Menu

Can you share your first grade language arts plan

ItoLina

Here's what I used with my older four kids as first graders, and it's what I plan to use again when my youngest two are there.

Grammar: First Language Lessons by Susan Wise Bauer

Phonics: Phonics Pathways, BOB Books, Nora Gaydos readers, www.starfall.com, and Leapfrog videos

Writing: just copywork, pulled from books we were reading for something anyway, starting with one, small, simple sentence about three times a week, building up to a longer, more complex sentence daily by the end of the school year

Literature: lots of good books read aloud, and plenty of easy readers

I don't add spelling until they're ready for it to be their only source of phonics instruction. For some that isn't until second grade. For the fluent readers that were chomping at the bit in first grade I used A Reason For Spelling level A. It was colorful, fun, and the words were grouped phonetically. My last one used Rod and Staff's spelling instead. That series starts with grade 2, but her language arts were advanced across the board and it was a perfect fit. I don't plan on starting my last two on spelling until they're ready for the grade 2 book from Rod and Staff.

Here's what our 1st grade Language Arts plan looks like:

:willy_nilly:

Language Arts has been a struggle for us...to say the least. First we had too little (DH broke his leg, was out of work, and we had to put all our resources in to surviving). Then, DH went back to work, and I purchased too much.

Right now, we are using the free Progressive Phonics...Advanced for DS5 and Intermediate for DD6.

We are also using Spectrum Phonics for review and practice...grade 2.

We are using First Language Lessons 1, once a week...several lessons wrapped into one 1/2 hr lesson, because FLL1 is incredibly redundant (45 lessons on nouns).

We have Writing With Ease 1, which we are using twice a week...day one and day 2 on Tuesday and Day 3 and Day 4 on Thursday. Basically, a narration and copywork...the copywork is part of handwriting practice.

We are using Spectrum Language Arts to reinforce and practice the grammar skills covered in WWE and FLL. Grade 1 and Grade 2.

I have AAS2...we review (what we call Spelling Defense) on Monday...which is where I give them words to spell and they have to spell the word, and then defend their spelling, using their knowledge of spelling rules. We go over the new step, or rule on Tuesday...they get their week's spelling list which they do for handwriting practice on Wednesday, we practice on Thursday, and they have a spelling test, and dictation sentences on Friday.

When we finish Progressive Phonics, we'll work through Spectrum Reading, along with ETC for practice and review. At least that's the plan now.

I'm also looking at Learning Language Arts Through Literature as well as Moving Beyond the Page for next year.

When Ariel did first grade work, we used Dancing Bears (phonics), Zaner-Bloser manuscript, Jolly Grammar, and WWE1. She wasn't quite ready for spelling yet, but we dabbled a little with Apples & Pears before shelving it until she could read better.

Literature was selected from places like the Sonlight and AO reading lists.

Phonics: Saxon 2

Writing: Phonics Museum 1 workbook with primers (this also has phonics pages, reading comprehension, fine motor activities, etc.) followed by Logic of English Cursive, probably Pre-Scripts Words book (coming out in January at CC's bookstore)

Pre-Scripts Words book is supposed to have a verse for each letter of the alphabet (in cursive) and I believe some drawing lessons but I forget the details. I'll have to wait and see exactly what these look like when they come out. If it is too hard he can do the lower level called Letters. I may have him do the drawing lessons part during the year and do the cursive in the summer after he's finished LOE's book so he already knows how to write in cursive before doing this.

Reading: McGuffey 1st Eclectic Reader (oral reading), Veritas Press 1st grade literature guides and all living books in 1st grade from their site

Not sure if this counts, but we also use Latin's Not So Tough 1 and Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek 1 in first grade and we love them.....

And they memorize English grammar definitions as well as Latin declensions, conjugations, or vocabulary from Classical Conversations....

They memorize poetry from Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization (from IEW) as well.

I ask for oral narrations from many things we do and for history they have to write one sentence about each of our timeline cards (that is 1-2 sentences a day). I am undecided about how much copywork they will do in history and science next year. Timeline card titles and dates are easy but I'm not sure science sentences or history sentences are doable yet.....

Here is what we are doing:

Grammar & Writing - copywork and sentences we create; I am teaching grammar (though he knows quite a bit about the parts of speech just listening to his brothers' lessons) and sentence structure through copywork/sentence creation.

Spelling & Phonics - All About Spelling

Reading - He's about done with Little Bear books and will start Frog & Toad this week.

Literature - fairy/folk/tale tales, fables, classic literature (we did Beatrix Potter last year; we have read Winnie the Pooh this year and plan on doing The House at Pooh Corner and the three My Father's Dragon books as well)

DD6 is 1st grade age..

Primary Language Lessons

R&S Spelling 2 but she'll start 3 soon

Poetry Memory Work

Story Starters because she loves them.

Explode the Code Online for fun review

Grammar Songs

She reads aloud to me from a book everyday, I read aloud and she reads a lot independently too.

Phonics: We finished phonics so she does occasional review through the Hay Wingo Primer.

Reading: Lippincott Basic Reading (1963 edition) 2-1 and (in two days) 2-2

Handwriting: Peterson Directed Handwriting

Spelling: Webster's Speller

Extra Reading: Beatrix Potter, My Naughty Little Sister, Open Court 63 version, McGuffey

My DD is in 1st this year.

We use:

Poetry for Copywork

Narration from our readalouds

We started the year using Spelling Mechanics Homeschool Word Study for spelling, but it was a tad cumbersome for me, so we've switched back to using HOD's built in spelling for now. I'm looking at AAS though.

