Menu

Fresh20 peeps - Please share hits, misses, notes

It's been a good week good us. We're doing the cauliflower and sausage bake tonight, and I know that will be a hit. The hoagies were met with approval (I even made the buns), as was the Stroganoff (though I made a salad with the kale rather than put it in the Stroganoff). DD the Elder didn't like the sauce for the tilapia, but did eat the fish and rice. Tomorrow I'm making a fall vegetable soup instead of the quinoa.... I can't abide quinoa.

I made a discovery about kale: The salad was *much* improved the second day, and just as good the third. Lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, shredded Parmesan and toasted hazelnuts.

DD the Younger tentatively tries many things, but has a limited range.

Next week looks good. I'm looking forward to roasting the chickens..... mmmmm, the aroma.

It's not even "20" next week, but rather "15." After eliminating everything I've already get only hand, I'm at 11 items on my list. :D

Going with French lentils because they braise well.

I have loved everything. DH has liked everything. And the kids, well, even the not picky ds said tonight, "Well, one of these nights I'm going to like a fresh20 meal."
:lol: Next week looks friendly to the less adventurous palate. I was so food fussy as a child, I find it hard too give the kids too much grief, but I'm tired of boring meals.

But, if I keep making and serving them, they'll eat more and more. I'm sure of it. I guess I've just been serving things I know they'll like for too long.
I'm hopeful. :001_smile:

:bigear:

Anybody have a particularly good week they want to recommend to replace next week? I have the non-chicken eater and 3 of the meals next week have chicken.

September 30, 2011

MONDAY

Mahi Mahi Wraps

Zucchini Rounds

TUESDAY

Beef Stew

Toasted Baguette

WEDNESDAY

Fennel Balsamic Lamb

Cumin Zucchini

Roasted Tomatoes

Baked Squash Wedges

THURSDAY

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Green Salad

FRIDAY

Roasted Tomato Soup

Parmesan Crisps

ground turkey OK?

October 28, 2011

MONDAY

Turkey Meatballs

*Member Favorite

Mashed Potatoes

Salad

TUESDAY

Shrimp or Chicken Pho (Soup)

Cucumber Slices

WEDNESDAY

Apple Sausage

Sweet Potato Casserole

Spicy Broccolini

THURSDAY

(Vegetarian)

Dinner Scramble

Home Fries

FRIDAY

Easy Tacos

Cumin Beans

September 30, 2011

MONDAY

Mahi Mahi Wraps

Zucchini Rounds

TUESDAY

Beef Stew

Toasted Baguette

WEDNESDAY

Fennel Balsamic Lamb

Cumin Zucchini

Roasted Tomatoes

Baked Squash Wedges

THURSDAY

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Green Salad

FRIDAY

Roasted Tomato Soup

Parmesan Crisps

ground turkey OK?

October 28, 2011

MONDAY

Turkey Meatballs

*Member Favorite

Mashed Potatoes

Salad

TUESDAY

Shrimp or Chicken Pho (Soup)

Cucumber Slices

WEDNESDAY

Apple Sausage

Sweet Potato Casserole

Spicy Broccolini

THURSDAY

(Vegetarian)

Dinner Scramble

Home Fries

FRIDAY

Easy Tacos

Cumin Beans

Ohhhhhh. The September 30th menu looks perfect. Yum-o! Thanks :001_smile:.

Have chickens. Couldn't find anything less than 4.5lb birds. Maybe those are all funneled to the rotisserie. The checkout guy was new and an avowed vegan. Had to make a show of disinfecting his hands after touching the birds. I'm not sure he'll last long.

Have chickens. Couldn't find anything less than 4.5lb birds. Maybe those are all funneled to the rotisserie. The checkout guy was new and an avowed vegan. Had to make a show of disinfecting his hands after touching the birds. I'm not sure he'll last long.

:lol:

My eldest ate a full serving of braised lentils tonight, something I am hard pressed to do at the best of times. :tongue_smilie:

My eldest ate a full serving of braised lentils tonight, something I am hard pressed to do at the best of times. :tongue_smilie:

And tonight she ate all her enchiladas. :D (DH polished off the extras.) She actually ate everything this week except for her dumpling. And her little sister ate all her roast chicken and salmon and picked out buts of chicken from the other dishes. Yay! There's hope.

Next week looks good too. I'm going to double the turkey chili and cornbread muffins for Saturday... some friends are coming over to play Agricola (someday we'll make it to the expansion with the horses).

