Menu

I'm nuts! Help...must put together performance wear & nervous too!

Well, this is what I get for answering the phone!

In a moment of total insanity, though I haven't performed a concert in YEARS because I'm too busy educating kids, I agreed to a benefit concert.

Okay, forgetting that fact that a long ago once memorized Mozart Concerto must now be recommitted to memory in record time, I've also NOTHING to wear.

It's a black tie event. The only thing in my closet is a very lovely, floor-length skirt - black...flowy...perfect for the occasion. However, I do not have a blouse or jacket that I would consider dressy enough for this and of course, comfort is an issue since I'm going to be at that piano for a good 45- an hour of intensive playing.

In my mind's eye, I see a ruffled tuxedo shirt and a black cut-away coat ala Charles Dickens. My hair will be in a simple french twist.

Where on earth will I find this coat and can it be purchased for $100.00 or less because since I'm playing for free since the benefit is a cause I wholeheartedly support - plus, I figure if I don't charge, they can't complain if a flub a note or two :D - I'd like to keep my expenditures down.

I checked the Nordstroms and Macy's websites and there was nothing. Ebay had ONE and it wasn't my size. Suggestions?

Okay, so now I know what I'm doing tomorrow, Friday, and for the next two weeks...I will not be here (after of course checking to see if ya'll found my coat for me :001_smile:). I will be practicing my fingers down to nubs!

Get the straight jacket and paddy wagon ready, I'll be ready by the time performance night rolls around. (Though, maybe...just maybe...I'm a wee bit excited to be "back in action".)

Faith

Call around to some dance studios, high schools, and local theater groups and ask if they have something you can borrow.

Also, try asking a local tux shop if they will donate a rental jacket for you- especially if they get a mention in the program.

Just explain to any place you approach the nature of the benefit- most places will be thrilled to help, or can direct you to someone who can.

Have fun!

Ok - I have no brilliant suggestions about the coat. When it comes to things like this, I always think practical. What will be best for later and possibly more casual use? Only you can answer that for you. There are some lovely black flowy cardiagans out this season that could be worn for dressed up or dressed down with jeans. Nordstrom's and Macy's tend to be my go to stores for stuff like this too.

Asking rental places or music/theater groups is a GREAT idea if you want something more formal and you can say it's for a non-profit.

But we want video! :D My oldest has taken piano for 6 years and played a Scarlatti Sonata in recital last night. We'd love to see you play your big concerto!

Call around to some dance studios, high schools, and local theater groups and ask if they have something you can borrow.

Also, try asking a local tux shop if they will donate a rental jacket for you- especially if they get a mention in the program.

Just explain to any place you approach the nature of the benefit- most places will be thrilled to help, or can direct you to someone who can.

Have fun!

:iagree: this is brilliant. a costume shop might do the same thing for you.

good luck!

ann

Guest ShopMyFairLady

Hi folks.

I'm the WebMistress for ShopMyFairLady

I noticed you guys came to look at our site when advising Faith where to find some dressy clothes online. That was pretty cool. :)

I asked the Boss if I could pop into this forum and reply with a special offer that might help Faith out, if it's not against the posting policies here.

We'd like to post a Secret Code worth 20% off her total order (no minimum). And anyone else in this forum is welcome to use the same code.

If this post is welcome here, I will gladly follow-up with the details.

Thank you so much for you time, Forum Members! :)

Sincerely,

Angelle

ShopMyfairLady WebMistress

Edited by ShopMyFairLady
boss said to :)

Guest ShopMyFairLady

Tryna get the Boss to say yes to 25% off, which would make a 150 jacket 112.50, adn we do free shipping over 100.

Would that fit your budget, Faith? Do you have black pants or a black skirt you could wear with a dressy ruffle jacket? :)

Please let me know what you think. I feel like I'm on a mission here. :)