Menu

anyone know if these are illegal interview questions?

Would it be considered inappropriate or illegal to ask a potential employee....

1. Who wears the pants in the family?

2. Who wears the pants in your parents family?

3. what is your relationship with your parents, siblings?

4. What is your wife's parents relationship?

These were questions asked during an interview for an executive position.

Illegal?

Bizarre, inappropriate and in my state treading into illegal. They generally can't ask about your marital or family status. Asking about family members and family relationships is strange.

I wouldn't want to work for a company that was that off the wall in the interview.

And who says "wears the pants" except as a joke? I don't want to KNOW, much less work for, anyone who speaks like that.

Edited by kijipt

Yeah, the person that was interviewed was completely shocked during the meeting. This was the 4th or 5th interview. Wondering what he should do about this now. The interviewer calls himself an executive coach and was hired by the potential employer. Seems like they were trying to do a personality analysis. :tongue_smilie:

Trying to decide if he should say something to potential employer or just take legal action?? or just walk away....

FYI-the potential employer set up this interview. The "executive coach" met potential employee at a diner. The employer said that this man was his mentor and had some questions for potential employee.

My husband was asked such things by a psychiatrist before he got hired. He didn't like it, but he loves the company and the job, so it worked out. I think they are on the line of legal/illegal, and they are definitely a little creepy. If it is by a psychiatrist, it may be legal because they could possibly have an agreement they won't share that info with the employer but rather their general thoughts about you.

After he left diner he started thinking about what he wished he would have said. He said that he was so shocked and taken off guard. Not one question was asked about potential job. He had already had a great meeting with 5 men from potential new job. He got a call from owner saying that the meeting(before diner meeting) went great and he would be calling Tues(today) to let him know. Potential employee thinks the diner meeting has blown the whole thing. But, like others have said, why would he want the job in the first place(except that it's a lot more $$, better location, and cool job).ugh!

After he left diner he started thinking about what he wished he would have said. He said that he was so shocked and taken off guard. Not one question was asked about potential job. He had already had a great meeting with 5 men from potential new job. He got a call from owner saying that the meeting(before diner meeting) went great and he would be calling Tues(today) to let him know. Potential employee thinks the diner meeting has blown the whole thing. But, like others have said, why would he want the job in the first place(except that it's a lot more $$, better location, and cool job).ugh!

Do you know if he got the job offer today?