Menu

Now THIS is a frivolous lawsuit....

Wow. I sure wouldn't want to see my child dragged down the hall by that guy. I'm not sure I'd sue over it, but definitely it was unpleasant to watch. Is this how they normally deal with kids? Drag them down the hall? I've never seen an adult do that to a child in a school setting.

Well he was probably trying to pick him up....and probably couldn't pick him up all the way off the floor....I can't imagine it hurt his feet....he had shoes on! He was just trying to get him back in his classroom ...which he refused to go.

I agree that he was trying to pick him up and I agree that suing is probably overboard, but what that guy did was just not an acceptable way to handle things. Police sometimes have to drag adults, but it's not how I expect to see children or the elderly handled by their caregivers.

I see NO abuse here at all.....the man lifted the boy up....and took him to his class.....

http://www.wpbf.com/news/16905650/detail.html

Watch the video to the left....I can't imagine any 'abuse' here....can you all?

Tammy

I don't think that was right at all, the teacher dragging the kid. Sue-worthy? I would want more details to say it is that.

Now the following are TRULY Frivolous lawsuits. :001_huh:

In September 1988, two Akron, Ohio-based carpet layers named Gordon Falker and Gregory Roach were severely burned when a three and a half gallon container of carpet adhesive ignited when the hot water heater it was sitting next to kicked on. Both men felt the warning label on the back of the can was insufficient. Words like “flammable” and “keep away from heat” didn’t prepare them for the explosion. They filed suit against the adhesive manufacturers, Para-Chem. A jury obviously agreed since the men were awarded $8 million for their troubles.

In 1992, 23-year old Karen Norman accidentally backed her car into Galveston Bay after a night of drinking. Norman couldn’t operate her seat belt and drowned. Her passenger managed to disengage herself and make it to shore. Norman ’s parents sued Honda for making a seat belt their drunken daughter (her blood alcohol level was .17 – nearly twice the legal limit) couldn’t open underwater. A jury found Honda seventy-five percent responsible for Karen’s death and awarded the Norman family $65 million. An appeals court threw out the case.

In May 2003, Stephen Joseph of San Francisco sued Kraft foods for putting trans-fat in their Oreo cookies. Joseph wanted an injunction to order Kraft to stop selling Oreos to children. Once the media caught wind of Joseph’s lawsuit, the media blitz became too much for him to handle. He decided to drop the suit.

In 1997, Larry Harris of Illinois broke into a bar owned by Jessie Ingram. Ingram, the victim of several break-ins, had recently set a trap around his windows to deter potential burglars. Harris, 37, who was under the influence of both alcohol and drugs, must have missed the warning sign prominently displayed in the window. He set off the trap as he entered the window, electrocuting himself. The police refused to file murder charges. Harris’s family saw it differently, however, and filed a civil suit against Ingram. A jury originally awarded the Harris family $150,000. Later, the award was reduced to $75,000 when it was decided Harris should share at least half of the blame.

In 1991, Richard Harris sued Anheiser-Busch for $10,000 for false advertising. Harris (no relation to the above-mentioned burglar) claimed to suffer from emotional distress in addition to mental and physical injury. Why? Because when he drank beer, he didn’t have any luck with the ladies, as promised in the TV ads. Harris also didn’t like that he got sick sometimes after he drank. The case was thrown out of court.

In 1998, Kellogg sued Exxon because customers might confuse the gas station’s “whimsical tiger logo” with Kellogg’s mascot, “Tony the Tiger.” It didn’t matter, of course, that Exxon had already been using this logo for 30 years. A federal court tossed the suit. Kellogg appealed the case claiming the Exxon tiger walks and acts just like Kellogg’s “Tony.”

In 2003, Richard Schick sued his former employer, the Illinois Department of Public Aid. Schick sought $5 million plus $166,700 in back pay for sexual and disability discrimination. In fact, Shick was so stressed by this discrimination that he robbed a convenience store with a shotgun. A jury felt his pain and awarded him the money he was seeking. The decision was then reversed. Unfortunately, the $303,830 he was still awarded isn’t doing him much good during the ten years he’s serving for armed robbery.

In 1995, Robert Lee Brock, a Virginia prison inmate, decided to take a new approach to the legal system. After filing a number of unsuccessful lawsuits against the prison system, Brock sued himself. He claimed his civil rights and religious beliefs were violated when he allowed himself to get drunk. After all, it was inebriation that created his cycle of committing crimes and being incarcerated. He demanded $5 million from himself. However, since he didn’t earn an income behind bars, he felt the state should pay. Needless to say, the case was thrown out.

In 1996, Florida physical therapist Paul Shimkonis sued his local nudie bar claiming whiplash from a lap dancer’s large breasts. Shimkonis felt he suffered physical harm and mental anguish from the breasts, which he claimed felt like “cement blocks” hitting him. Shimkonis sought justice in the amount of $15,000, which was denied.

I do not see abuse here either. The child's body was not dragged on the floor. He did not appear to be handled violently. The soles of his feet dragged on the floor as he stubbornly refused to walk on his own. He was seeing a "behavior analyst" one can guess he probably has a history of these type of problems. Perhaps someone finally decided this time he *would* comply. The man probably deserves a medal.

The child was sitting on the sidewalk refusing to go to his class. They couldn't just leave him there. If something happened to him, they would be sued. :rolleyes:

I have seen the story of this child voted out of his class, and I think it is horrifying.

I see NO abuse here at all.....the man lifted the boy up....and took him to his class.....

http://www.wpbf.com/news/16905650/detail.html

Watch the video to the left....I can't imagine any 'abuse' here....can you all?

Tammy

The child was sitting on the sidewalk refusing to go to his class. They couldn't just leave him there. If something happened to him, they would be sued. :rolleyes:
Beansprouts

I'm with you guys on this one.

