Menu

Talk to me about Breyer Horses...

My 8 year old dd has asked for Breyer Horses for Christmas. Apparently one of her friends has some and introduced her to them. I looked on Amazon, but I don't know where to start. Ideally, I would like to get a few horses, some accessories and then some sort of stable. I saw a Melissa and Doug stable made out of wood. Would that work? I appreciate your help! :-)

First of all they come in a lot of different sizes. So you have to make sure the horses will fit the stable. The bigger the more expensive.

If you have any type of farm store they usually carry them, especially around Christmas time. Go look and see what you like. I did find a fabulous barn for my girls one Christmas at Sam's but never saw one again.

If you aren't set on needing new, both Craigslist and E-bay carry used models in great condition at great prices. You could opt for one new model and/or stable and fill it more easily by buying someone's collection.

:iagree:

I have not looked in a couple of years but there were some really nice collections on ebay. IMO you need a few if they want to play with the horses. I used mine like Barbies and so did my kids. They started with mine and have built their own collections. Dh and I found several going cheap at a store closing several years ago and used them for xmas and bdays for that year. We have added several since via ebay. My kids used a large green towel as the pasture and a stable from another brand.

My 8 year old dd has asked for Breyer Horses for Christmas. Apparently one of her friends has some and introduced her to them. I looked on Amazon, but I don't know where to start. Ideally, I would like to get a few horses, some accessories and then some sort of stable. I saw a Melissa and Doug stable made out of wood. Would that work? I appreciate your help! :-)

I have purchased several Breyer horses for my dd. The main problem with them is for the expense they are very fragil, the legs break off quite easily.

I have found that these are much sturdier and not as expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=schleich+horses&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aschleich+horses

I have purchased several Breyer horses for my dd. The main problem with them is for the expense they are very fragil, the legs break off quite easily.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=schleich+horses&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aschleich+horses

:iagree: Go with Schleich. We've got both types of horses. We have three Breyer horses with broken legs and they were played with gently older little girls. Now the Schleich have been played with by Little and her cousin along with my rough and tumble 3 yo nephew. They can take a beating and still look like new. DD, niece, and newphew are all getting Schleich toys for Christmas.

My DD collects Breyer models. I believe she currently has more than 60 and she will add more at Christmas. :001_rolleyes: She is older than your DD though (12) and really loves collecting them. She got her first one at age 8, I believe. She mainly collects the Traditional models, but has purchased a few Classic models if she likes them enough. She has played with them a good bit and has never broken any, but she has never played "hard" with any of her toys. If your DD tends to be rough with toys, breakage might be a concern.

She has many, many Schleich horses (and some Papo ones as well) too. They are sturdier, but much smaller.

She does have that Melissa and Doug stable, plus a couple others as well.

Very good information. Thanks so much!!! I will look at the other brand of horses as well. Does the Melissa and Doug stable fit the Traditional Horses? I guess I should look at the dimensions. I'll look on Ebay and Craigslist too. Sadly, our shopping options here in little ol' North Pole/Fairbanks AK are very slim. :p Thanks again!

Might want to also check out the Nirvana of Breyer horse collectors-Breyerfest at Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky. It's an amazing world of little girls and serious collectors from all over the world. DDS and I have a lot of great memories from attending!

Might want to also check out the Nirvana of Breyer horse collectors-Breyerfest at Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky. It's an amazing world of little girls and serious collectors from all over the world. DDS and I have a lot of great memories from attending!

I didnt know about this. Thanks for the info!

Breakage wise you do need to be careful with Breyers but we have done well overall. One of mine cracked 30 plus years ago and my dad repaired it--you can't tell today. My son broke the leg on my favorite foal by playing too rough. Dh mended it and that foal just watches now.:001_smile: That is also why they have their own. I still love my models too much to handle breakage gracefully.;) But they have not broke any more. Probably been played with several hundred hours. They still play occasionally with them at 12 and 14.

You might want to add a couple of Black Stallion books in with this gift. I have recreated many of the scenes from those books with my models. My kids loved them too.

I would look on ebay, craigslist; look in Tuesday Morning if you have one, and believe it or not, I have found them in WalMart.

I used to put them in the Treasure Box when I was a classroom teacher -- i would find them in WalMart.

TJ MAxx and Marshall's.

Wow. You gave great treasures! They are expensive!

This. We purchased the Spirit house for my dd three times. She was obsessed. They are beautiful horses!

Yes!! We've taken DD for the past two years. Breyerfest is a huge deal to Breyer lovers/collectors. :001_smile: