Menu

Extreme couponing?

Sure. I save a lot on makeup now. And I stockpile it (within reason) so when I run out I don't have to pay full price. Haircolor too. I pay about a third of what I used to on haircolor.

Makeup is something we buy, and with the dancing, I think I am going to join a drug store for the points. It was never really on my radar before. I do worry about certain chemicals. I would like to figure out which makeup brands are the least toxic and still work under hot lights.

About a year- 15 mos ago, I happened upon a huge amount of organic shampoos, soaps, conditioners (Phthalate-free) in a warehouse store (an actual warehouse, not Costco) and bought as much as my conscious would allow. It was sad when it was gone. Weleda etc for a $1 borders on a miracle. The store said they had bought out a failing Amazon company when I asked how on earth?

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh, you're counting make up? :tongue_smilie:

I can't even blame it all on my ballet dancer. I printed out an Elf eyeliner coupon for the first time in my life the other day. Do you know how much eyeliner ballet dancers go through in a year? lol

And actors, too.

Unfortunately, as with everything else, we have to be picky about brands in order to buy cruelty free. (Fortunately, E.L.F. is one of her approved brands, and one of the few that isn't terribly expensive.)

And actors, too.

Unfortunately, as with everything else, we have to be picky about brands in order to buy cruelty free. (Fortunately, E.L.F. is one of her approved brands, and one of the few that isn't terribly expensive.)

It's E.L.F? I have so much to learn!

What do you know about chemicals in makeup? I worry about phaylates etc.

ETA: I spelled it wrong anyway. ;) It's actually phthalate. Causes endocrine disorder, and has been banned in makeup products in Europe. You really can't get away from them. It's everywhere. Even car-seats, cars etc. I can't do much about that, but I don't want dd to put in on her skin.

Time to do my research on brands.

Edited by LibraryLover

Very little. I don't wear any at all, and my daughter is old enough and aware enough to do her own research. I don't even know what phaylates are.

Edit: Apparently, it stands for Eyes, Lips and Face, by the way.

Elf= Eyes Lips Face. Some of their products are carried at dollar stores and Target, but not much of a selection usually. The best bet is to order from their website. Cheap, Cheap, CHEAP makeup. A lot of it is only a dollar.. and they have a ton of sales, like 50% off, free shipping etc.

I LOVE 99% of the makeup Ive bought from them. I just prefer my old brand for eyeliner, mascara, and powder.

As far as I know they are a pretty good brand (ex. no animal testing, etc)

Elf= Eyes Lips Face. Some of their products are carried at dollar stores and Target, but not much of a selection usually. The best bet is to order from their website. Cheap, Cheap, CHEAP makeup. A lot of it is only a dollar.. and they have a ton of sales, like 50% off, free shipping etc.

I LOVE 99% of the makeup Ive bought from them. I just prefer my old brand for eyeliner, mascara, and powder.

As far as I know they are a pretty good brand (ex. no animal testing, etc)

I spelled it wrong. It's phthalates.

Oh yes, just one more thing to worry about. ;)

No way am I an extreme couponer but for a while I was really using coupons and saving. Dh really got on board after the first trip and seeing the total drop.

I had a nice stockpile of toilet paper, laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, toothpaste, soap & shampoo. Also had a nice stockpile of cereals and other foods that we do eat. I know alot of the stuff is processed but some of it is stuff dh just doen't want to give up and I don't want to pay full price.

We have stopped couponing for a little bit as we were getting quite a stockpile and didn't want to the stuff to go bad. It sure is nice when you run out of something to just walk to the pantry or where ever you keep your supply and get a new container. (and knowing you didn't pay full price );)

No way am I an extreme couponer but for a while I was really using coupons and saving. Dh really got on board after the first trip and seeing the total drop.

I had a nice stockpile of toilet paper, laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, toothpaste, soap & shampoo. Also had a nice stockpile of cereals and other foods that we do eat. I know alot of the stuff is processed but some of it is stuff dh just doen't want to give up and I don't want to pay full price.

We have stopped couponing for a little bit as we were getting quite a stockpile and didn't want to the stuff to go bad. It sure is nice when you run out of something to just walk to the pantry or where ever you keep your supply and get a new container. (and knowing you didn't pay full price );)

Now this sounds like what I'm hoping to accomplish. Very reasonable:001_smile:

However, that doesn't mean that I don't gawk with mouth agape at the extreme couponers! It is so fun to watch, and I have to admit, I love the idea of gettign something for nothing...even if it is MSG packages. :)

I hear ya! We don't have cable but every so often when my husband is doing something with the kids, I curl up at my brother's house and the two of us watch that show and similar ones. It's hilarious, especially with 2 glasses of wine in me. Strange sibling time but it works for us.

I just want to add that many of the coupons used on that show have been proven to be counterfeit. The CIC published a statement about "Extreme Couponing" condoning the use of counterfeit coupons and improper coupon use. One of the couponers (the teenage boy I believe) had to repay the store for some counterfeit toilet paper coupons or face charges. I'm on my phone or I would post links but of you google "Jill Catalado" she has tons of information on the show.

