I found something lacking. Never went back to the series which is too bad. Maybe they improved? Or maybe not...

Thanks for another cool title, Stacia! I just downloaded that onto my iPad Kindle app.

But some of those books in the TBR stack have such a healthy blanket of dust. Nice and cozy-like. Should we really disturb their fine patina?

And dusting causes a disturbance in The Force. Can't be doing that!

I read a couple of Cara Black's early Aimee Leduc mystery novels. I really wanted to like them given their Parisian setting but I found something lacking. Never went back to the series which is too bad. Maybe they improved? Or maybe not...

I read Murder in Passy last year. It was free when I first got my Kindle, and I was trying to load it up with free books. It's apparently the 11th in the series, though I had never heard of the series. It was just okay. It didn't make me want to read any of the others though.

I finished The Hound of the Baskervilles as part of my ongoing plan to read all of the original Sherlock Holmes stories in order. Technically that puts me at #52, even though it's a short story.

I finally started Yellow Crocus last night. I put it off several times, because each time I planned to read it one of my library holds would come it. I always read them first. I'm barely into it, but so far it has my attention.

Since my last post (on the old board), I've completed

16. E. M. Forster, A Room With a View

Also two subpoenas and a statement of facts. And just yesterday acquired a restraining order and a new username. Say, is there some kind of holiday happening? The grocery store sure seemed crowded this morning.

This week I'm determined to finish Arthur's Britain. And in one of my deal-with-stress-by-cleaning fits I found Gogol's Dead Souls, so that's next in the stack.

I finished The Hound of the Baskervilles as part of my ongoing plan to read all of the original Sherlock Holmes stories in order. Technically that puts me at #52, even though it's a short story.

Yay! You made it! That counts - I'm pretty sure that's a novel and not a short story.

Since my last post (on the old board), I've completed

16. E. M. Forster, A Room With a View

Also two subpoenas and a statement of facts. And just yesterday acquired a restraining order and a new username. Say, is there some kind of holiday happening? The grocery store sure seemed crowded this morning.

This week I'm determined to finish Arthur's Britain. And in one of my deal-with-stress-by-cleaning fits I found Gogol's Dead Souls, so that's next in the stack.

Sorry about everything you're going through. Do I "recognize" your face if not your name?

Sorry about everything you're going through. Do I "recognize" your face if not your name?

Oh, no worries; it's all over now, and as it involved a complete stranger with something to lose and a satisfyingly unsympathetic (to him) judge, we're out the other side with no emotional baggage or plausible danger.

But it did seem prudent to remove the identifying info from my username. Plug my new name into Wikipedia for the clue to the old one!

Oh, no worries; it's all over now, and as it involved a complete stranger with something to lose and a satisfyingly unsympathetic (to him) judge, we're out the other side with no emotional baggage or plausible danger.

Glad to hear that things have been resolved. Much to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day!

Book # 72 was In the Garden of Beasts, and I had heard such wonderful things about this book that I had really high hopes for it. And it wasn't awful, but it wasn't that good. Kind of boring really.

That was how I described it to my sister...boring. She was supposed to read it for her book club but ran out of time.

I haven't posted much because my reading this year has been off. Most everything I've finished has been what you described above, not awful, but not that good. Who wants to constantly post, "It was just o.k.?"

I don't think I'll get to 52 this year. I'll probably finish somewhere in the 40's. I'm looking forward to 2013 though. Things can only go up from here, right? :tongue_smilie:

Friday deals in books - Barnes and Noble's Free Friday is a gritty mystery by Stuart Macbride called Cold Granite. Check out the sample first.

Barnes and Nobles Black Friday book deals (50% off) Go stock up on those chunksters. :)

If you've been wanting to get just an ereader - their simple touch is $59.00 today.

Amazon's black friday deals in books.

I finished Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks today. I liked it a lot, though I did find it a bit odd that so many of the case studies are apparently also included in his other books. I still want to read Hallucinations, and maybe The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

Looks really interesting. Added it to my wishlist.

I'm currently reading Finder's Fee by Alton Ganksy

"'I know your secret if you defy me, then the world will know.' A terrifying phone call sweeps rich and powerful businesswoman Judith Find into a desperate search for a kidnapped boy. If she involves the authorities, the child will die ... and Judith's darkest secret to the world. Judith is teamed with a mysterious stranger with a carefully guarded secret of his own. But is Luke Becker an unwilling ally or an agent of the kidnapper? As Judith and Luke's mutual distrust wars against a growing attraction, the life of a small boy hangs in the balance. A boy unlike any other Judith has ever met. Eight-year-old Abel Palek will help Judith discover a faith and a life she has never imagined. But freeing him could cost her everything. Her career. Her reputation. And very possibly her life."

Okay - who has gone missing? Negin and Rosie seem to have disappeared or have they changed their names? Who else am I missing. Or is it just that time of the year when folks are too busy.

