Menu

I need a hug.

After making it known for years that I would *never* put my kids in the local (lousy) PS, I am enrolling them this afternoon.

:crying:

There is too much conflict among us all at home. The kids are doing their schoolwork but our relationships are all tense and angry. I'm worn out from dealing with their attitudes all day and my husband is tired of me being a cranky bear from dealing with their attitudes all day. Saturday night, he insisted that we take a break from hs.

My kids are excited to try PS. They are tired of the fighting, too.

:grouphug::grouphug: I've had to do this with my dds, and I wanted to homeschool all the way through. It's not worth it if they are fighting about it all the time. I put one in at a time (2/3 of my dc are in now). I'm only homeschooling one, and the fights are greatly reduced. If it were in his best interests, I'd probably put him into ps next year as he really wants to go, but it would hurt him more than help, but we're going to try to put him in part time next year.

If I hadn't done this, my relationship with my eldest would have been totally destroyed, and things would be very bad with my middle one. As it is, they are doing well & aren't getting into trouble (their social lives are all about extracurricular activities as that's what the kids in their classes do.)

Edited by Karin

Thank you for the encouragement.

I'm feeling better about everything.

It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure it will become clear pretty quickly if it's the right decision for us.

In the mean time, I can enjoy having a little more breathing room in my daily schedule.

:grouphug: My 14yo daughter has asked to go to public school next year. I had also assumed that we were going all the way through high school. What a mix of emotions ... shock, sadness, guilt, annoyance, etc. I'm going to miss her so much! It has made me realize that at some point I may end up putting my baby in public school too. Sigh, this is not matching my vision, but I know that it won't be the end of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Please do not worry about it,hope is the best key for the every success..I have two kids i loved him very much..when both go for a school we are alone and sad..because too much boring after that..both kids are fully confident and not worried about the teacher...

Edited by Remno

In the past I always justified my homeschooling by saying that I was choosing what was best for my child's education and also for our family. This year I have also had to realize that it was best for us to try one of the online public school options.

I never envisioned this, but have come to the point where I think it is best for all of us. The online ps will be a good half way point between traditional homeschooling and the PSEO (community college) program dd wants to attend for her junior and senior years.

I am going to relish just being her mother for a while, not her teacher, counselor, etc. also. BTW, I am STILL in charge of her education! I have just decided to outsource the academic part of it for a while. Depending on how that goes, I will make a determination regarding whether to continue to pursue that option or to make additional changes as needed.

My oldest DD (14) decided to go to public school this year for 9th grade. You know what? It has been an all-around fantastic experience. I've been shocked and impressed with the academic rigor and pleasantly surprised by the social scene. Sure there are negative influences there, but it hardly phases my daughter and she is thriving. The foundation she has from being parented intentionally and homeschooled up to now, will ensure she has a wonderful experience there. The stress of being her teacher has been removed and now I can just be mom.

My second DD (12) spent the day yesterday at our local middle school. Without her sister at home, she is sad and lonely. She is a much more social child and wants to be around others all day. Though she will not get the academic challenges she does at home, it will be a better place for her. She has agreed to 'summer school' writing and math and will begin at the school second semester (late January).

After that, I will be able to concentrate my energy on my homeschooled 8 year old (who ADORES the thought of some 1-on-1 time with mom while the other three are at school). My preschooler will get more read-alouds on the couch and more age-appropriate play and cuddles in the mornings before school. Everyone wins! Heck, my husband might even get some attention!:tongue_smilie:

Don't beat yourself up about it and embrace the change!

:grouphug:

We were getting to that point here too this year....but decided to keep them home. I needed to make this determination...no fighting, no deals, no negotiation.....this is what you are doing....and you are having a good attitude about it....and if you don't really....pretend until you do.....because the schools here are really lousy, and quite frankly....not the best atmosphere. When the PS card was off the table, I took some time to reassess what needed to be accomplished, both academically, and as a family....

It wasn't easy....and I had to cut myself off from all outside input....message boards, Facebook, well meaning friends and family, etc. everyone had an opinion, But not everyone was in my shoes....

Anyway, maybe a few months in PS will be good for your kids and you....maybe not. I do not think it is good to make such important decisions in the height of emotion.....so, maybe a few weeks to calm things down, take a break and bake cookies, love on each other, enjoy the last few days of fall....and make the decision about school, discipline and family dynamics in a calmer atmosphere.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I am sorry you are having a rough time. You are not alone. This homeschooling thing can be really hard.

Faithe

I really REALLY wish this option was available in my state. REALLY! It seems the best of all worlds.....and if it were available I would be ALL OVER IT!!!

In the past I always justified my homeschooling by saying that I was choosing what was best for my child's education and also for our family. This year I have also had to realize that it was best for us to try one of the online public school options.

I never envisioned this, but have come to the point where I think it is best for all of us. The online ps will be a good half way point between traditional homeschooling and the PSEO (community college) program dd wants to attend for her junior and senior years.

I am going to relish just being her mother for a while, not her teacher, counselor, etc. also. BTW, I am STILL in charge of her education! I have just decided to outsource the academic part of it for a while. Depending on how that goes, I will make a determination regarding whether to continue to pursue that option or to make additional changes as needed.