I used to coupon much more than I do now. I just don't have the time. However' date=' there are coupons for healthy products. I have about 20 lbs of organic carrots that I got for free as well as a bunch of organic lettuce. I also have a couple of cases of organic tomato paste and diced tomatoes that I also got for free. Coupons are great for HBA and cleaning products. I am tired of hearing that couponers are unhealthy and overweight. We try to eat mostly healthy foods and no one in my house is overweight. Just don't use those coupons for the processed food. By the way, I also have about 10 lbs of cheddar cheese that I bought for $1lb using coupons (Cabot).

We also do all the other stuff like buying in season, stocking up, cooking from scratch,etc[/quote']

Where do you get your coupons for organics?

Not that you haven't already gotten opinions, but I'm throwing mine in as well. :tongue_smilie: I have done the EC off and on a bit, but I quit for the same reasons others have said: it is too time-consuming, it becomes too hoarder-ish, there are too many junk items and we end up with too many things we don't like/won't use. I currently have lotions that I hate, contact solution that I hate and shampoo I hate, for example. I have cake mix that I don't use - I bought it thinking, "When I need to bring along cupcakes for something, I'll use these!" But I don't, because I don't want to serve other people the junk I wasn't willing to make for my own family. :tongue_smilie: So, it's sitting there, waiting for me to send it off to a food pantry or throw it literally in the trash.

There *are* coupons for things I do use, but they are about 1:10 ratio for things I don't use or want. The couponing is not worth it unless you are doing it on a large scale; it isn't worth combing through newspaper inserts if you only end up with 3-5 coupons that are even *usable*, let alone now you need to put it in the binder until that item comes up for sale.

One does better to simply buy according to sales and forget the coupons.

I think I'm gonna try that one. It is always hard for me to get through things talking about saving when the people are talking about a family of 3-5 people. Fact is that $400 may not be bad for food, toiletries, and eating out for a family of four. But I don't want to spend double that! I *can't* spend double that just because I have 8-11 people in my home depending on the month. But a family of 10 for $500, if they are eating pretty healthy? Not too bad. Wonder if they are dealing with food restrictions also....

I just told dh last night that I wasn't sure if our stores would double coupons either. It seems like that is where the real savings comes in at. Hmph..

Actually, the grocery game lady wrote an article about that when the stores started doing more restrictions. Many times, the difference isn't as big as you think once you are putting together discounts, coupons and stockpiling.

I couldn't find the article quickly, but here is a post where she does a comparison with doubling and without (btw, she also mentioned in another blogpost that over half of the areas the grocery game services, doubling is not available): http://www.thegrocerygame.com/blog?p=1663959651

HTHs,

Actually, the grocery game lady wrote an article about that when the stores started doing more restrictions. Many times, the difference isn't as big as you think once you are putting together discounts, coupons and stockpiling.

I couldn't find the article quickly, but here is a post where she does a comparison with doubling and without (btw, she also mentioned in another blogpost that over half of the areas the grocery game services, doubling is not available): http://www.thegrocerygame.com/blog?p=1663959651

HTHs,

Thank you!:001_smile:

Let me know what you think of it.

It looks great. The price book seems like a lot of initial work, but I imagine once you figure it out, it is easy.

Dawn

I think I'm gonna try that one. It is always hard for me to get through things talking about saving when the people are talking about a family of 3-5 people. Fact is that $400 may not be bad for food, toiletries, and eating out for a family of four. But I don't want to spend double that! I *can't* spend double that just because I have 8-11 people in my home depending on the month. But a family of 10 for $500, if they are eating pretty healthy? Not too bad. Wonder if they are dealing with food restrictions also....

I'm not extreme but I did save over $75 last week at the store. Most of it was toiletries, but they were brands/items we actually use. I won't need to purchase most of the items again for several months (soap, toothpaste, face wash, brush head refills, toilet paper, paper towels, etc).

I also basically purchased our Halloween candy for free, and since we always trick or treat and hand out candy it's something I would have purchased anyway.

Pasta was BOGO and I had coupons, so I've restocked the panty with WW pasta for at least the next month.

I purchased cheese and Trisquits, which we eat a lot of, at a discount.

I looked at the local flyer and knew which meats were on sale and tailored the week's menu around that.

I also took advantage of a deal on a gas card (Shell) and purchased a $50 card for only $40.

I ignore all the coupons/deals for most boxed/carp foods, but there are still deals out there that add up and help.

If it worked in my area, I would definitely go "extreme" to donate to our local food bank. I did manage to donate quite a bit for a while with non-extreme Grocery Game methods a few years ago, but not so much these days.

My local stores "reserve the right to limit coupons", though I've never had them cut me off. But they definitely limit their sales items to 4 per variety, and often set a max total. So no 100 boxes of pasta for me! ;)