I signed up this week with a Groupon and am enjoying it so far.

I did make it a little easier on myself by buying two rotisserie chickens instead of roasting my own, and making a chicken pot pie with pre-made pie dough instead of dumplings.

I did the lentil soup tonight but tossed in a few parsnips, an onion, fresh spinach and parsley, Italian seasoning, and diced tomatoes. The original recipe just sounded so BLAND and we're a high-flavor household! :)

I also added a side of extra veggies to every meal. It just doesn't seem like enough veggies for dinner, but that could just be our preference. I added acorn squash with the maple sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce and broccoli, earlier this week and that was really tasty. I also served the enchiladas with slices of jicama and oranges, which the kids liked.

I did the lentil soup tonight but tossed in a few parsnips, an onion, fresh spinach and parsley, Italian seasoning, and diced tomatoes. The original recipe just sounded so BLAND and we're a high-flavor household! :)

Shrimp was half price today, so I picked up a pound to add to dinner tomorrow (with the lentil soup).

I also added a side of extra veggies to every meal. It just doesn't seem like enough veggies for dinner, but that could just be our preference. I added acorn squash with the maple sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce and broccoli, earlier this week and that was really tasty. I also served the enchiladas with slices of jicama and oranges, which the kids liked.
This week seemed light on veggies... didn't even hit 20 ingredients. I added in a couple spinach salads (with chopped pear and an apple cider vinegar & EVOO dressing), but I'd bought a big tub of spinach so it was already on hand. And I always make extra sweet potatoes.... can't get enough of those. Mmmmmmmm. :D Prior to this week I hadn't added anything, as it didn't feel necessary.

Maybe it's because the plan is for 4 people and I'm using it for 5, I need to add more each night. Sometimes it's a veggie. Sometimes it's a bread. Sometimes it's a salad. Maybe it's because I got my family used to emeals and they have a veggie and starch and a bread every night. :tongue_smilie: DH wants to eat that way so no biggie. I just need to remember to look at the meals before I go to the store.

Oh and I'm the only one in the family that really likes fish. I'm getting them around to once a month and it's going ok. They usually have chicken subs for fish so it hasn't been a big deal.

Then this past week (I think I'm off a week or so) the veggie stew with quinoa, I went to chop the cauliflower and it was gone. I asked dd since she cooks and she said she used it, but the meal she made called for it. I still think what she made called for 1/2 and she used it all. (Well it all got eaten so it's fine!) I had broccoli in the fridge and used that instead. It was very green but still good.

We haven't not liked any meals. But I don't remember any home runs either.

Good thing I'd taken a good look this morning at tonight's recipe (the lentil soup). Brown rice does *not* cook in 30 minutes. :tongue_smilie:

Took 45 minutes for mine.my boys were starving but the soup was amazing.
Ours was a bit longer and, I had to add some extra broth. But I put a bit of shredded cheese on top for the kids, and they ate it right up.

We're off to Great Wolf Lodge for a couple days, and I'm not looking forward to the food there. I baked two batches of homemade granola bars (from another thread) and steeled myself to buy some single serving yogurts. That, and lunches of PB&J should help.

Ugh...I'm trying so hard to eat whole foods, fresh and organic. However, I blew our grocery budget this week (and then some) trying this week's menu. Do you think eating fresh and whole but conventional has enough benefits to help overcome the hazards of conventional food? (Not processed/boxed, but fewer/whole food-ish ingredients which are probably not organic)

Edited by photojenic

Ugh...I'm trying so hard to eat whole foods, fresh and organic. However, I blew our grocery budget this week (and then some) trying this week's menu. Do you think eating fresh and whole but conventional has enough benefits to help overcome the hazards of conventional food? (Not processed/boxed, but fewer/whole food-ish ingredients which are probably not organic)ds
Absolutely. There is little if any good evidence organic is nutritionally superior to conventional, all other things being equal.

My picky, sensitive 8yo ate every bite of her stovetop eggplant lasagna and asked for seconds! She ate eggplant... I am floored.

We just started 2 weeks ago. We are using the veggie menus, but slightly behind. Both DH and I really like the Creamy Pasta Primavera (Made Vegan style because DD can't have milk). Everyone but my picky one loved the Cheesy Tomato Tortilla Bake (we used fake cheese for DD's) from the September 21st list.

We all except picky boy again enjoyed the Potato Frittata from the September 28th list as well.

