Menu

SOTW- can I skip the activity book?

Mrs. Lilac

We're doing SOTW 1 and I have it all neatly scheduled out with about a chapter a week of the reading, and adding on the maps, coloring page, and activity from the Activity Guide. Strangely, the kids are LOVING the reading, but not digging the add-ons. They get frustrated when I want to stop reading after one chapter. I'm having trouble deciding if this is a situation where I toss the AG and just read the book to them (they ARE retaining a lot just from that), or a situation where I need to push them to do the AG stuff.

You can do whatever works for your family. Maybe you could read one day and do an activity the next. That way they aren't waiting too long. We have the same issue with our science. My dd loves her science book and wants me to just keep reading. I chose to keep our activities because she enjoys them. It's just hard for her to wait on the reading.

We're doing SOTW 1 and I have it all neatly scheduled out with about a chapter a week of the reading, and adding on the maps, coloring page, and activity from the Activity Guide. Strangely, the kids are LOVING the reading, but not digging the add-ons. They get frustrated when I want to stop reading after one chapter. I'm having trouble deciding if this is a situation where I toss the AG and just read the book to them (they ARE retaining a lot just from that), or a situation where I need to push them to do the AG stuff.

Yes. You can skip it if not a good fit. Mine also loved the reading not the add-ons. We did all 4 books in one year, read (or audio listened to) a number of times. Much was learned and even, amazingly enough, retained without the AG, or anything but the reading. And he still loves it. It is hard to get him to focus on US History this year as he still prefers SOTW.

There are many alternatives to the AG. Just read and discuss. Do narrations or summaries. Use MapTrek or some other source for maps. Use your local library or Amazon or GoodReads as a book resource. Use History Odyssey instead, which uses SOTW as one book among many.

It's your school; run it your way.

Guest mamadance

We just listen to it on audiobook over. and over. and over. We will go onto to map work when they are bored with listening but its been 6 months so I have lost hope LOL

Do whatever you want, without guilt!

That said, we loved the AG. It was the best part of SOTW! We fed the hunger for "more of the story" by both reading aloud more historical fiction and doing free reading tied in.

I didn't use the coloring pages until the second year, but used the maps every year. Loved SOME of the activities--esp Year One, but we didn't do one every single time. Pick and choose what works.:001_smile:

We do the reading and listen to audio. I focus on 1 chapter each week and we do the questions and map work. DD then listens to nearly the entire thing up to the current chapter on her own, over and over. This is our first cycle for first grade and though I am trying to cultivate the chronology, the voluntary repetition is helpful.

I didn't like the AG, so I would obviously say yes.

I thought the projects were mostly lame and I found better ones on my own. I thought the book suggestions were good, but I just got what ever I found at the library anyway. I didn't need the coloring sheets. The narrations were stilted in my opinion. I didn't need the review questions. The map work is good, but not worth the book.

We do the reading and discussions, and the maps. My kids don't like to color, so we don't do the coloring pages. We do some of the projects; it depends on what they are. My kids aren't really into the "make a necklace/crown/article of clothing" sorts of projects, but they liked the sugar cube pyramids, and we're planning an African dinner for this week. They like food.

No, you may not miss any activities. Susan's Secret Activity Police will be at your house to arrest you if you do. :lol:

You can do whatever works for your family. Maybe you could read one day and do an activity the next. That way they aren't waiting too long. We have the same issue with our science. My dd loves her science book and wants me to just keep reading. I chose to keep our activities because she enjoys them. It's just hard for her to wait on the reading.

:bigear: what science book are you using?

Do whatever you want, without guilt!

That said, we loved the AG. It was the best part of SOTW! We fed the hunger for "more of the story" by both reading aloud more historical fiction and doing free reading tied in.

I didn't use the coloring pages until the second year, but used the maps every year. Loved SOME of the activities--esp Year One, but we didn't do one every single time. Pick and choose what works.:001_smile:

:iagree: