Menu

My DD7 is devouring books but...

Hedgehogs4

They are all audiobooks. I have said often that Audible was the best purchase I have made for our homeschool, and my dd7 is devouring anything I download for her. She has listened to all of the Ramona Quimby series more than once, and tons of other really great literary books. Currently she is blasting through the Narnia books. She has listened to The Secret Garden, Pollyanna, Anne of Green Gables, Around the World in 80 Days, Tom Sawyer, The Hobbit, (all unabridged), adapted editions of Great Expectations and David Copperfield, and there are more but I can't think of them all right now.

Her actual reading skills are very meh. She has never really enjoyed reading. It is hard work for her, but she continues and tries hard and gets it done. Currently she is working through a Great Illustrated Classics version of The Wind in the Willows without difficulty, except that she has to sit down and do it and would rather not. I haven't told her that I have the Wind in the Willows on audiobook and could just as easily let her listen to it, but I want her to work through this challenge.

When she listens to the books, she can narrate back to me what has happened. She is fully engaged. She has a rich vocabulary and is very articulate.

My question is this: am I ruining her in terms of becoming a reader by always allowing her to be read to? (I also read out loud to the kids.)

Goodness no!

There are so many pieces to reading. Decoding is one of them, the one that feels the most important in the early years (and, may, indeed, be the most important at that time, depending on your perspective). But understanding story, plot, character, and so forth is also essential to becoming a reader. Having an interest and a spark in learning and finding out is essential. She's building all that up by listening to stories. It cannot possibly hurt. At some point, she'll find the decoding piece easy enough that she'll switch over, at least most of the time. After all, some of us still like to be read to.

DS can't read but is quickly going through the libraries selection of audiobooks. :) Prior to the discovery of Hank the Cowdog he hated every book and would not even consent to be read to. Now he loves books and likes to be read to. At this point liking books is more important then being able to read the books. I feel the love of books is jst as important as being able to read the books.

My son is exactly like this. And when he finally 'got' it when reading to himself, he took off. He listens to audiobooks all-the-time, but still chooses to read at night before bed (and reads without issues when it's assigned). I've just found that my son is very auditory and likes to listen to a story or music if no one is talking to him. {He prefers an audio book or radio drama, but will settle for music when doing school work.}

And he still likes to read what he's already listened to. He listened to the Thief Lord three times in one week, then asked us to buy the book for him. He told us we *HAD* to read it aloud to him because he wanted us to know the story. So we did that. He then proceeded to read it to himself.

What is she doing while listening to the books?

Usually she is just staring off into space, listening intently. Sometimes she is wandering around the house, riding in the car, sitting in bed, coloring or playing with something small. She will remain quiet like that for long stretches of time. She cannot stand to know how a story ends and therefore remains focused in order to find out the end.

I have a girl who reads voraciously and listens to audiobooks many hours each day. In fact I try to steer her away from reading towards audiobooks, so reducing reading to about 2 hours per day. I'm amazed by her vocabulary and comprehension. She doesn't talk like a 7-year old, more like an adult, although just like a teenager if we listen to some of Rick Riordan's books. We don't use a formal vocabulary or reading comprehension program because either I find that it's too easy on level or boring.

Our iPod broke, so it really sucks at this moment using a CD player that is not portable. I'm waiting for iPod 7th gen. so that we can go back to the way things were.

If your child can narrate after listening to books, and that's what my DD does, then I see no problem with just listening to audiobooks for now.

I wouldn't necessarily call the reading skills of a 7 year old who can read Wind in the Willows "meh"---just my 2 cents. :)

I would use the audiobooks that she likes as read alouds. If she'll enjoy having you read them to her and hear the story again, then imho, a human "real live" voice is always better than a recorded voice. There's nothing wrong with audiobooks, but I wouldn't rely too heavily on them.

If given a choice between reading aloud a book myself over listening to an audiobook, I would always aim for reading it aloud personally.

I'd also ask her to follow along with the book so that she makes the connection between words heard and words spoken.

While I don't see any problem with what you have described (in fact, it is a wonderful thing to be devouring audio books), I would occasionally have her follow along in the print book of the audio book she is listening to. It is good for them to see the words in print as they hear them. I do this with my 5 year old (who can read well). We recently listened to The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and I wanted her to follow along for that book. She did it begrudgingly, but in the end, liked following along. She then decided to go and reread the book herself.

Usually she is just staring off into space, listening intently. Sometimes she is wandering around the house, riding in the car, sitting in bed, coloring or playing with something small. She will remain quiet like that for long stretches of time. She cannot stand to know how a story ends and therefore remains focused in order to find out the end.

As a confirmed bookworm I have mixed feelings about audio books vs reading the actual book.

Two series that I LOVE to read have audio book versions that are horrible (the Twilight Saga and the Little House series). The way a story is read can greatly impact the way we view a character and thusly feel about a book. For example, in the Twilight books the aloud-reader would have Edward say Bella's name like he was scolding a child when in the book no such indication is given. It annoyed the heck out of me. In the Little House books the aloud-reader made Laura sound... well dumb and shallow. That almost gave me conniption fits.

Now, I am spoiled when it comes to having books read to me - my parents are both ministers. I got different voices for different characters, sound effects, and a whole host of other fun things. One of the best aloud-readers that I have ever head is Patrick Stewart. His reading of Reepicheep in one of the Narnia book was AMAZING.

So I am torn. Your daughter is listening very carefully to the books, but the performances may not be great and may create a dislike for some books in her. On the other hand making her read all the books may make her dislike reading. On that third hand that we mothers often with for, it may make no difference at all.

The other issue is increasing her reading skills. The Wind in the Willows version she is reading is listed by Amazon as being at her reading level - six years old and up. It is adapted, simplified and shortened. This is all well and good, but there are so many great books out there that are her reading level and still whole rather than changed. I, personally, struggle with adaptation of books. While it can be an introduction to the book and make it earlier to like the whole book later on it can also lead to a child saying "oh, I already read that one". Then they skip the whole book altogether and never get to the deeper meaning the whole book had.

Next would be the issue of learning to read hard words, getting new words in their heads, and learning to spell. I agree with people that claim that when a child sees the word it slips into their brain with greater ease with the correct spelling. When we just hear a new word we don't necessarily learn the spelling. The drawback to this would be "reading pronunciations". This is one of my personal downfalls.

For my own family I chose to keep audio books for road trips, which we have to do quite often. I'm very picky about who does the reading and to make sure we don't get abridged versions. My preference is to have the actual author read their own work. Neil Gaiman is a GREAT author and aloud-reader, we love his aloud-reading of Coraline. There is one series that I oddly prefer the audio version of, and that is The Series of Unfortunate Events. Tim Curry is great.

Now for the honest bit - with all I've said I will admit that my own child is not big on reading or audio books. All my thinkiness about books, and my actions, may have backfired on me. Really, I have no idea how my ex and I, along with our family histories, manged to produce a non-bookworm.

Those are my thoughts on books, audio books, and readers. They are mixed and your mileage may vary :001_smile:

And he still likes to read what he's already listened to. He listened to the Thief Lord three times in one week, then asked us to buy the book for him. He told us we *HAD* to read it aloud to him because he wanted us to know the story. So we did that. He then proceeded to read it to himself.

This is so sweet! I love that he wanted you to read it too.

As a confirmed bookworm I have mixed feelings about audio books vs reading the actual book.

Two series that I LOVE to read have audio book versions that are horrible (the Twilight Saga and the Little House series). The way a story is read can greatly impact the way we view a character and thusly feel about a book. For example, in the Twilight books the aloud-reader would have Edward say Bella's name like he was scolding a child when in the book no such indication is given. It annoyed the heck out of me. In the Little House books the aloud-reader made Laura sound... well dumb and shallow. That almost gave me conniption fits.

Now, I am spoiled when it comes to having books read to me - my parents are both ministers. I got different voices for different characters, sound effects, and a whole host of other fun things. One of the best aloud-readers that I have ever head is Patrick Stewart. His reading of Reepicheep in one of the Narnia book was AMAZING.

The good news is that of these books we have read we have only come across one narrator that we don't like. I could not get through Little Women because the narrator made Jo sound too man-ish. Drove me crazy. All of the books have been read with voices, etc. The BEST was the Wizard of Oz read by Anne Hathaway. Hilarious! Henry Huggins was read by Neil Patrick Harris--phenomenal, and Ramona Quimby was read by Stockard Channing, who represented the whole family perfectly through the whole series, and even grew with them. We have listened to others who are not as famous, but equally as good. I loved the reading of The Secret Garden. That reader (Finola Hughes) could do a lovely Yorkshire accent and my daughter walked around speaking Yorkshire for days after listening to the book (twice).

I too am spoiled. Mom was a thespian English teacher and I, too read to my kids with voices and accents, etc. They love it. Most of the time we are all listening together, which I love because I do find reading aloud to be a bit tiring.

So I am torn. Your daughter is listening very carefully to the books, but the performances may not be great and may create a dislike for some books in her. On the other hand making her read all the books may make her dislike reading. On that third hand that we mothers often with for, it may make no difference at all.

The other issue is increasing her reading skills. The Wind in the Willows version she is reading is listed by Amazon as being at her reading level - six years old and up. It is adapted, simplified and shortened. This is all well and good, but there are so many great books out there that are her reading level and still whole rather than changed.

It is for her curriculum.

I, personally, struggle with adaptation of books. While it can be an introduction to the book and make it earlier to like the whole book later on it can also lead to a child saying "oh, I already read that one". Then they skip the whole book altogether and never get to the deeper meaning the whole book had.

Next would be the issue of learning to read hard words, getting new words in their heads, and learning to spell. I agree with people that claim that when a child sees the word it slips into their brain with greater ease with the correct spelling. When we just hear a new word we don't necessarily learn the spelling. The drawback to this would be "reading pronunciations". This is one of my personal downfalls.

Still working on this with OPGTR and McGuffey Readers, and as well as other books. We emphasize phonics. It just doesn't come as naturally to her as it did for me, I think.