We're hoping to do the October 19th menu this week as long as we don't lose power due to the hurricane.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday's "stuffing" aka chicken bake was just bland. It needed wine or something, and more veggies: some big chunks of garlic, maybe hunks of butternut squash. This was our first unqualified miss. The rest of the week was better, though I'm not partial to super-rich mac&cheese (typically I'd use a bit of milk and two eggs for four servings). The "mexi" spices were a bit light too. Ground beef instead of turkey would have made it look a bit less like dog food methinks.

I've got my big bottle of Tsunami Stout ready for stew on Tuesday. Can't stand Guinness, so picked out something palatable, as I plan to finish the bottle while cooking. I am going to give Hanna Hart (My Drunk Kitchen) a run for her money. :tongue_smilie:

Monday's "stuffing" aka chicken bake was just bland. It needed wine or something, and more veggies: some big chunks of garlic, maybe hunks of butternut squash. This was our first unqualified miss. The rest of the week was better, though I'm not partial to super-rich mac&cheese (typically I'd use a bit of milk and two eggs for four servings). The "mexi" spices were a bit light too. Ground beef instead of turkey would have made it look a bit less like dog food methinks.

I've got my big bottle of Tsunami Stout ready for stew on Tuesday. Can't stand Guinness, so picked out something palatable, as I plan to finish the bottle while cooking. I am going to give Hanna Hart (My Drunk Kitchen) a run for her money. :tongue_smilie:

We made it a turkey bake (remember, we have the non chicken eater :D) and I changed up a bunch of stuff I can't remember off hand. It was good, whatever I did. We're actually having the soup tonight, but I remember seeing on Fresh 20's FB page the cheddar biscuits were inedible. I'll find another recipe.

I don't think I've done a single week in order, but I'm looking forward to whatever day I get to drink stout beer and cook!

ETA: Oh, and dh made the mac-n-cheese. He did use ground beef and pumped up the spices a bit. It was good.

Edited by sparrow

We made it a turkey bake (remember, we have the non chicken eater :D) and I changed up a bunch of stuff I can't remember off hand. It was good, whatever I did. We're actually having the soup tonight, but I remember seeing on Fresh 20's FB page the cheddar biscuits were inedible. I'll find another recipe.

I don't think I've done a single week in order, but I'm looking forward to whatever day I get to drink stout beer and cook!

I used my usual biscuit recipe... that looked like way too much baking soda (powder?) for 8 biscuits, and I taste it when there's too much. Uck. The soup was good, though.

I'm loving Fresh 20, it has changed my life. My dd and I feel so much better from eating so well, and are sugar cravings are markedly decreased.

We loved the turkey stuffing dish, the salmon and honey carrots, and the apple cinnamon pancakes (those were the bomb).

Am hesitant about this week's recipe with the pasta, beef, and pumpkin puree. Can't imagine the pumpkin part, but I'm gonna try.

I'm loving Fresh 20, it has changed my life. My dd and I feel so much better from eating so well, and are sugar cravings are markedly decreased.

We loved the turkey stuffing dish, the salmon and honey carrots, and the apple cinnamon pancakes (those were the bomb).

Am hesitant about this week's recipe with the pasta, beef, and pumpkin puree. Can't imagine the pumpkin part, but I'm gonna try.

Are you going to roast and puree your own? I think I'm going to buy canned.

Those carrots were indeed good (and salmon is always welcome). :D

Instead of thinking "pumpkin," think puréed squash. That's all it is. I have seeds left over from Halloween, so I'm going to cheat and use canned pumpkin.

We're having the pancakes tonight. I can't imagine they'll be anything but delicious.

If I were only interested in Fresh20 for the recipes, not the weekly plan/shopping list, do you think it would still be worth it? We already eat about 90% whole/fresh/organic, but I feel like I'm in a rut in terms of cooking the same things over and over, and the meals you guys are describing sound delicious!

We get almost all of our produce, dairy, and some meat from a CSA, so I need to plan meals around what's available from the CSA rather than from a set menu or shopping list. I'd need to be able to mix and match recipes from different weeks, and only the annual membership gives you access to ALL the recipes, right? (I checked Amazon to see if they had a cookbook, but it's not due to be published until April 2013.)

Also... has anyone tried the gluten-free version? I'm wondering if the recipes are similar, but they just leave out the bread, use rice pasta, and things like that, or if it's a whole different menu?

Jackie

Are you going to roast and puree your own? I think I'm going to buy canned.

