Menu

Easy soup recipes

Just posted this in another thread. :) We love this...

Pumpkin Chili

1 med onion, chopped

1 med. yellow pepper, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups of chicken broth

2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained

2 1/2 cups of cubed, cooked turkey (chicken is great too!)

1 can of solid pack pumpkin (or pureed, baked sweet potato or pumpkin)

1 can of diced tomatoes UNDRAINED

2 tsp. parsley flakes

2 tsp. chili powder

1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano

1 1/2 tsp. cumin (I was liberal with it)

1/2 tsp. salt (use more)

Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook for several hours.

Isn't all soup easy? :D

We roasted two chickens last night. I think tonight will be chicken soup: stock, hack up whatever hard veggies we feel like (potatoes, carrots) and simmer til soft, add shredded chicken, maybe some GF pasta, season. I may add some spinach, lemon and cream if I get squirrelly.

I make sausage and kale soup, relatively the same way. Sauté onions and garlic, add loose sausage and brown, chicken stock, sliced potatoes, simmer until they're soft, add shredded kale at the end, finish with cream. I adjust seasoning depending on how spicy the sausage is, with red pepper flakes, at the end.

We just tried this one last week and loved it. I cooked it in the crock pot:

Hearty Italian Sausage Soup

1 lb Italian Sausage (I used the ground kind and browned it, but the link kind works too)

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic

1tsp Olive oil

2 cans Chicken broth

1 soup can water

1 can stewed tomatoes (I used a can of tomato sauce)

1 cup rotini pasta uncooked(we found these to be too big, I would add star pasta or potatoes instead)

1 1/2 cups spinach leaves

add it all together in the crock pot. I cooked mine till the noodles were tender and the spinach was limp. Add some mozzarella on top when serving.

Guest inoubliable

We (DH, myself, and DS12) all have our own twist on a basic potato soup. We basically dice and throw in a good amount of potatoes (skins on), celery, onion, carrot, and garlic. After the veggies get all hot and irritated, I like to throw in veggie stock. DH uses soy milk. DS12 throws in coconut milk and some grated vegan cheddar.

Before we were vegan, we'd use soy milk. We'd use regular cheddar and some baked up turkey bacon as toppings.

Black Bean Soup

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/black_bean_soup.html

From EatingWell: January/February 2010 This is a zippy Southwestern-flavored black bean soup. We make it with canned beans so it comes together in minutes. If you have leftovers, pack them up in individual serving containers for lunch the next day.

4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each | Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/2 cup prepared salsa
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add beans, water, salsa and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
  2. Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Stir the puree back into the saucepan. Serve garnished with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.

Nutrition

Per serving : 191 Calories; 4 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 31 g Carbohydrates; 9 g Protein; 9 g Fiber; 408 mg Sodium; 535 mg Potassium

Baked Potato Soup

Original Recipe Yield 4 servings

Ingredients

• 3 bacon strips, diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup half-and-half cream
  • Shredded Cheddar cheese
  • Minced fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside.

2. Sauté onion and garlic in the drippings until tender.

3. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.

4. Add the potatoes, and cream; heat through but do not boil.

5. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.

Broccoli cheese soup.

Saute some onion in about 1/2 c. butter. When soft add 1/2 c. flour to make a roux. Add broccoli and chicken broth (enough to cover broccoli). Simmer til broccoli is soft, then add a couple of cups of milk and cheese. I like velveeta - processed food cheese is delicious in this soup, but you can use cheddar.

My family loves it.

We also love Stone Soup - the kids have loved making this since they were kids -basically veggie beef soup, but with a good story!

I have a soup hint--carmelized onions are your friend.

You take big white or yellow onions--the Costco ones are great for this. Peel them and slice them thinly. You don't have to chop them because the long strings are going to kind of melt.

Then you cook them in olive oil and butter for a really long time--about 40 minutes at a medium to medium high setting. So what happens is that first they get all translucent. And then they start to turn yellower. Keep the heat low enough so that they don't burn, but high enough so that the water is driven off. Once all of the liquid is evaporated, they will start to heat up more, and this is when you have to really watch out. Stir pretty often, scraping them off the bottom of the pan. What happens is that they begin to brown slowly, and turn a little sweet. Keep scraping, pretty much continuously at this point. Cook like this until there is no translucent scrap left, each and every piece has brown on it, and yet none are black to any appreciable extent.

This is much easier than it sounds--I'm writing it like I would teach it.

These are the best onions ever. They are great on hamburgers. They are great on pizza, with a little gorgonzola cheese and some fresh rosemary. But most of all, 1-2 onions worth is enough to give an excellent flavor to a whole big pot of soup. I always bring this to stone soup potlucks, and it totally takes the soup from bland to really good, every single time. And, you can keep this in a canning jar in the fridge for at least a week. Probably longer, too, but I always seem to use it when I have it. So make a little extra.

We too make all our own stock. Such a difference! Healthy and frugal!

Tomato soup is a staple here:

Saute 1 onion in EVOO until soft but not browned. Add 2 cans of tomatoes (fresh are better, but I'm usually too lazy to peel 'em!) and whatever herbs you have. Fresh are great; dried work fine. Basil, oregano, parsley, celery leaves. Cook 5 minutes or so on med low. Add several C. chx stock and simmer 20 minutes. Blend with immersion blender until smooth.

Add cream if you like.

Care to share your *easy* soup recipes?

Make chicken broth at home and feeze. You will have the base for just about any soup ready in the freezer.

4 cups (adjust to family size) of chicken broth

One pack of nitrite free sausages or hot dogs (you should be able to get those in GER)

Some root vegetables like turnip, rutabaga, daikon, celery root.

Chop those up and bring everything to a boil in the chicken broth.

When root veggies are soft, soup is done.

Season with sea salt, pepper, turmeric, rosemary, thyme or anything you like. :D

I stumbled across this soup years ago, originally called "5 Cans and a Jar Soup." I adapted it to our own preferences so there are fewer cans and less sodium. It's definitely quick and easy.

3 cups chicken stock (I use home-made unsalted)

1 jar mild salsa (I usually use the larger size -- I think it's 24 oz.)

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 can corn, rinsed and drained (I use frozen)

Dash of hot sauce

Dash of lime juice

Mix and heat. I try to throw it together far enough ahead of time that it can simmer for 30 minutes or so.

I usually always have shredded chicken on hand, so I throw in some of that. If you're not going to add chicken you might prefer a lesser amount of salsa.

Care to share your *easy* soup recipes?

Chicken broth

Onion

Hot Italian sausage

Potatoes

Spinach or kale

I bake the sausage links till cooked through, then slice and toss in the soup. I cook til the potatoes are done. The sausage seasons the soup for you, so it's easy and tasty.

If you get ground bulk sausage, just brown it in the pan and sauté the onions with it too.

You WANT hot sausage. The seasonings go into the soup, but it doesn't taste hot in the end.

My cuppa Bovril equivalent is strong garlic broth (many cloves of garlic, crushed and simmered, covered in chicken broth for 45 minutes or so; sometimes with a bouquet garni), usually in a mug, sometimes over toast with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.

I haven't been bitten by a vampire yet.