Menu

Bedtime?

What do you think is the best bed time for a 10 yr old?  

1. 1. What do you think is the best bed time for a 10 yr old?

• 7:00
    • 8:00
    • 9:00
    • 10:00
    • 11:00

Hello Hive I need your help for a quick issue regarding bedtime. My sister is 10 and currently goes to bed at varying times some days 10 some days 12 the thing is she takes a while to fall asleep ... a long while. Which means she gets up late around 9-10 in the morning. The last few nights I have had her wind down and be in bed knitting or reading by 7 and she is asleep by 8 and she gets up at 5:30 -6:00 no problem and spends the entire day bursting with energy and super happy :lol:. My question is do you think that is to early just was curious to see what others thought :).

Also a note I am 16 and have always been a person who lays in bed for hours and usually does not fall asleep till 12 or later because I just can not fall asleep. Lately though I have been falling asleep around the same time as my sis 8:30-9:00 and am up at 5:30-6:00 super duper awake but this only happens if I am in bed by 7:30 which is quite lame compared to my peers so I am curious what do you believe is a good bedtime for children?

My children had specific bedtimes because *I* needed for them to have specific bedtimes, lol.

My 10yo dc were in bed no later than 8. They didn't have to get up at a specific time; I just think children need routines, and parents need some adult time in the evening. :)

I said 8 but my kids go to bed closer to 9. I wish they were in bed by 8, however. When they go to bed at 9, they have to go right to sleep. I'd like to get them to bed by 8 and then allow them spend some time reading and decompressing before having to have their lights out.

There is no "best" bedtime - it depends on the structure of the day, when the kid has to get up, whether she needs a lot of sleep or not.

At age 10, my DS went to bed around 9 and was up before 6am.

We never enforced a bedtime; at that age, the kids had to be in their rooms at 8am because *I* needed to be done. They could do whatever they wanted as long as they did so quietly. They have been choosing their own bedtime since they were 7.

ETA: a 7pm bedtime is not realistic for most 10 year olds because that would pretty much eliminate participation in activities.

Edited by regentrude

We have been staying in hotels while dh has been working for the last 7-8 months. She often goes to be when we do at 9:30 or 10:00 and then sleeps until 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning. For now it works, when we have her in her own room again, I will try to get her down earlier but for our convenience. As long as kids get enough sleep I don't think bed times need to be set real early.

When ds was ten he would go to bed about 10. We also start school later, but he would get up around 8:30. Now he's a night owl and gets up around 10 a.m. Spending time with dad was important, that's one reason he was up later.

I don't know if your living conditions would be a factor. I know it's hard for me to fall asleep if I can hear others awake or a TV or any noise.

I would think it depends on what time she needs to get UP to determine bedtime. Ds always needs about nine to ten good hours of sleep to not be a zombie the next day.

It depends on you.

Some people have an earlier biological clock. Some people have a later biological clock.

You can adapt your internal clock to match the world to some extent, but you may not get the full amount of sleep you need if your internal clock is far out of sync with when you are actually going to bed.

It is important not to vary your sleep time too much. It's important to choose a 2-hour window for going to bed and try to always be inside that 2-hour window. All three of my girls have sleep issues and are on sleep medication as a result. Setting a window for going to bed is one of the first things they were told to do.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I voted for 9pm, but often that's not possible for us. We have several nights with activities that go until 9pm. Those nights are more like 10pm. I would love to have quiet reading time at 8pm then lights out about 8:50pm, but its not realistic with our activity schedule. But I like to have everyone up and ready for an early start. It all depends on the family situation, so if the new early bedtime is working for you, I would say go with it.

It sounds like y'all are getting second winds by staying up late. You may find that a nine o'clock bedtime is impossible, that it must be earlier or later to work at all. You might also judge your last hour or two of sleep as well as how you feel during the day. We go for earlier bedtimes and earlier wake times here. I said 8, but it would depend.

Other. I decide on a waking time then subtract the number of hours *my* child needs in order to function at 100%. This number is different for my nine year old, who needs an extra two hours of sleep. The other two oldest ones go to bed at the same time. I subtract from the wake time an extra half your to account for good night kisses, teeth brushing, good night kisses, reading, more good night kisses. You get the idea. And that is the time I encourage my children to go to bed. My youngest has a very strict self schedule. She's been this way since birth. So she let's me know when it's time for bed, and she's usually out cold within ten minutes. My son usually stays up with daddy and plays in his office while dh does his work. They go to bed together, and DS wakes up a couple of hours later than DH. I have no idea why I rambled on and on. I guess to show that each kid is different?

Edited by extendedforecast

My children had specific bedtimes because *I* needed for them to have specific bedtimes, lol.

My 10yo dc were in bed no later than 8. They didn't have to get up at a specific time; I just think children need routines, and parents need some adult time in the evening. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I said 8. At the moment my ds5 has a bedtime of 6.30 with stories in bed and is generally asleep by 7 and awake at 6. If he goes to bed at 8 he is awake at 6 but tired and grumpy. Ds3 takes another hour to go to sleep but will sleep until 7 or 7.30. I like them to be asleep by 8 so I can have a break. When they are older in their rooms might be enough though.