Menu

Question for sewers

I'm a very novice sewer but this winter I'd like to learn quilting and I want to make some dress up clothes for the kids from patterns. Do you think this would be a good starting machine? http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Affordable-60-Stitch-Computerized-Free-Arm/dp/B000JQM1DE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1RUGACZMEM75G&coliid=IOBS2WQW059NM

Looks similar to the machine I started with. Like you, I started with kids costumes and beginning quilting in mind. I didn't want to invest a lot of money for just "play sewing". I would suggest you check around and have a place in mind for yearly maintenance & if/when you have problems with it. Happy Sewing!!

I had that machine for about seven years, and it did serve me well. Usually, the suggestion is to look for a vintage machine with metal parts, but even those are often several hundred dollars and require time to find them. Ideally, yes, a machine should last more than seven years, but if the choice was between nothing and something like that Brother, I'd go for the Brother. It was a very good machine until it just wore out and wouldn't sew properly at all. It has a lot of stitches and features -- most of them I didn't use, but for quilting you would use more. I had two mild complaints about it. One is that it was very lightweight, and on the plastic table I have, it would walk some when sewing fast. Not a big deal, but something to know; a sturdier table would be better, I think. The other mild complaint is that the longest stitch, for gathering, is not all that long. Again, not a big deal. Other than that, I was very pleased with the machine.

(Fwiw, I currently have a lower-end Brother that is heavier but has the same issue with the stitch length. I like it pretty well too. The only reason I didn't go for the CS6000 again is cost. I know people say not to get the machines you can get at big box stores, but honestly, they have served me fine, even if they don't last forever.)

ETA: I did like the flat-bed attachment; although it's designed for quilting, I found it very useful for sewing clothing as well.

So what is the proper spelling? It comes up as correct on google.

I think it is the proper spelling, but unless you know the context, it could be either one.

I'm sorry. I hope I didn't make you defensive. I wasn't making fun. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought of plumbing. Once I saw your message I knew you were referring to sewing.

Again, sorry :grouphug:.

I think it is the proper spelling, but unless you know the context, it could be either one.

I'm sorry. I hope I didn't make you defensive. I wasn't making fun. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought of plumbing. Once I saw your message I knew you were referring to sewing.

Again, sorry :grouphug:.

I thought maybe I was having a brain dead moment and missing something.

If you are going to make some basic kids pants, I've found this blog with a lot of free tutorials/patterns really helpful! I started sewing about a year ago to make some skirts for my skinny DD and have slowly branched out into pants and fancier skirts with a lot of help from blogs!

Johanna

pinterest is a great place too! they have SO much on there for sewing! my love is making bags & purses and i find all of my inspiration from pinterest.

OP, if you are new to sewing, i also found youtube tutorials for brother machines to be invaluable. i didn't even know what a bobbin was a year ago, lol. i sew really well now, and i owe a lot of that to the great tutorials on youtube!!

pinterest is a great place too! they have SO much on there for sewing! my love is making bags & purses and i find all of my inspiration from pinterest.

OP, if you are new to sewing, i also found youtube tutorials for brother machines to be invaluable. i didn't even know what a bobbin was a year ago, lol. i sew really well now, and i owe a lot of that to the great tutorials on youtube!!

I LOVE YouTube for tutorials:) Learning how to make Mermaid tails this morning so I can make one for older dd for xmas:) Yesterday it was royal capes:)

Bummer, ordered the machine and it arrived today. Box was smashed up and machine was DOA:(

:-(

Sewing machines have to be packed really well if they are to be shipped.

Do you have an independent dealer (e.g., not Joanns) near you? See if they have a good used model for about the same price - you'll get more for your money and get to test drive it first.

I was thinking, "Only thing I know about sewers is that there are rats, and possibly a flying squirrel or 2 down there..."

And evil smelling budgies.

I have a lower end Brother that does more and has worked well much longer than my mother's Pfaff. I think it's a fine machine to start with.

Bummer, ordered the machine and it arrived today. Box was smashed up and machine was DOA:(

Oh no! That's terrible, I'm sorry! I had a bad experience with a Brother as my first machine, so I am not a big fan of them, but I'm sure it was just my own experience. I love my Kenmore that I've had for 10 years, but I don't think Kenmore is well liked here.

Best of luck, it is so much fun!