Menu

neuropathy/tingling/numbness in leg post childbirth?

Anyone have this? IN labor he was pinching something....the leg pain was worse than crowning and contractions put together. Now it doesn't hurt, but i Have tingling/numbness on the outside of my calf and a large part of my foot, including big toe. Going to hit the chiropracter on Monday, but wondering how serious this is.

I always get the insane leg pain during labor. What helps is for the midwife to press (with her palms) the tops of the hip bones in toward the body, "opening" things up. It took the pain from a 10 to a 2, seriously.

Now that said, I had no residual pain in my legs afterward. I also suggest the chiro. Might be that things are just a little crooked.

Congrats on the baby!!

I thought I had broken or severely sprained my ankle, but it is nerve pain from the last week of pregnancy and labor/delivery. I am going to try and get into the chiropractor this week. The doctor assumed sprain, said to brace it and rest it, I did...it still hurts, plus I have tingling and numbness in my 3 outer toes. I also have a number spot on my right shoulder blade, that one is weird.

I had a tingly toe after my first was born and it was a pinched nerve. One visit and it was 100% better.

Don't know. Mine is just a numb thigh (outside). I can feel pressure, but that is pretty much it. It started about halfway through my twin pregnancy. I thought it would go away, but it is still here 19. I really don't notice it anymore. I hope the chiropractor can help!

• 2 weeks later...

I would look for a physical therapist specializing in women's health. This list is a starting point, but there are other PTs who have experience with women's health and postpartum issues that are not going to be on this list. You can try calling outpatient orthopedic PT offices and asking if they have anyone who does a good bit of women's health, and if not, do they know someone in your area who does.

http://www.womenshealthapta.org/find-a-physical-therapist/index.cfm

Weird! I had no idea this was so common. I had a big, tingling, numb spot on my outer right thigh after having an emergency c-sec with my ds. I actually did regain feeling and the tingling went away, but it took years (maybe 3?) I thought I was going to have it forever, but after having dd it just started going away slowly.

I would look for a physical therapist specializing in women's health. This list is a starting point, but there are other PTs who have experience with women's health and postpartum issues that are not going to be on this list. You can try calling outpatient orthopedic PT offices and asking if they have anyone who does a good bit of women's health, and if not, do they know someone in your area who does.

http://www.womenshealthapta.org/find-a-physical-therapist/index.cfm

ooh, thanks...I have a friend that is always talking about a great physical therapist that deals wth women's issues...I 'll find out who it is. Hadn't even thought of that.

I have a numb/tingling spot on my thigh from my first birth, and that baby is 16 years old. The doctors have told me that it is nerve damage.

Mine just turned 13 and I still can't feel the outer portion of my right thigh. I had the pain during labour, but had a c-section later to deliver. I was told it was nerve damage, and that there really is nothing to be done about it. It either goes away or it doesn't. Sorry.

If it helps any, after a while, you get used to it and don't notice it about 95% of the time. It isn't debilitating for me, just kind of occasionally odd feeling. I do sometimes notice bruises there and wonder how they got there because I don't feel it if I've knocked into something there, and I kind of forget if I did or not.

Edited by Audrey