For my own family I chose to keep audio books for road trips, which we have to do quite often. I'm very picky about who does the reading and to make sure we don't get abridged versions. My preference is to have the actual author read their own work. Neil Gaiman is a GREAT author and aloud-reader, we love his aloud-reading of Coraline. There is one series that I oddly prefer the audio version of, and that is The Series of Unfortunate Events. Tim Curry is great.

Now for the honest bit - with all I've said I will admit that my own child is not big on reading or audio books. All my thinkiness about books, and my actions, may have backfired on me. Really, I have no idea how my ex and I, along with our family histories, manged to produce a non-bookworm.

Don't worry--there may be something else lurking there. My sister was born with a book in her hands and has a library that would curl the average reader's toes, but her daughter is not a reader. On the other hand she is a phenomenal portrait painter and fine artist. She'd rather listen to a book.

Those are my thoughts on books, audio books, and readers. They are mixed and your mileage may vary :001_smile:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoy seeing what other people feel about it because, as you can see I have mixed feelings too or I wouldn't have asked the question!

Where do you get all the audio books? I would like to listen to the Ramona Quimby books myself.

I have a platinum membership to Audible.com. and an app on my phone / iPad. They can also be loaded as files onto my computer. It is the best $14.95 / month I spend. That is the most expensive membership, (i.e. there are less expensive versions) but we use it! You are not just renting the books--you own them. You can preview the books to see if you like the narrator, and if you don't like one there is a return policy (with a time limit). We have only had one narrator we didn't like, as I mentioned above.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

Currently she is working through a Great Illustrated Classics version of The Wind in the Willows without difficulty, except that she has to sit down and do it and would rather not. I haven't told her that I have the Wind in the Willows on audiobook and could just as easily let her listen to it, but I want her to work through this challenge.

Which Wind in the Willows did you get on Audible? I tried reading that aloud to the kids and I was having an awful time. :lol:

Which Wind in the Willows did you get on Audible? I tried reading that aloud to the kids and I was having an awful time. :lol:

I actually own the cd's of this book, so I don't need to get it on Audible, however, I will listen to anything read by Shelly Frasier. She is wonderful to listen to.

This is the one I would get from Audible if I were going to get it there.

I joined Audible back in 2004....for myself.

Now, 8 years and 2 Audible accounts later I won't TELL you how many audio books we own.

My DS14 hated to read. It wasn't until the past year or two that he enjoys reading certain series. But, he loves to listen to audio. Right now he is listening to Kipling, but just a few days ago he was finishing up the Percy Jackson series (again).

Listening to audio books is a great way to encourage the love of books.

Kris

Goodness no!

There are so many pieces to reading. Decoding is one of them, the one that feels the most important in the early years (and, may, indeed, be the most important at that time, depending on your perspective). But understanding story, plot, character, and so forth is also essential to becoming a reader. Having an interest and a spark in learning and finding out is essential. She's building all that up by listening to stories. It cannot possibly hurt. At some point, she'll find the decoding piece easy enough that she'll switch over, at least most of the time. After all, some of us still like to be read to.

:iagree: My kids love audio books! :D

My preference is to have the actual author read their own work.

I heard part of an audiobook my daughter was listening to (after I'd read the book myself) and thought outloud, "This lady doesn't understand this book at ALL!" Turns out the reader was the author (Tamora Pierce). She was awful! So, while I normally agree with the above, it isn't always true.

Okay, back to the original question. My dd#2 is an audiobook fiend. She listens to books on CD, books on my mp3 player (both from the library (Overdrive) and from Audible), and books on tape (library + my collection from when I was younger). She draws while she listens.

She's never been a strong reader, but we work on reading every day. She slowly started reading chapter books (Magic Treehouse, Puppy Patrol, etc.) for fun. She still preferred her audiobooks, however. Then, she started reading the picture books we picked up at the library to her younger siblings -- without me prompting her.

Then, this summer, she picked up a book at the library (in the buy-for-25 cents-section) called "Magykal Papers" because the cover was really neat. She was a bit confused by it, but thought it was interesting. She asked for the "other books" that it showed inside. I picked one (Book One: Magyk) up from the library, but it was 608 pages! :eek: She quickly got bogged down & quit.

I checked out the audiobook (mp3) from the library. It had great music in between chapters, she said, and she loved the storyline. She listened to it over & over again. (I had to check it out multiple times for her.)

That was the only one of the books they had on mp3, so I ended up getting Books 2 & 3 for her from Audible. I put off getting Book 4 because I was trying to drag out the series a bit for her since the 7th book is due out in the spring. She foiled me by checking out Book 4 at the library - all 624 pages of it.

She finished it in just over a week!

She's now onto Book 5. :hurray:

Makes my mother's heart go all pitter-patter. And tells me that I was on the right track with working on reading *at her level* everyday plus letting her go hog-wild with audiobooks. As long as there aren't LDs, it CAN work. (And even if there are LDs, at least they are getting the information from the books somehow.)

Don't let audiobooks substitute for you reading aloud. Don't let them substitute for working on reading with that child. But they can be a great supplement!

Edited by RootAnn