We were also using HOD's grammar lessons, but I felt they were too light, so we're getting ready to start FLL 1.

We are almost done with the emerging reader list from HOD as well.

Oh! We also finished up Abeka's A Handbook for Reading and we use ETC to reinforce the phonics.

Phonics: Explode the code

Grammar: FLL

Handwriting : New American Cursive & Daily Journal

Reading: Little Bear & Little Critter (When she finishes a Little Bear story I let her watch the movie version on Amazon Prime)

Spelling : Week by week spelling packets

Literature: We read one major read-aloud a month. (November is- A Little Princess).

One weekly read-aloud that goes with the theme we are working on (ex: Bat week = Stellaluna)

One monthly Caldecott Book and this moths is Prayer for a Child .

We also do two fairy tales a month (The Emperors new clothes

& Red Riding Hood ) we read several versions of each fairy tale and compare the differences and similarities.

Plus any books we read through out the month along with our daily bed time story.

First grade will look very different for DS2 next year than for DS1 a couple years ago. They're different kids. DS1 was advanced in reading and understanding grammar, but he couldn't physically write more than one sentence before his hand would start hurting. DS2, OTOH, is still at the slow, painful, sounding out stage of reading, I don't think he'll understand grammar easily (he is working on correct word order at speech therapy), and has no trouble with writing and LOVES to write stories. :D

DS1 (pulled him out of school halfway through first grade):

Reading/Literature: Good chapter books - read, discuss casually

Writing: WWE1 (perfect fit)

Spelling: Finally landed on AAS, which we did through level 3

Grammar: FLL1 and 2, though I should have just started him at the 3rd grade level, and we really could have waited to do grammar at all. He picks it up easily.

DS2 (homeschooled from the beginning):

Phonics: Dancing Bears, possibly adding in R&S Phonics

Reading/Literature: Read whatever books he's capable of reading.

Writing: Copywork. May try WWE at some point, but I don't know that he could handle the narrations yet, especially the comprehension questions.

Spelling: Won't do until he's ready for R&S Spelling 2, after he's learned to read.

Grammar: If I do anything, it will be FLL1, but I may just skip it. I don't think 1st grade grammar is necessary. Long term, I will likely use R&S English with him, as I think that would be a better fit. But who knows. I have no clue how this kid will do in grammar. We may try Grammarland also, as he likes learning from stories (he does well with Life of Fred).

I have done first grade with ds a few years ago, and next year I'm doing first with dd. Here is my plan:

Grammar: copywork, narration (possibly using WWE Complete Writer as a guide)

Literature: narration of whole books

Reading: living books at level

Penmanship: GDI Book B

Phonics: Noah Webster Phonics

Spelling: through copywork, Spelling City

I am looking ahead to next year and just wondering what others are doing. What do you cover (writing, grammar, literature, phonics, etc?) Also, what curriculum are you using?

Thanks!

My first grader is using:

Phonics: OPGTR + R&S

Grammar: no formal

Writing: no formal

Literature: interest-led, just reading books together (currently the Little House series, up next is the Paddington series)

Handwriting: workbook

Spelling: no formal

So basically, we chose to hold off on spelling, formal writing, and grammar until 2nd since my DD was not yet reading strongly.

Our first grade curriculum...

Phonics: OPGTR

Spelling: All About Spelling 2

Grammar: First Language Lessons 2

Writing: WWE 1

Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears

Lots of library books and read-a-louds.

She gets intimidated by big chapter books (i.e. lots of text with minimal pictures), even though she can easily read the words. So, I let her choose shorter, smaller books to keep it fun. They are only first graders once!

Right now I'm using ABeka language arts completely, which covers phonics, reading, writing, spelling and poetry, and language. I'm thinking of switching to FLL1 for language and poetry however, AAS for spelling, and adding in some WWE1. Thanks for asking the question. :bigear:

It's my first year homeschooling -- my middle son is in 1st grade. He's been reading fluently for a couple years already.

Handwriting without Tears, 1st grade -- twice a week

I'm reading him "Mr Poppers Penguins" and having him narrate. I might move to the Little House books when we're done -- twice a week

Copywork -- I pick out a long sentence from a book he's been reading, have him copy it, then underline the nouns. We also talk about capitalizing first letters, punctuation, and might eventually get to verbs and adjectives. -- twice a week

All About Spelling - he finished Level 1 recently and I think he'll get most of the way through Level 3 this year -- four times a week

Literature -- I assign a picture book or a chapter of a longer book for him - five days a week

Poetry -- I took the list of Core Knowledge poems and plan to have him memorize them over the course of the year, about one a month -- twice a week

FLL - 3 days a week - We like the poetry, but the rest moves sooooo slow. (like someone already said, 40+ lessons on nouns!) I've been skipping/doubling some lessons. I also print some worksheets from McGraw Hill to supplement.

Spelling Workout B - 4 days a week - We started with AAS2, but that was way more than dd needed and was frustrating both of us. We are happy with the switch

WWE1 - 4 days a week - Loving this! Could easily be 2 days a week instead.

HWT1 - 2 days a week - our third year using HWT, it works.

Plaid Phonics B - 2 days a week - very straightforeward

Literature - interest lead

Here's my current first grader's language arts lineup:

phonics / spelling: All About Spelling

handwriting: Spelling Plus Dictation (using dictation sentences as copywork)

reading / writing / history: First Timeline (read and write a brief narration)

reading comprehension: McCall Harby

literature: none

grammar: none