I do not see abuse here either. The child's body was not dragged on the floor. He did not appear to be handled violently. The soles of his feet dragged on the floor as he stubbornly refused to walk on his own. He was seeing a "behavior analyst" one can guess he probably has a history of these type of problems. Perhaps someone finally decided this time he *would* comply. The man probably deserves a medal.

I have seen the story of this child voted out of his class, and I think it is horrifying.

:iagree:

I don't see abuse here either. The man was simply trying to get the boy to the safety of the classroom. They most certainly COULDN'T just let him sit on the sidewalk. I'm sure there is much more to this story the mom isn't telling. There must be a reason her son is seeing a behavior analyst. I'm sure there's more background possibly including her son being in other similar situations.

I agree that he was trying to pick him up and I agree that suing is probably overboard, but what that guy did was just not an acceptable way to handle things. Police sometimes have to drag adults, but it's not how I expect to see children or the elderly handled by their caregivers.

Actually, the scene I saw in the video could have played out in my own home. I do when necessary force compliance from my children. I am as gentle as possible, but when the little bugger simply refuses to move his feet, he leaves me few options.

I do not see any abuse. That child was throwing his legs down and was being held up high enough to walk on his own. Look at the parenting there...did you see what video game he was playing?

I think that child is huge trouble. I think the parent needs parenting classes big time. Frankly, one of the many reasons to homeschool is the complete and total lack of discipline in the classroom. This looks like one of the rare times where a trouble maker was removed rather than allowed to continue and prevent everyone else from getting an education.

Something is not right with this story.

He was voted out of his classroom first (from what I gathered from the video) then dragged to his classroom. If I was voted out of my classroom I wouldn't want to be in there. The boy knew that. Autistic or not he is not stupid!! :glare:

However sueing the school district over the dragging of the boy, the jury is still out on that one (I am leaning more to the friviilous lawsuit) but for emotional abuse over voting out of the classroom is sueable!! (Pardon my grammer :D)

I do not know the video game he was watching but I do feel it is a moot point though.

I do have to drag my dd from her bedroom to the family room (she is autistic) during her temper tantrums.

I do feel for this mother but she is going a bit too far with the dragging bit. I would focus more on the voting.

Holly

He was voted out of his classroom first (from what I gathered from the video) then dragged to his classroom. If I was voted out of my classroom I wouldn't want to be in there. The boy knew that. Autistic or not he is not stupid!! :glare:

Was this the same child? I believe I missed that part.

Goodness, that's nothing compared to what my dh does to kids every day! He restrains them as they try to attack each other, keeps them from running into traffic (naked,) etc. Sometimes a little force is necessary to keep a kid safe. It's a rotten and thankless job, but someone has to do it.

And, no, if you read the article, this was not the same child voted out of class.

:iagree:

I also missed the part where he was voted out of the classroom. That would be horrifying. I didn't watch the entire video, but I certainly didn't see that in the section I watched.

I did not see his feet as "dragging". Personally I think the way parents are today when their child misbaves and refuses to do something the parent should be called to fix the situation and bring their child chld to class this would end the stupid lawsuits fast.

The child was sitting on the sidewalk refusing to go to his class. They couldn't just leave him there.

When you hear about teachers calling the police to arrest a very young student. Think back on this lawsuit. They can't leave kids to sit on sidewalks, have tantrums on tables, etc. If we don't let them touch our kids their only other option is to call the cops or allow the kids to persist in disorderly conduct.

I would ask myself if a reasonable parent would handle the situation in the same way. If the child is special ed or has emotional disturbances, would he be treated much differently by an orderly in a residential treatment program?

I did not see his feet as "dragging". Personally I think the way parents are today when their child misbaves and refuses to do something the parent should be called to fix the situation and bring their child chld to class this would end the stupid lawsuits fast.

I don't know about that.

Most of the people on our board are probably involved middle class parents, but I've made phone calls to parents who really did not care. I had a principal that made phone calls to parents in the middle of a "crisis" with a kid and the parent would basically blow it off, the principal would tell them to come down to the school to deal with a situation and they just didn't think it was necessary. "Just tell Johnny he's in trouble when he gets home." or "What did you do to my child to make him act like that?"

In one situation one of my students, after having a huge altercation in class, physically assulated the principal in the hallway. The student was drunk and it was eight oclock in the morning, the police were called and the student was arrested. The parent, the same parent who on previous occassions had suggested inappropriate remedies, then filed a lawsuit saying that the principal should have called her first! While this was in high school, I am skeptical that these all these little darlings had responsible parents back in elementary school.:tongue_smilie:

I do feel for this mother but she is going a bit too far with the dragging bit. I would focus more on the voting.

Holly

I'd bet if the school district will offer an alternative placment for the child, maybe offer to pick up his tuition at a private school and the mom would settle for that. No doubt any lawsuit is going to mention more than just the dragging incident.

From what the article says it sounded like it was the same student. Sorry about the confusion on my part. It just sounded like it was the same student.

I am talking about the voting out of class and the teacher 'dragging' the boy.

Also a question the boy being dragged....is he Autistic? or the one that got voted out of class?

thanks

Holly

This seems to have been their only alternative. Which means now the hard working Mom needs to leave work, jeopardizing her job to come and discipline her child because the school can't handle him. I see lawsuit material here also...

he has an IEP for ED (emotionally disturbed). almost always those IEPs include the kinds of restraining that school personnel are allowed to do to maintain control. if that kind of language is in his IEP, she probably doesn't have a case just based on what I saw in the video. she does state in the article that the video the school released was edited so i'd want to see those parts that are missing. but i've seen kids in ED classrooms be held flat on the floor in order to stop them from hurting themselves or others. school personnel who deal with these kids are trained in the proper restraining techniques.