Menu

Ergo, Boba or Beco?

Little man is 5 weeks. He is number 5. I have borrowed a ring sling and a wrap and they're not working for me. I want straps and buckles not reams of fabric and I want to be truly hands free. I intend using it around the house whilst schooling and working, as well as out and about. I've narrowed it down to these 3 - which should I choose?

I like my Ergo just fine but haven't tried the others. I know some local friends (one of whom is short like me) really like the Boba. Can you try one of them before buying?

With a 5-week-old, at least with the Ergo, you will need an infant insert for a few months. Not sure about the other two. The Ergo can be used without the infant insert from about 3 months on the front and about 5-6 months on the back.

Well I'm no help. I loved my wrap and hated anything with buckles. I did use a Babyhawk mei tai and I liked that a lot, especially when my son was older and enjoyed the back carry--but it still tied. I liked the fit I could get with it (I agree with the previous poster that body type and shape probably has a lot to do with it). The Ergo is way too contraption-y for me, and gosh it looks hot. If it were my choice out of the three, I'd probably go with the Boba--less fabric, looks more flexible/able to move with you, looks like I could get a better fit. But I obviously have the opposite preference in baby carriers than you, so maybe that's an indication of what not to order. :D

Congrats on the new little man!

:bigear: I am contemplating the same question. (It's good to know that short women have preferred the Boba. I've never even seen that one irl, but I'm going to check it out.)

I used homemade Mei Tei's with my older 3dc. I'll probably make another (couple hundred :blushing:) for this babe. I like the MT b/c it's super easy to stuff in a bag, leave in the van, wash in the machine. If dh is going to carry baby though, we need straps and buckles.

It seems it would be better to try them on if you could, I have an Ergo I love. The Boca and Beca just look like Ergo knock-offs in pretty fabric. I didn't find the Ergo restrictive personally, I could do anything I wanted in it pretty much. I found wraps much more restrictive as there is all this blasted fabric everywhere. I went with the Ergo as the reviews were so good on it. I find the pretty colors of the Beca tempting but I think I'll stick to the tried and true Ergo.

Erm can I make another suggestion, I suggest the Kinderpack. Love my Kinderpack. I liked my Beco, hated my Ergo, and never used the Boba so no feeling either way there. I really suggest thebabywearer for good reviews on all of the carriers. I absolutely adore my Kinderpack though, it is my favorite carrier of all the ones I have used and tried and I have used and tried a lot.

I love my Beco! I've used it to carry my sleeping 3 year old around at Disney for an hour without a problem. I also love that the version I have has a built in infant part. My DH and I both use it to carry DS (almost 2) on our backs all the time. I've had it since he was a couple of months old and have loved it for every stage.

:party:congrats

no help on the sling though . I really liked Baby-Bjorn

Thank you:001_smile:

Well I'm no help. I loved my wrap and hated anything with buckles. I did use a Babyhawk mei tai and I liked that a lot, especially when my son was older and enjoyed the back carry--but it still tied. I liked the fit I could get with it (I agree with the previous poster that body type and shape probably has a lot to do with it). The Ergo is way too contraption-y for me, and gosh it looks hot. If it were my choice out of the three, I'd probably go with the Boba--less fabric, looks more flexible/able to move with you, looks like I could get a better fit. But I obviously have the opposite preference in baby carriers than you, so maybe that's an indication of what not to order. :D

Congrats on the new little man!

That's actually quite helpful.

Thanks to everybody! I don't know anywhere I can try these. I am 5ft6in and medium build. Does that make a difference?

I loved my Ergo, but then it was stolen and I had to replace it. I decided to get a Becco Gemini. LOVE it! It has more carry options than the Ergo and is a bit more streamlined and less bulky. Both are good options, though. In my neck of the woods, you can often find used Ergos on craigslist fairly cheap, but it is harder to find a used Becco. If I was buying used, I would get an Ergo; if I was buying new, I get a Becco.