I just did a member search. Rosie is still here, so maybe she's busy. I couldn't find Negin. It's Negin in Granada right? "No results found."

I just did a member search. Rosie is still here, so maybe she's busy. I couldn't find Negin. It's Negin in Granada right? "No results found."

Right after the board switch she posted a thread about not liking the new changes. I hope she doesn't permanently go MIA. :crying:

Okay - who has gone missing? Negin and Rosie seem to have disappeared or have they changed their names? Who else am I missing. Or is it just that time of the year when folks are too busy.

Well pfui. I am sorry iif Negin deleted her membership here. She will be missed.

I agree. Negin, if you're reading this, we want you back.

Hey, I just finished Leslie Alcock's Arthur's Britain! And since I can no longer embed links, alas, here's a lovely URL to the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Arthurs-Britain-Classic-History-Leslie/dp/0141390697/ref=la_B001IXOF36_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353812682&sr=1-2

A very good read. A thorough analysis and evaluation of the scanty historical and archeological evidence of sixth-century Britain, Alcock concluding that, contrary to the conquest-by-fire-and-sword version of the Anglo-Saxon invasion, the English settlement was gradual, and that fighting between Britons and Angles-Saxons-Jutes was not very different from the raids and small-scale warfare in the area among British tribes, Picts, Scotti, and ancestral English.

On to Gogol!

I had been listening to Among Schoolchildren, but it was on my Shuffle, which I found in the washing machine at the end of a cycle this afternoon!!! I knew it was bound to happen: either one of my children would swallow the Shuffle, or I would wash it. I am hopeful that after it dries out, it will still work. I wasn't enjoying the book all that much anyway, so no great loss. :)

I agree. Negin, if you're reading this, we want you back.

Hey, I just finished Leslie Alcock's Arthur's Britain! And since I can no longer embed links, alas, here's a lovely URL to the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.co...53812682&sr=1-2

A very good read. A thorough analysis and evaluation of the scanty historical and archeological evidence of sixth-century Britain, Alcock concluding that, contrary to the conquest-by-fire-and-sword version of the Anglo-Saxon invasion, the English settlement was gradual, and that fighting between Britons and Angles-Saxons-Jutes was not very different from the raids and small-scale warfare in the area among British tribes, Picts, Scotti, and ancestral English.

On to Gogol!

Rabbit trail on how to embed links. See post #5 in this thread. VAKim figured it out and shared her knowledge.

Rabbit trail on how to embed links. See post #5 in this thread. VAKim figured it out and shared her knowledge.

Alas there is no link button for us iPad users. I need an html solution.

Someone recently under discussion is still here but she has changed her name!! I don't know if she wants to be outed or not.

Whew!

Huzzah! Didn't want to lose any passengers.

I'm reading a book that is all of these:

LITERARY WORKS TIE IN (my term--it ties in real books to the plot)

MYSTERY

ALTERNATIVEHISTORY

SCI FI

It's called The Eyre Affair by Jaspar Fforde, http://www.amazon.com/Eyre-Affair-Thursday-Next-Novel/dp/0142001805 and I haven't decided how I'd rate it yet. At first I kept thinking I'd quit every night and then went back to it the next day. I rewatched my Jane Eyre movie last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229822/ (mil gave this to me) to refesh my memory, although naturally things are always left out of movies. I did reread that novel sometime in the past 2 or 3 years.

I hope those apparently missing are still here, and if they've changed their names, please let us know so we know who we're communicating with :).

I'm reading a book that is all of these:

LITERARY WORKS TIE IN (my term--it ties in real books to the plot)

MYSTERY

ALTERNATIVEHISTORY

SCI FI

It's called The Eyre Affair by Jaspar Fforde, http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0142001805 and I haven't decided how I'd rate it yet. At first I kept thinking I'd quit every night and then went back to it the next day. I rewatched my Jane Eyre movie last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229822/ (mil gave this to me) to refesh my memory, although naturally things are always left out of movies. I did reread that novel sometime in the past 2 or 3 years.

I hope those apparently missing are still here, and if they've changed their names, please let us know so we know who we're communicating with :).

I read this last year. Actually, it might have been my first book of 2012. I was SO looking forward to this book, however, I felt it fell short. Great premise but I didn't like the execution.

I'm thinking a chunkster challenge would be good for me.

I'm getting ready to begin a 14 book "Chunkster Challenge" :w00t: Robert Jordan's final book releases just after the New Year. I always reread the books before reading the newest. I don't think there is a one under 500 pages and many are 800-900. My Book a Week numbers will be small next year (well, like I'm keeping up this year anyway :glare: ) as I enjoy time with my old friends and finally get to the end of their story!!

I haven't had much reading time, but I'm over half-way through "All Roads Lead to Austen." I'm not sure how I'm feeling about it. I guess we'll see when I get to the end.

It's good to be back to this thread. The boards are not "comfy" yet.