Shoot. I wasn't going to, but there were the cutest sugar pie pumpkins at the grocery store today.

If I were only interested in Fresh20 for the recipes, not the weekly plan/shopping list, do you think it would still be worth it? We already eat about 90% whole/fresh/organic, but I feel like I'm in a rut in terms of cooking the same things over and over, and the meals you guys are describing sound delicious!

We get almost all of our produce, dairy, and some meat from a CSA, so I need to plan meals around what's available from the CSA rather than from a set menu or shopping list. I'd need to be able to mix and match recipes from different weeks, and only the annual membership gives you access to ALL the recipes, right? (I checked Amazon to see if they had a cookbook, but it's not due to be published until April 2013.)

Also... has anyone tried the gluten-free version? I'm wondering if the recipes are similar, but they just leave out the bread, use rice pasta, and things like that, or if it's a whole different menu?

Jackie

Yes, once you are a member you have access to all the past menus. I haven't used the gluten free menu, we do the classic- however, we are starting a paleo diet this week and I didn't have any problem going back through and pulling out a bunch which are gluten free.

Jackie

I'd await wait for a half price deal, but yes, I think it would be worth it. Prep and cooking time is reasonable, and the directions are usually clear and helpful, especially the fish. I'd wager that many weeks you'd be able to make substitutions depending what's in your box as the Fresh 20 menus tend to seasonal produce. Next week is parsnips, carrots, celery, russet potatoes, sugar pie pumpkins, green beans, and pears. The year-round items are lemon, red lettuce, cucumber, fresh thyme, garlic, and frozen peas.

We're doing the veg plan and it has been really successful for us. The stovetop eggplant lasagna was great here, too. The harvest bake from last week sort of intimidated me; it sounded kind of good, but also potentially really strange, so I haven't made it yet, though I have my stale baguette waiting and everything!

Yes, once you are a member you have access to all the past menus. I haven't used the gluten free menu, we do the classic- however, we are starting a paleo diet this week and I didn't have any problem going back through and pulling out a bunch which are gluten free.

How did you do this? I can't access anything but the plan I am on (Classic). I would love some GF ones as well.

We're having the pancakes tonight. I can't imagine they'll be anything but delicious.

And they were. I used w/w pastry flour to keep them light, but they probably would have been fine with regular. DD the Elder voted to make them again, but as breakfast tacos, with the pancake as the tortilla and the apple-cranberry sauce as filling. I like the way she thinks.

How did you do this? I can't access anything but the plan I am on (Classic). I would love some GF ones as well.

I think you can only access the archives of the plan(s) you're on, and only with a year's membership.

Jackie

I did this. I already cook with fresh vegetables nearly every night, but wanted some new ideas for the produce I just started getting from a co-op. I want to use what I get rather than buy food to match a menu. Also, what's in season in Florida isn't always the same as what's in season elsewhere. (Just a few examples: Local tomatoes are hard to find in summer because it's too hot. Strawberries are a winter fruit with Feb. being the best time for them. Fresh corn is in season and sweetest in November.) I paid full price for the Classic annual, and am not sorry.

I also have no problem substituting. None of us like kale though we tried. We eat enough fruits and vegetables that I don't worry about the few we don't like. I sub escarole or spinach (depending on the recipe) wherever I see kale.

Thanks for posting it! I just picked it up. DD is 'trying' to be picky, but loves to look at my cookbooks and cooking light magazines. I mainly got this so she and I can work on it together. She seems to like things when she makes them, but she can be a little lazy :tongue_smilie:. So now we've got a plan, lol.

Thanks for posting it! I just picked it up. DD is 'trying' to be picky, but loves to look at my cookbooks and cooking light magazines. I mainly got this so she and I can work on it together. She seems to like things when she makes them, but she can be a little lazy :tongue_smilie:. So now we've got a plan, lol.
I find the kids are more open to trying new things with the set menus because "This is what's on the menu tonight," doesn't feel so much like, "This is what I picked to subject you to tonight." :tongue_smilie:

I'm looking forward to every single item on the Classic Menu this week, especially the Roasted Butternut & Apple Penne Pasta with sage brown butter and walnuts (is this on the vegetarian menu too?). It had me at "sage brown butter." :D I'm going to double the jambalaya for an Agricola (best game ever!) party on Sunday.

Last week was pretty good. I wasn't crazy about the gratin, but I think I slightly undercooked it. Loved the soup and salad.