Menu

Has Anyone Used Rod & Staff English for Writing as Well?

tagglelim

We are currently using R&S 3 for grammar and we love it. I notice toward the end of the book that the lessons mention paragraphs, topic sentences, etc. I know in the later books they discuss outlining and such.

Usually I see folks here using separate writing programs, but has anyone simply used Rod & Staff? Would it be a complete writing program?

Thank you for any thoughts!

Edited by tagglelim

I know that TWTM does say that if you are using Rod and Staff, you don't need to supplement writing (at least the version I read). I have a good friend whose DD only did Rod and Staff, and then picked up with IEW in 7th grade. Her transition was flawless and she writes very well.

Of course I'm not speaking from experience. We do use Rod and Staff but started WWE this year as well. Not sure what we'll do next year.

If I were using R&S's English, it would be everything for me. I see no reason to try to use only the grammar; if I want only grammar, I'm going to use something that's, you know, only grammar, like Winston Grammar or Easy Grammar.

SWB reviewed R&S's English and said that it was "enough" writing. I don't think it's necessary to qualify that by saying "as long as you do writing in other subjects, and copywork, etc." because we'd all do that anyway, right?

R&S's English series is a comprehensive grammar and composition course.

Yes, my 7th grader used only R&S for grammar and writing for 3rd through 6th grade. I was satisfied, although she does like to write and would do it outside of the lessons as well. This year we changed it up and are doing just the grammar portions of R&S for my 5th and 7th graders and they are both working through WWS1 for more intensive writing.

Erica in OR

Hmmm - this is all very encouraging! We use WWE in addition to R&S right now, but, as others have mentioned, I want to streamline a bit more. We use narration in our history and literature. Perhaps if we added dictation there, we could drop WWE.

But it is almost like an additional writing program is a security blanket. I like WWE. I don't know why I'm nervous at the idea of dropping it. I do remember reading what TWTM said about R&S being complete....why am I nervous?

Anyway, hearing others' success is very encouraging. I'd love to hear more. :tongue_smilie: But please post if you disagree as well! I'd like to hear why.

We are using R&S now and I have tried to do separate grammar/writing in the past. I found it hard to get the kids to want to write for a program after writing spelling words and grammar sentences. I am so happy this year how it's going I plan on sticking with it until 7th grade and then bring in a writing program in a class locally or IEW at home. I may look at WWS as we get closer but IEW is my current plan.

But honestly, when we were doing grammar and writing as individual subjects my son just hated it. Now he does the lessons and likes the break from grammar to write, and the break from writing every single day. He has to write in other areas but I do think it's enough. I only plan a full writing program before high school to make sure he has a grasp on the different papers he will need to write.

I wish I had stuck with R&S when we first tried it years ago.

I cannot speak from experience, but I have read all the threads I could find on this topic. We have R&S English lined up starting next year or maybe 3rd. I do not plan to add any extra writing programs. I think the consensus is that the writing starts off light, but ramps up later. Also, you should be transferring some of the writing skills to other topic areas (science, history, etc).

I'd love to hear more from those that have BTDT, too. I love the idea of having all my English/grammar/writing needs covered in 1 fell swoop! :)

But honestly, when we were doing grammar and writing as individual subjects my son just hated it. Now he does the lessons and likes the break from grammar to write, and the break from writing every single day. He has to write in other areas but I do think it's enough. I only plan a full writing program before high school to make sure he has a grasp on the different papers he will need to write.

I wish I had stuck with R&S when we first tried it years ago.

This is my daughter. After all the writing involved with spelling, Latin, grammar, history, and soon-to-be literature, the girl is burnt out. She will do the work faithfully, but claims to loathe it.

Thank you for the responses so far! I am so happy to hear these success stories because I'd rather invest solid time on a single solid program than burn the candle at both ends, ya know?

I have R&S 3. Thought is was great but didn't really see a lot of wrtiting. Now I see that writing comes later. I also see from examples that grammar exercises lead up to writing assignments. I really like this. What I can't see from the examples is how larger assignments are broken up. My dd needs hand holding through a report or essay or research paper. Does it take it one step at a time? (showing how to take notes, how to record notes, how to organize notes, etc...) That's the kind of stuff we need.

Thanks for the thread!

What I can't see from the examples is how larger assignments are broken up.

Yeah, I'm wondering that, too. I have a thread about grammar on the logic stage board. I'm thinking about switching to R&S 5 and continuing with that until high school. We have a used curriculum store here and I'm going there today to actually *look* at it in person. It's so hard to decide if you like something by a 2-page sample on the internet!

I was originally looking at R&S for just the grammar, but then it dawned on me that I wouldn't have to buy a separate writing program every year. That would help us out (we're not millionaires this year :tongue_smilie: ). I have 4 kids and the homeschooling costs really add up.

I have R&S 3. Thought is was great but didn't really see a lot of wrtiting. Now I see that writing comes later. I also see from examples that grammar exercises lead up to writing assignments. I really like this. What I can't see from the examples is how larger assignments are broken up. My dd needs hand holding through a report or essay or research paper. Does it take it one step at a time? (showing how to take notes, how to record notes, how to organize notes, etc...) That's the kind of stuff we need.

Thanks for the thread!

:lurk5::lurk5::bigear:

We have just finished R&S English 6 and DS11 has used R&S English from the beginning. As the child progresses each year, the amount of composition required also goes up. It is tempting to switch when you see the programs that have your kids writing stories, essays, etc at an earlier age. When it comes down to it; though, we are laying a solid foundation. Most of the time when I am tempted to switch, it is due to the little green monster. It looks good and so-and-so is raving about it and before you know it I am drooling over it. However, R&S is cheap, durable, mostly non-consumable, and gets the job done well. I know of two different families that used R&S (and nothing else) and their children have scored 36s on the grammar portion of ACT. As a bonus, R&S only goes up through the 10th grade. If you really want to add a writing program, I suggest doing IEW or Write Shop for 11th and 12th.

HTH

Suzie

Thanks for the thread!

Yes, it does break it up. One lesson will cover taking notes. A homework assignment will be given to take notes. Don't lose that homework assignment!(Don't ask what will happen if a dc has to do those notes AGAIN!:tongue_smilie:) Later in the chapter those notes will be used to organize an outline. And so on.

The writing really is well done in the series. In level 8, we just covered a lesson in creating unity in a multiple paragraph paper. Very timely for us. It is something I've noticed we've needed to work on with our history writing.

Thank you to the more experienced R&S users that have posted! I was wondering how the higher-level writing was broken down and you have helped to answer. And thank you to those that thought to ask that!

It sounds like I could use R&S all the way through and then maybe add a touch of IEW in high school. Or is high school too late to start IEW? Is there a beginner high-school level? Or would we just jump into the middle?

I like this! I find it interesting that I haven't yet heard any negative reviews on utilizing R&S's writing. The grammar is so popular, why don't more use the writing? I think I might now. I like WWE, but I like streamlining more. If I can do that while retaining the quality of education, well then.... :tongue_smilie: