Menu

Can I see pics of how you orgainze your homeschool supplies (not books)?

I'm losing a very nice size closet that I keep all my homeschool/art stuff. I'd love to see others' organization pics - wherever it may be to get some ideas on how I want to re-organize everything...

I don't have a picture, but most of our art supplies (basic stuff: markers, crayons, colored pencils, glue sticks, scissors) I put in appropriate sized mason jars, then I put all of the jars into a nice basket with handles I got at hobby lobby. There is enough room for me to put the pads of marker and paint paper as well as water colors and oil pastel packages. Then it all slides into the secretary desk cupboard. Keeps it neat and easy to pull out the whole basket or just a jar. I love mason jars :)

I don't have a current pic, but this year I bought Sterilite clip boxes in various sizes from Target. I like them because they lay flat and don't fall all over the place. The lids fit securely and are slightly indented so when stacked on top of each other they are nice and neat. The large size is great for organizing paperwork, the medium is good for art supplies, and the small is good for writing utensils. They aren't cute but they are very orderly, which is a nice contrast to my wild and crazy bookshelves. :tongue_smilie:

I'm losing a very nice size closet that I keep all my homeschool/art stuff. I'd love to see others' organization pics - wherever it may be to get some ideas on how I want to re-organize everything...

I have mine organised in a very nice sized closet so I don't think that will help you. ;)

Before I had my closet I used the laundry room. We stacked our washer and dryer, and dh built me some cheap bookcases to hold everything. I used various tubs and boxes to hold everything.

Okay, ignore the pink walls. We repurposed the room and I did not have the energy to repaint before school started. :D

The kids' books:

Where I keep the kids' crayons, art supplies, etc.:

Odds and ends:

My books:

My desk:

Kids' computer:

Edited by thessa516
Gigantic pictures

I want to get plastic baskets or clear plastic boxes to organize all of the pencils/paints/glue/erasers/crayons/etc, a paper tray to organize different kinds of paper for immediate use, and more plastic boxes to sort manipulatives. In my perfect little world, I'd stick all of this (in addition to books) on an Ikea Billy Bookshelf, or, if I had the space, in an Expedit. If I found that I had a ton of these things, I might get either a floor or wall mounted Trofast.

Currently, I keep all of the paints and paintbrushes together in a cardboard box next to a much larger cardboard box of all of the glue-able/crafty items (foam stickers, sequins, glitter, feathers, toilet paper tubes), next to a cardboard box of paper, next to a recycled scrapbook bag that has some origami paper along with rotary cutters and scissors, next to yet another box that holds all of the pencils, pens, erasers, colored pencils, crayons, and markers - all in separate ziplock baggies within the box. This takes up the top shelf of DS's (somewhat small) closet. His dresser fills the remainder of the space.

In the hall closet, we have "a few" board games/pieces taking up one shelf. I've placed many of the pieces in empty spaghetti jars (things like scrabble letters, rummikub tiles, dice, memory game cards, dominos, etc.) and when I ran out of jars, I used ziplock baggies to group things like monopoly pieces. I stuck all of the boards in one or two boxes. I buy most of our games at thrift stores, so the boxes are usually in pretty poor condition, though the games are usually just fine.

The rest of our toys, games, manipulatives are somewhat "neatly" placed in a corner between DS's IKEA easel and 3 shelf bookshelf(at capacity). We have a couple of plastic bins, but I'd really LOVE to be a bit more organized than I am currently. Alas, wouldn't we all just love to be a bit more organized :D

I have mine organised in a very nice sized closet so I don't think that will help you. ;)

Before I had my closet I used the laundry room. We stacked our washer and dryer, and dh built me some cheap bookcases to hold everything. I used various tubs and boxes to hold everything.

Huh. I didn't consider this option. We are going to need a new washer/dryer...this may be a good idea for us.

I want to get plastic baskets or clear plastic boxes to organize all of the pencils/paints/glue/erasers/crayons/etc, a paper tray to organize different kinds of paper for immediate use, and more plastic boxes to sort manipulatives. In my perfect little world, I'd stick all of this (in addition to books) on an Ikea Billy Bookshelf, or, if I had the space, in an Expedit. If I found that I had a ton of these things, I might get either a floor or wall mounted Trofast.

Currently, I keep all of the paints and paintbrushes together in a cardboard box next to a much larger cardboard box of all of the glue-able/crafty items (foam stickers, sequins, glitter, feathers, toilet paper tubes), next to a cardboard box of paper, next to a recycled scrapbook bag that has some origami paper along with rotary cutters and scissors, next to yet another box that holds all of the pencils, pens, erasers, colored pencils, crayons, and markers - all in separate ziplock baggies within the box. This takes up the top shelf of DS's (somewhat small) closet. His dresser fills the remainder of the space.

In the hall closet, we have "a few" board games/pieces taking up one shelf. I've placed many of the pieces in empty spaghetti jars (things like scrabble letters, rummikub tiles, dice, memory game cards, dominos, etc.) and when I ran out of jars, I used ziplock baggies to group things like monopoly pieces. I stuck all of the boards in one or two boxes. I buy most of our games at thrift stores, so the boxes are usually in pretty poor condition, though the games are usually just fine.

The rest of our toys, games, manipulatives are somewhat "neatly" placed in a corner between DS's IKEA easel and 3 shelf bookshelf(at capacity). We have a couple of plastic bins, but I'd really LOVE to be a bit more organized than I am currently. Alas, wouldn't we all just love to be a bit more organized :D

Yes, this is all the same stuff I'm looking to find homes for. Maybe if we condense our laundry room as suggested above, we could do a IKEA shelving unit in there for everything....hmmmm!

Thanks for all these ideas. I love to know how other people function. :)

Right now everything (besides books) is between a little 20"ish wide linen closet with built in shelves and free standing plastic shelves we put in the walk in pantry. Everything used to be crammed in the buffet but it was never organized. I don't like using up that whole closet for things that aren't used on a day to day basis (like extra boxes of markers) so I really want to get a bunch of plastic containers to organize them then put them up on a high shelf in a closet.

Each child has his/her own box with scissors, gluesticks, pens, pencils/crayons, pencil sharpener, and eraser that stays at his/her workspace (and is easily portable for co-op). That really cuts down on a lot of wasted time, looking for something.

Art supplies live in a big, wooden jelly cabinet. I keep most things in plastic bins or plastic pencil boxes, which all stack nicely. Paintbrushes, extra pencils, stuff like that live in glass jars, which I keep in the cabinet on a turntable.

I've never posted pictures before, so I'll try this one first and then post others. My very nice-sized closet has a tabletop built into the wall on one side. We are renting this house, this room was listed as a study, I guess because of the tabletop. We can tell it was once a laundry room. I have a cheap wooden shoe rack sitting on the tabletop with cheap bins on it to store printed Montessori 3 pt or nomenclature cards, or other small printables. These are in labeled ziploc bags. The bins on top tend to catch other misc things. (I think those are bird feathers sticking out at the top!!!)

post-33128-13535087817815_thumb.jpg

Looking into the closet, the tabletop is on the right (you can see the shoe rack with the bins on the right in the first pics). A 15-cube bookshelf is on the left, homemade bookshelves straight in front. Those are the ones dh built for our laundry room at our old house.

In the third picture you can see how I store art/craft/small manipulatives. Empty mayonnaise jars and peanut butter buckets. Then below that I've used cardboard boxes to hold extra supplies. Extra puzzles/games are just stacked neatly on the shelf so that I can see them and hopefully remember to pull them out sometimes!

post-33128-1353508781825_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087818453_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087818668_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087818038_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087818038_thumb.jpg

post-33128-1353508781825_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087818453_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087818668_thumb.jpg

Okay, one more...

This is the 15-cube shelf to the left when you look into the closet. I've used a variety of magazine holders, tubs with lids, and cardboard boxes to organise everything. I reorganised not long ago and came up with extra room, so I've got some that are empty. Those black cardboard boxes hold plastic envelopes with themed printables in them. I have an empty box ready to hold more! The coloured folders in the box on the bottom shelf (next to the felt boards) actually hold originals that I've made copies of- like reproducible logic workbooks, SL IGs, etc. In the second picture you can see a stack of coloured paper on top of a bin, I can't figure out how to store it so that it is flat but easy to see and easy to access, without spending a ton on paper racks.

This bookshelf looks too nice to hide in a closet but when we moved to this house it fit perfectly. It's actually a cheap one from a discount store. And it holds everything nicely, so into the closet it went!

Posting these because I would love to see everyone else's! Do share!

post-33128-13535087818873_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087819109_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087819327_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087819538_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087819746_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087818873_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087819109_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087819327_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087819538_thumb.jpg

post-33128-13535087819746_thumb.jpg

This is ours. The shelves and bins on the bottom are from IKEA. The bins on the bottom hold all of the crayons, markers, scissors, glue, etc., all the stuff that I don't want to look at all the time, I put them in there. They are separated by smaller snapping containers inside the bins.

Did you get those bins from IKEA recently? If so, which ones are they?

Ohhhh...nice price! Are they sturdy?

They seem to be. They come flat, and you fold them out and they have a zipper across the bottom. You zip them up and then a harder cardboard piece goes along the bottom. They are like those similar bins at Target, but a different size, and they are a lot sturdier than those, IMO. I have them packed full and they do fine pulling them in and out. I don't know how they'd be to carry them all over the house or anything but just sitting on the shelf and sliding in and out for what we need, they work really well.

They seem to be. They come flat, and you fold them out and they have a zipper across the bottom. You zip them up and then a harder cardboard piece goes along the bottom. They are like those similar bins at Target, but a different size, and they are a lot sturdier than those, IMO. I have them packed full and they do fine pulling them in and out. I don't know how they'd be to carry them all over the house or anything but just sitting on the shelf and sliding in and out for what we need, they work really well.

Thank you!